Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
weairy
Piston Broke

Default 4cyl Falcon - Thoughts and Reviews?

Well the EcoBoost Falcon has been rocking around for nearly 12 months now and I haven't really seen anything on it in awhile until I saw that the Ecoboost in now P Plater exempt.
How are these little 2lt turboed environmentally friendly Falcons? Is there a big power difference or does the turbo make up for the shortage of cylinders? After 12mths are they still running smooth or are they knackered?
Thoughts, comments, feedback appreciated.

Sincerely,
An Uneconomical 6 Cylinder Lover

Old 08-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: 4cyl Falcon - Thoughts and Reviews?

Maybe if we can find the one person who owns it we can get some answers.

No one knows about it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well perhaps if they bothered to spend more than five cents advertising it, things would be different...

After all, it's not the car that the old XD with the proposed 2 ltr engine in it would have been...all the road tests I saw about the Ecoboost Falcon sang it's praises, and said the normal motorist (who is the vast majority of buyers...only a tiny percentage of buyers even care about 0-100 times) would not notice any difference in performance over the six.

I still maintain they should have...at least for states like Queensland where there's a marked difference in registration costs between a four and a six...advertised it alongside a smaller car with similar economy, and pushed the idea of how much space and metal you got for your money, asking which car you would rather be in.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
glavas

Haha i new it was a bad idea. Looks like im right no sane person would by a car with less than 6 cylinders. Ford should have picked up on holdens mistake of star fire.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
ohzone
Dent Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas View Post
Haha i new it was a bad idea. Looks like im right no sane person would by a car with less than 6 cylinders. Ford should have picked up on holdens mistake of star fire.
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas View Post
Can't say 6 cylinder sales have been wonderful. How many Ecoboost ads on TV have you seen lately?

Maybe read a little more before you compare Star fire to Ecoboost.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 09-11-2012 at 06:09 PM.
#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh it's so FRUSTRATING! I did not know they have been around for 12 months!!! I thought they were in the pipeline.
This is the cherry on the non-existent marketing cake.
Would not surprise me if they reintroduced the finger walking ad for the 4 cyl Falcon.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy View Post
Well the EcoBoost Falcon has been rocking around for nearly 12 months now and I haven't really seen anything on it in awhile until I saw that the Ecoboost in now P Plater exempt.
How are these little 2lt turboed environmentally friendly Falcons? Is there a big power difference or does the turbo make up for the shortage of cylinders? After 12mths are they still running smooth or are they knackered?
Thoughts, comments, feedback appreciated.

Sincerely,
An Uneconomical 6 Cylinder Lover
There isn't a big power difference. It IS more powerful than any standard Falcon six pre-BA and I have no doubt the EcoBoost four would beat the pants of a stock BA/BF four-speed off the line. I've driven the EcoBoost four and it's magnificent: smooth, quiet, and powerful.

As far as I'm concerned, the standard six has become redundant, unless one needs the torque for the towing. Many acceleration tests between the EcoBoost and the standard six cylinder has the EcoBoost only a couple of tenths slower to 100km/h. I have also not noticed any turbo lag on my drive of the EcoBoost Falcon.

I love the straight six. I love the effortless torque at low range, and perhaps more importantly, I love the way it sounds. But the EcoBoost is just that much better in every aspect except for aural pleasure.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
There isn't a big power difference. It IS more powerful than any standard Falcon six pre-BA and I have no doubt the EcoBoost four would beat the pants of a stock BA/BF four-speed off the line. I've driven the EcoBoost four and it's magnificent: smooth, quiet, and powerful.

As far as I'm concerned, the standard six has become redundant, unless one needs the torque for the towing. Many acceleration tests between the EcoBoost and the standard six cylinder has the EcoBoost only a couple of tenths slower to 100km/h. I have also not noticed any turbo lag on my drive of the EcoBoost Falcon.

I love the straight six. I love the effortless torque at low range, and perhaps more importantly, I love the way it sounds. But the EcoBoost is just that much better in every aspect except for aural pleasure.

And there's the rub...people always...always use the excuse that Ford (and Holden) need to keep making the V8 and big engines "for people towing big boats and horse floats"...

Honestly? When was the last time you saw a "big boat or horse float" behind a Falcon or Commodore? Now how many have you seen behind four wheel drives of various descriptions? The staggering majority of people who want to tow something big on a regular basis do the sensible thing and buy a fourbie. I honestly think that way more people simply like the idea of a V8 still being available, even if they'll never buy one. It's becoming the same with the six...we only took the six because, at the time, they didn't make the four cylinder G6E. If they had, that is what we'd have in the driveway. The engine hardly came into our equations when buying the car...we liked the space, the style, and the trade in. I didn't even ask about power, acceleration, but did ask about economy and servicing costs, and I'm someone who loves worked motors and hard running engines.

The six is indeed becoming redundant...they should face reality, phase it out, and spend development money wasted at the moment on bigger and bigger V8's and spend it on sticking a V6 turbo diesel in the Falcon.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Honestly? When was the last time you saw a "big boat or horse float" behind a Falcon or Commodore?
Yesterday, three of them (2 boats, one float). Sold my XC Ute recently which will have a 351 put in and tow another Falcon to the track.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by weairy View Post
Well the EcoBoost Falcon has been rocking around for nearly 12 months now
Really?
I thought that Ecoboost was launched in April.........

EcoLPI has been around for over 12 months...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
BaraFGXR6

Someone mod it, market the mods, market the performance.

Then people will buy it. Cheap falcon, up boost, make new sr20/boat love child.

Ah... 240rwkw EB4.... The ultimate Loveboat!
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaraFGXR6 View Post
Someone mod it, market the mods, market the performance.

Then people will buy it. Cheap falcon, up boost, make new sr20/boat love child.

Ah... 240rwkw EB4.... The ultimate Loveboat!
Yeah that, or use the money you would have spent on an EB plus mods and just buy an XR6T.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id have one if I was buying another Falcon over a 6 cylinder any day... Its a great little package, shame they dont seem to stock many or advertise. Try getting a G6E Ecoboost in QLD... You will be waiting till next year now.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
JG34JA

From what I've garnered 5-6L/100km highway driving too. Why on earth is this not more successful?

(I know, it's unknown. C'mon Ford, drive one down a ski slope and tell us about it, or something!)
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am I right in understanding nobody has modified one of these? Surprised Herrod et al haven't jumped on the bandwagon .I was hoping to see on in Hot Tuner this year.
To anyone who thinks its a dumb idea, why? The dynamics are way better and you could have the best of both worlds economy wise.
After driving one, I thought it was great . Only criticisms IMO, engine note lacked character, and the steering really needs to be quicker (less turns to lock) to capitalise on
a) less weight on front
b) all weight now behind axle line like VE.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Great cars and are priced well compared to other cars out there. QUICKER than an I6 around the twisties, no turbo lag, cheap to run, driving it you would not know what was under the bonnet except for the unmistakable sound of a 4 every now and again. Unforunatley unknown to the general whitegoods purchases .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Am I right in understanding nobody has modified one of these? Surprised Herrod et al haven't jumped on the bandwagon .I was hoping to see on in Hot Tuner this year.
To anyone who thinks its a dumb idea, why? The dynamics are way better and you could have the best of both worlds economy wise.
After driving one, I thought it was great . Only criticisms IMO, engine note lacked character, and the steering really needs to be quicker (less turns to lock) to capitalise on
a) less weight on front
b) all weight now behind axle line like VE.
If Herrod's did their sums and based on the amount sold, if 10% (would be less) decided to modify the engine, that would account for 1 customer this year ....... (actually 0.8!)

Anyways ..... these cars are not marketed (?) towards the modified car market but for the A to B peoples. Same people who would buy a Camry ....... and those types are not quite renowned for modification.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
If Herrod's did their sums and based on the amount sold, if 10% (would be less) decided to modify the engine, that would account for 1 customer this year ....... (actually 0.8!)
So you'd have to have lost your head to buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
One interesting point I have just uncovered. I thought that there would be lots of these appearing in Telstra car parks but it appears that Ford has been completely removed from the fleet.
That's because Telstra loved the Falcon Wagon. No Falcon Wagon... No Falcon at all.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
That's because Telstra loved the Falcon Wagon. No Falcon Wagon... No Falcon at all.
That has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #20
JG34JA

You may think that way but the techs I worked with thought highly of the package. No package, no sale.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #21
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
That has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.
Beg to differ here... I see a lot of Telstra cars in Wagon style being a Commodore. News ones at that.

Telstra don't want Territory's, so Commodores are it.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One interesting point I have just uncovered. I thought that there would be lots of these appearing in Telstra car parks but it appears that Ford has been completely removed from the fleet.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
There was a kind of falling out with the Telstra/Ford agreement earlier this year when Ford decided to change carriers.

I can't remember if they switched to Vodaphone or Optus but this is the reason Telstra dropped Ford from their fleet selection.

Haven't seen many of these on the roads and I think it's because people are still buying smaller cars even though the Falcon EB4 drinks about the same amount of fuel...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #24
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
There was a kind of falling out with the Telstra/Ford agreement earlier this year when Ford decided to change carriers.

I can't remember if they switched to Vodaphone or Optus but this is the reason Telstra dropped Ford from their fleet selection.

Haven't seen many of these on the roads and I think it's because people are still buying smaller cars even though the Falcon EB4 drinks about the same amount of fuel...
Less than a Mazda 3 actually, and not much more than a Focus petrol. I've been seeing a few around recently, all in G6E trim. I've even begun to notice an increase in Mondeo Ecoboosts (maybe this might just be because Ford have begun to add an Ecoboost badge to the bootlid though).
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Don't worry about modifications, they will come because the ST Focus uses the same engine and the boffins overseas in Europe are onto it.

I guess something developed for the ST Focus would work with the Falcon considering its the same engine, besides the obvious.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #26
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Don't worry about modifications, they will come because the ST Focus uses the same engine and the boffins overseas in Europe are onto it.

I guess something developed for the ST Focus would work with the Falcon considering its the same engine, besides the obvious.
Or the American conversion for the Focus.. a 5 litre V8.
I think it's the stigma of a "Big car with a small engine", people are still haunted with the memories of a 4 cylinder Commodore. I personally wouldn't buy or even consider one,have no interest in owning one at all.(just MY opinion)
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i seem to recall reading an article recently about an ecoboosted vehicle with 300 hp, that`s all i got :(.
edit: now i think about it.............. it was 350 hp.....but don`t quote me on that.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #28
weairy
Piston Broke

So by all means it sounds like they aren't power starved. I remember my Pa telling me the story when years ago everyone bought a 4cyl Cortina (I think it was a cortina?) Because we were going to run out of fuel etc etc and they turned out to be a gutless lump of rolling ****.

That's immediately what I thought of when I thought 4 cylinder falcon. Being ignorant and young I didn't know they were turboed.

The only thing that turns me off them is that I bought an XR6 for 6 cylinders of ballsy, torquey roar when the foot was slammed down. If I wanted 4 cylinder economu without space compromise, I'd look at a Camry.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Essentially aren't they trying to enter a market dominated by cheap well built Japanese cars with bigger warranties?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
weairy
Piston Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Essentially aren't they trying to enter a market dominated by cheap well built Japanese cars with bigger warranties?
I wouldn't say cheap by any means... Looked at a Toyota price list of late? Even the Hyundai I30 has gone through the roof...