Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
b2428

Default skoda octavia

I'm looking at updating cars and high on my list is it must be a Wagon and must be manual. I would love a diesel Prado but unfortunately finances say no. Just wondering if anybody has driven any of the non rs model octavias in manual trim and how they go compared to a ma tdci. Sorry if this is wrong spot and if it is can the post please be moved.

Regards. Brian.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
Old 17-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Default Re: skoda octavia

I would get the Skoda simply because you can actually get a manual. Thanks FoA!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new Octavia looks to be grate value.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the Ford dealer at Nowra is any indication - it's also the Skoda dealer and the staff are getting themselves into Skodas, they love them. Oh dear!

They're getting bigger, the RS almost looks like a Superb unless you do a double take.

I drove a 2006 TDI manual Octavia 12,000 km in Europe last year and I have to admit (washes mouth out) I was over the moon about it. Very sweet gearbox too. Built like a brick, drives like a good RWD, good up to about 200 km/h () and plenty of room in the wagon. It already had 200,000 km on it when I took it and still going faultlessly like a new car!

But I haven't driven a Mondeo to compare, sorry. I will if it ever comes time to change but my missus won't give up on the Territory so it looks like we'll be there to the bitter end and beyond.
Old 18-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a drive of a 2013 plated pre-release Octavia and I have to say these things are built to a very high standard! The interior is a fantastic place to be. This one was the turbo 1.4l so I would imagine a RS will be a ripper!
Old 18-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
I would imagine a RS will be a ripper!
Plus it looks great.

This user likes this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
HULK_I6T
Banned

Im picking up the brand new Skoda Octavia on Monday night to drive for 2 weeks.

brand new shape and model. will report back in.
Old 18-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
HULK_I6T
Banned

Hi,

Skoda is more than a decent offering. Whilst made in Check republis they are owned by VW and share their quality standards. Many of the motors are detuned VW/Audi motors. Even the audi/VW guys rate it as a good value offering.

I will let you know what i think of the new model next monday night. Ive never seen it but told its pretty flash. I think the base price is around $24k but this one is optioned up a little and will retail around the $40k mark.
Old 18-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
b2428

I was thinking a just superseded high spec manual. Would seriously consider a low Kay rs diesel Wagon. Would love a rs petrol but can't afford to run due to insurance etc

Old 18-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
adumb
FG G6ET

My old man has had a Octavia RS for about 2.5 years now, no complaints. The interior is very nice and is packed with features.
Old 18-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Ringo
I see you....

Skoda are part of the VW Group so have a lot of shared componentry from Audi and VW.

The styling may not be as sharp as VW but the value for money is certainly there. The fuel economy is also amazing. I have a VW Jetta 1.4 TSI and it is stunning.

Resale value and dealer network is its achillies heel but if don't care about these two things because there is a dealer nearby and your planning on holding for 4 years or more then go for it.
Old 18-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
stevz
Banned

I really, really, really can't see what the attraction to these cars is. The styling is bland and boring and looks like something out of the 1990's. The interiors are much the same. IMO the use of VW tech is a bad thing, considering all the trouble VW has had in the last couple of years.
With the way things are going in Australia, I predict Skoda will be one of the smaller brands who will pack up and leave due to poor sales. IIRC they have already done this previously in the 1970's.
The brand has virtually zero recognition here and they are really nothing more than overpriced, rehashed VW junk IMO. Their appalling resale values confirm this.
Who would buy a Skoda when there is so much better out there for the money?
Old 19-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
b2428

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
I really, really, really can't see what the attraction to these cars is. The styling is bland and boring and looks like something out of the 1990's. The interiors are much the same. IMO the use of VW tech is a bad thing, considering all the trouble VW has had in the last couple of years.
With the way things are going in Australia, I predict Skoda will be one of the smaller brands who will pack up and leave due to poor sales. IIRC they have already done this previously in the 1970's.
The brand has virtually zero recognition here and they are really nothing more than overpriced, rehashed VW junk IMO. Their appalling resale values confirm this.
Name a new or near new Ford that meets both being manual and a Wagon and it will go on the list. For the size and features it is lining up to be a choice between a skoda or a subaru. But even then it's gotta be an outback and there not all that large inside.

To be honest I don't like the first models front end but for some reason quite keen on the update. Like the lights. I bleed blue so will always have at least on Ford but for the meeting the needs of the misses and myself and a future family need a Wagon and want a manual.

Old 24-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
HULK_I6T
Banned

Ok here is my review of new skoda octavia. To best test it i drove it back to back with a vw passat v6 4motion (basically the old r36)

first the look.... the model i took was the skoda octavia elegance with 1.8tsi motor. Full leather seats and technology pack with dsg gearbox. Car was a wagon. Very very impressed with the look. Its a brand new design and you wouldnt pick it from an audi. It looks fantastic.

interior, car had full leather trim and technology pack. Again imoressive, similar to the passat. I thought the steering wheel was better. Very decent stereo and dvd/cd from glove box. Had all the gadgets you would expect, even the cruise control brakes if you approach another car which didnt in the passat. About as roomy as the passat also. There were a few extra niceties in the passat, a few buttons that do nothing but slots for some sort of button. The passat was better but the octavia was very very decent and nothing to fault. All felt tight and of high quality.

the go...

fitted with the 1.8tsi motor the boost spooled up very very quickly. 0-100 in low 7s is very very decent. They really do charge away hard off the line. Performance overall is very strong. Im told even the base model 1.4tsi is a decent engine too.

the passat is fitted with the 3.6L v6 with dsg and 4motion. This thing launches very hard off the line. Drives much the same as the octavia but just more of the same. Hard charging off the line and very brisk everywhere else. The v6 has that r36/r32 howl to it that they are kniwn fir. 0-100 in the passat is supposed to be high 5s.. so pretty darn quick. Just a more muscular version of the octavia which offers very decent performance in its own right.

Would i buy the octavia. The version i had cannot be faulted and im told the rs model is ready for release also. Its a $40000 car is the spec i have, the passat is a $65000 car. Overall the passat v6 4motion is better but not sure if its a $25000 better car.

The skoda octavia elegance delivers, it looks like an audi, quality of the audi/vw and shares the same motors too. Its a bargain next to the vw/audi. Basically same car.
Old 24-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mother in law bought Skoda Yeti TDi DSG - I drove it 1000km to deliver to nsw - great little car , economical and very torquey engine , nice flexible interior layout , feels solid and well built , quirky exterior - I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 25-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #16
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
But if it was made in Australia, it would be the best thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately, your bias shines through every time and what it does is discredits what you say - even when you have a valid point.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
7 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
But if it was made in Australia, it would be the best thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately, your bias shines through every time and what it does is discredits what you say - even when you have a valid point.
Pot meet kettle..... Sounds exactly like you with your anti Holden bias, but that's different isn't it?
Old 25-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Pot meet kettle..... Sounds exactly like you with your anti Holden bias, but that's different isn't it?
Yes it is different... I'm on a Ford forum. The last place I would expect to be seeing the promotion of Holden products.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 18-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look forward to hearing f6_benito. By the way, you might want to Czech out the spelling of the check republic, or cheque republic as the case may be

The point is it's Czech engineering quality which nowadays is better than German engineering quality - well it always was at least as good, they've had a couple of hundred years as one of the major European manufacturing nations to get it right. They just had to get past the management slippage that occurred during communism but, they're now well and truly back to where they were.

All the quality/reliability/warranty surveys rate Skodas higher than VWs and Audis. My German quality control engineer mate tells me the best-built and most reliable German cars nowadays are Fords! Sharing leading-edge but failure-prone VW componentry is a risk with Skodas but they tend to use previous-model proven stuff.
Old 18-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stevz..Citroen, Peugot, Renault, Proton will leave before Skoda...Skoda Supreme is a big car...
Old 18-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
9lives

Subaru Forester..... Another great versatile wagon. Wife drives one. Fantastic car. Skodas are nice with their vw links though

Last edited by 9lives; 18-12-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 18-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #22
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my 2 bosses each had a TDI DSG RS Wagon, those things go like you know what off a shovel.Had them on lease for 4 years, with a few niggles but were overall very happy with the experience.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 19-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #23
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least one person on the VW Watercooled forum is saying the 132kw petrol version of the new Octavia goes as quick (or not much slower) than the current model RS petrol.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 19-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

the only thing that worries me about the tsi 1.4 is the possibly monumental repair costs should it go pear-shaped out of warranty - i was very close to buying a Polo GTi not long ago but lost my nerve.
Old 19-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
the only thing that worries me about the tsi 1.4 is the possibly monumental repair costs should it go pear-shaped out of warranty - i was very close to buying a Polo GTi not long ago but lost my nerve.
Imagine having to replace a fuel pump, injectors and a few other bits and pieces and being charged $22,000 or something stupid !!
oh hang on, that was a territory owner on this forum
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
Old 19-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #26
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

alright then? who would pay 22 grand for injectors and a fuel pump?
Old 19-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Not me. But that's what ford were trying to charge this poor fella.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11405223
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
Old 24-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Injection pump and injectors on common rail diesel stuff is big $$$, probably not $22K but the injectors for my Focus are $920 at staff prices.

Injection pump for my 6BT which is old school direct mechanical injection is $2000, common rail is much more $$$.
Old 24-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Would own a VRS Octavia no worries.
Old 24-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #30
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Octavia isn't too bad up to 200 either. It doesn't get much past idle in Australia ;)

Comparing with a Passat is really comparing with the next level up - Passat is the Superb equivalent although smaller inside. But I guess as the new Octavia is now Czech-designed, larger and not on an equivalent VW platform the old comparisons break down.
Closed Thread