Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hyundai to become 3rd best selling brand

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...o-krafcik.html
who would of thought this would ever happen??Hyundai have come along way and dont look like they are standing still either.

Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Hyundai to become 3rd best selling brand

Me!

Seen how Koreans work and knew it was when, not if.

They are swamping the market to try and stem the loss of sales from the Chinese cars that will swamp the market soon enough.

Not bad at all for a little peninsula of 50 Mil that was a war ravaged, 3rd world country just 60 years ago!

Well done to them

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I hate the fact that I think the i40 wagon TDi is a beaut car :( Why cant we get the Mondeo wagon in TDI + manual!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I hate the fact that I think the i40 wagon TDi is a beaut car :( Why cant we get the Mondeo wagon in TDI + manual!
Nah, pretty sure this one doesn't have rear fogs, so is 'bad weather fail':-)))

Or is it the i45 without? Meh........

Besides, Hyundai don't stock/supply warning triangles, unlike Ford!! They do offer nice rubber mats though. C'mon Aussie - get on board.

Have to admit something, back in 1987 my dopey old man bought one of the first Excel sedans, fantastic metallic grey paintwork (seriously), and an engine that could 'just' stretch a rubber band. 1.5litre.

We loaded it up with five adults and 'took-off' up_the_hill at our then Sydney Castlecove home. Twenty five hours later we made it to the top! Best laugh for ages, engine began to free-up a bit with time (naturally), and the old man had it up to 145km/h on the F3 at one point a year or so later, uphill!

Kept it a few years and beat the hell out of it in paddocks and moutains, got it to over 346,000 kays before retiring it.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not surprised.....great car....cheap price BIL just bought one of those 7 seater SUV thingys.......1 or 2% finance

build quality is very good, drivability excellent....... longevity ????????

aussie car manufacturers have had the writing on the wall for many years

dont know what the answer is but to quote an infamous banana bender "we are in peril of being over run"

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai's growth is evident and based on their growth as a quality company - but to this day i dont think i would buy any of their cars.
They produce cheap hatcbacks ,sonata , ugly ( has to be said ) small SUV (ix35) and what else ? Veloster is a step in the right direction and so is ILoad but the rest is not impressive.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well id never be seen dead in one 5years ago how times change.was sad to see the xr6 go but time was right.

heres some pics of the new car -

it will be interesting to see how it holds up compared with the ford.so far so good its full of features nice to drive and looks the part (just a bit slow lol) gets 6l/100 with 5year unlimited km warranty
Old 13-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
RASER
Banned

Wink Re: Hyundai to become 3rd best selling brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
.....great car....cheap price
No, and not any more.

Won't be able to compete with the Chinese as a bottom feeder, and if the Japanese ever wake up from some sort of slumber they are in, the Koreans will be crushed, destroyed, repelled and pushed all the way back to Pyongyang.

The question is what the hell are the Japanese brands doing? [F/A.Ed]

Korean brands....The End in Japan:

http://wot.motortrend.com/hyundai-le...ales-6756.html

Be like buying a brand new 10 year old Japanese car

Last edited by RASER; 13-07-2012 at 09:13 AM.
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
GT-E

My mum just got a brand new i30 top spec model and you would be hard pressed picking the difference in comparison to a BMW that is 3 times the price.
Great little car with all the bells and whistles all for $30k.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Sonata (i45) 2.0 GTDI has a lot more power and torque than Ford's 2.0L EcoBoost. They offer top quality and features with a minimal price and the most impressive warranty. They are also up there on the styling. Hyundai is doing everything right.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Rodge
Banned

I owned a Hyundai Sante Fe in 2007 for 7 months before I couldn't stand it any more but that's another story, the purpose of this post is that I recall back then they claimed that 7% of all gross revenue went back into R & D.

That's serious investment and I have to agree, its paying dividends. Hyundai i45 won the coveted Internationa Car of the Year last year and is a very good looking car IMO.

Could get a 2011 demo Elite spec 2.4 engine direct injected for only $29K Kiwi that gets 7.9 L/100 km's. Sometimes in a quiet moment I ponder why I persist in buying FPV's the last of which cost me more than three times that and uses nearly twice the fuel...

They've come a long way in the last 5 years, no question about that.

Last edited by Rodge; 11-07-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

^^Because a FPV is more than just transport. They are making very good cars but nothing overly exciting yet. But if they get their numbers up hero models will follow.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
^^Because a FPV is more than just transport. They are making very good cars but nothing overly exciting yet. But if they get their numbers up hero models will follow.
It's sad their exciting cars aren't sold in Australia yet - Genesis 5.0 DI V8, Equus, i45 Turbo, Genesis coupe, but they do make exciting cars. Hyundai got where it did because other manufacturers got too comfortable, did nothing, laughed at them (seeing them as newcomers), now they are really on top of the game.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
It's sad their exciting cars aren't sold in Australia yet - Genesis 5.0 DI V8, Equus, i45 Turbo, Genesis coupe, but they do make exciting cars. Hyundai got where it did because other manufacturers got too comfortable, did nothing, laughed at them (seeing them as newcomers), now they are really on top of the game.
Loved the look of the older model Equus cars. The limo version reminded me of something a gangster would get driven around in, especially in black. I wish they were available in RHD, would have looked into importing a few... 2 or 3 in procession would look great....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FPV have been round since 2002 its now 2012 maybe time for some overly exciting cars is now.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxa384
FPV have been round since 2002 its now 2012 maybe time for some overly exciting cars is now.
Huh... I thought that FPV were making hero cars that were overly exciting now, powerful force fed factory backed street ready cars that would make Humphrey B Bear look like Ayrton Senna! Sheeesh what more do people want

To the OP, the Koreans have done well following in the Japanese footsteps. If they had right 4wd then in another decade or so you might even see them challenging for the top spot even.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #17
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Within 10 years they have produced something that gets me just that little bit excited everyday ...... I think that's a hell of an achievement.

Hyundai make great looking shopping trolleys but has taken them how many years to get there? Still ..... a great effort by them and in a relatively short time in the auto landscape but not for everyone for sure.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I heard today that the big H are pulling out of the Australian truck market after less than 12 months.

So apparently they are fallible.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
I heard today that the big H are pulling out of the Australian truck market after less than 12 months.

So apparently they are fallible.
Taking a product out of one market makes them "fallible?" Could just be a smart business decision? It's more important to be profitable than to penetrate the market at all costs.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #20
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you mis-read Polyal's post. I think he wrote it as
^^Because a FPV is more than just transport. They (Hyundai) are making very good cars but nothing overly exciting yet. But if they get their numbers up hero models will follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
It's funny people in here bang on about how Hyundai don't make exciting cars etc.
It's not our fault the only release their snoozemobile here and not their exciting coupes with v8s.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No great surprise...as with Japanese makers, they start out small and fairly ordinary, and eventually dominate the market with standard tactics like filling even basic cars with stuff that was, or even still is, an option on far more expensive cars.
The new Veloster Turbo is particularly nice. They should sell a motza of them.

One quick look at their website shows the standard features of the bog stock basic i20 bottom of the range model comes with:
*15” steel wheels with full size spare
*5 star ANCAP safety rating
*Day/night rear view mirror
*Electric folding side mirrors (5 door only)
*Body coloured exterior door handles, side mirrors, and front and rear bumpers
*MP3 / WMA / CD player, AM / FM tuner with integrated Bluetooth® media streaming and handsfree^
*AUX & USB audio input with iPod® connectivity
*4 speakers including front tweeters
*Glove box cooling system
*Cloth seats
*3 child seat anchor point brackets in rear
*60/40 split folding rear seat

I think some of those features still won't be found in even upper level Holdens and Falcons as standard much less the base models.

Basically, if you can have a massive production facility, and pump out enough cars, you can afford to fill them with standard features.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I had a brand new I20 hire car down in Melbourne last year, I was surprised at all the Tech stuff in the interior! Very nice car, didn't like the engine/gearbox combo, but that might just be me.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
Rodge
Banned

^^ Agreed. This business of them making their own steel and all the adds regarding their paint quality..they're really pushing that and its smart marketing IMHO.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #24
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
^^ Agreed. This business of them making their own steel and all the adds regarding their paint quality..they're really pushing that and its smart marketing IMHO.
Not sure if they ever made their own steel or tyres, but Ford used to make nearly everything for their cars once......

Ed
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I own a 1996 Hyundai sonata as a daily, it's a great thing and I can see why Hyundai is going so well. The sonata might be a fairly boring car but it's reliable, economical and easy to drive.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #26
prasac
Banned

after seeing the Genesis Coupe in the US a few years back i was telling everyone about it and how Hyundai have changed, their 4.6L n 5L V8 motors rivaled in power n technology what Ford has released. i'm waiting for the Genesis to get released here in Oz, having grown up with Ford my whole life i am surprised a Jap car has got me so interested for so long good on Hyundai
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #27
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's funny people in here bang on about how Hyundai don't make exciting cars etc. Have a look at their North American lineup. Genesis Coupe available with 2L turbo, 3.8L V6 or 5L V8, RWD 2 door coupes that weigh around 1500kgs. Go, stop and steer like cars quadruple their price. That's just the start... You have the Equus luxury line, the Sonata with hybrid and advanced diesel engines.

The Koreans have been on top of their game for years. Only just now they're starting to bring more of their lineup to Australia with the Veloster, i45, i40 Wagon, new i30 and soon to be released i40 sedan.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #28
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's funny people in here bang on about how Hyundai don't make exciting cars etc. Have a look at their North American lineup. Genesis Coupe available with 2L turbo, 3.8L V6 or 5L V8, RWD 2 door coupes that weigh around 1500kgs. Go, stop and steer like cars quadruple their price. That's just the start... You have the Equus luxury line, the Sonata with hybrid and advanced diesel engines.

The Koreans have been on top of their game for years. Only just now they're starting to bring more of their lineup to Australia with the Veloster, i45, i40 Wagon, new i30 and soon to be released i40 sedan.

None of their "exciting" cars are available here ...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #29
EF-MattyB
EF-Weapon

The missus and i are awaiting delivery of our runout i30 Trophy. Since they have just brought out the new model, we managed to get the older one (still MY2012) for $20k driveaway. Not too shabby for a car with power windows, cruise, bluetooth, rims and spoiler, and leather wheel etc. Not to mention 5 yrs unlimited klms.
EF-MattyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #30
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

I could be the only person here who has learned to check their facts before rambling.

The Genesis coupe DOES NOT come with the 4.6L or 5L V8. the 342hp 3.8L V6 is the top engine in that car. And no wonder... it's nearly as powerful as our turbocharged inline 6. But just falls short in power, and a bit more in torque and torque@revs.

The Genesis Sedan comes with the 3.8L V6, 4.6L V8, and 5.0L V8. All come standard with an 8 speed transmission. The car can weigh between 1730kg, and 1850kg depending on powertrain, trim, and options.

However it's still not as economical as our Falcon in the 6 cylinder dept. Although that could be attributed to differing fuel economy tests. Both the Genesis, and Equus in my humble opinion are also ugly. Bearable at angles, but still ugly.

Hyundai are nothing short of a power house. And unlike our own FoA, they aren't becoming stagnate, and laying down to die. They just keep fighting with their products, and advertising. And good on 'em, hard work and effort should be repaid in kind. Just look at their marketing on the US website. OMG... The Koreans Are Marketing RWD!!!! - At least someone is. They're actually telling people why their car is better, why it uses this, why it uses that. Look out established market should these cars come down under.

To the OP. The Veloster is a funky little car. Just such a shame it had to be a Falcon to go in order to get it.