Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Police LPG Falcons = Lemon?

NSW Police union demanding LPG falcons be pulled from service due to ongoing reliability problems .

Quote:
"UNION bosses have demanded that one in five NSW police cars be taken off urgent duty because the LP gas systems they use can cause dangerous sudden breakdowns."
"In a green-friendly move expected to save millions of dollars and spare the environment hundreds of tonnes in harmful emissions, NSW Police embarked on a program to convert 700 petrol-guzzling cars to gas three years ago.

But the ambitious plan has backfired because the six-cylinder Falcon patrol vehicles keep conking out, leaving officers stranded."
"In numerous cases the LPG cars have shut down without warning during emergency response calls, raising concerns about serious accidents occurring, senior police sources say.

Elsewhere, officers have been left stranded at busy intersections or simply embarrassed by the side of the road waiting for a tow."
"Police sources said the problem was occurring almost daily.

"Most of the time it's been when cars are on urgent duties," said one officer, who asked not to be identified.
Force sources said the car suddenly lost engine power, steering and braking capacity - just a day after being repaired for a similar failure on June 5.

"If you're driving at 100kmh when the engine dies and the power steering drops out, you're in trouble, big trouble - especially if you're in the middle of a pursuit and on a bend. It has to be [only] a matter of time before someone's killed.

"Another scenario is that the fuel gauges seem to break and no one's ever quite sure when the tank is empty.

"One vehicle being used by detectives had notes all over the dashboard that were supposed to show when it was last filled.

"But as soon as one of the bits of paper went missing, the next bloke to drive it had the car die on him out Woop Woop somewhere and had to have it towed."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...964784214.html
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

So why isnt there any problems with gas powered taxis? Like all of the taxis run on gas, why dont they have this problem? I dont think its the car thats the problem :evil3:
Old 18-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

So why isnt there any problems with gas powered taxis? Like all of the taxis run on gas, why dont they have this problem? I dont think its the car thats the problem :evil3:
Old 18-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I dont get it really. Maybe the coppers are drumming it up a bit because they just dont like them.

My E-gas falcon runs great, i dont get the convertor freezing because of the car not being warmed up thing mentioned in the SMH article. I honestly dont get it.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
I dont get it really. Maybe the coppers are drumming it up a bit because they just dont like them.
Maybe it is propaganda by the pro-Holden members of the police force who want to go back to driving Holdens.

Lucky for Ford that Holden didn't release a dedicated LPG Alloytech engine with direct injection.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
EL_futuraistic

By the sounds of it they are dedicated gas, otherwise they would switch to petrol and drive home, but it does say converted.

Police vehicles are driven very differently to Taxi's, they get thrashed... and perhaps for the stop, start hard acceleration driving the gas system they chose isnt upto the task.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our work LPG ute is a lemon too. Fuel gauge does'nt work ... and always conks out too. Nothing worse than driving it with half a tank and all of a sudden the needle drops to empty ...
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
i dont get the convertor freezing because of the car not being warmed up thing mentioned in the SMH article. I honestly dont get it.
dont know if its the same in the dedicated lpg systems but in the pre BA taxis and cars with older lpg systems water from the radiator is pumped into covertor. the only time ive ever seen it freeze is when the radiator is empty.

perhaps if the water isnt warm these new systems freeze? but that doesnt explain why if happening during emergency calls, surely the water would be hotter?

the only probs ive seen in dedicated lpg BAs is the gauge.
aimzes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Maybe it is propaganda by the pro-Holden members of the police force who want to go back to driving Holdens.

Lucky for Ford that Holden didn't release a dedicated LPG Alloytech engine with direct injection.

FF
I dunno whats stopping them, they are prgressivley adding crewmans into the fleet to take over the rodeos as they are needed now, because the crewmans are allowed to pursuit and the rodeo's aren't.

Most of the cops I have spoken to said they prefer the SS but the XR6 Turbo is good as well. Not mention of the XR8's.

Holdens engine may not be dedicated but it is multi-point injection IIRC, which is one up on the falcon setup.

I wish the world would get over the bull LPG phase, it is all seriousley , go diesel, when Holden and ford bring out their diesel family cars soon, I really hope they market them well and show how viable they are.

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #10
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Bingo..
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
Disco1986

im sure they drive a little differently then a taxi driver and the petrol version is probly a much better choice anyway!
Disco1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

They all want Typhoons now!
Were they aftermarket LPG kits, or ford factory jobs? By the sounds of the article, they converted the old cars over to LPG.
Could be the kits themselves, not the cars... :yeees:
Old 18-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #13
Bobman
Regulator

They are lemons.

Dedicated LPG in all of our 80 BA taxis have had major problems, and without fail at least 1 will come back on a tow truck every two nights or so.

Racecraft doesn't even bother with egas. I can see why they are having trouble though.

LPG was fine in AU's why the sudden change in BA's? Can anyone say "cost cutting" ;)

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
sam12h
Runnin C3H8 & C4H10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked
They are lemons.

Dedicated LPG in all of our 80 BA taxis have had major problems, and without fail at least 1 will come back on a tow truck every two nights or so.

Racecraft doesn't even bother with egas. I can see why they are having trouble though.

LPG was fine in AU's why the sudden change in BA's? Can anyone say "cost cutting" ;)
My turn to call BINGO.
All government departments equipment is supplied by the LOWEST bidder. Sounds like dodgy, hasty, el cheapo conversions to me.
Short cuts & cost cuts have a way of not really being short cuts or cost cuts :togo: :gren:
sam12h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #15
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

They are not conversions all LPG cars in the NSW fleet are E-gas. END OF STORY

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #16
Bobman
Regulator

Exactly.

Police would not get conversions done. That's just stupid and pointless.

Current Cars:
Previous Cars:
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
Old 18-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #17
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by News Article
"In a green-friendly move expected to save millions of dollars and spare the environment hundreds of tonnes in harmful emissions, NSW Police embarked on a program to convert 700 petrol-guzzling cars to gas three years ago."
I am just going off what I am reading above...
Old 30-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #18
Pinkslip
Starter Motor

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
I am just going off what I am reading above...
I don't quite know what went on with this one, although from experience in Government agencies, I can suggest that one of you guys hit the nail on the head suggesting that they just go for the cheapest option. It is quite common that the cheapest usually ends up being the most expensive because of on-going performance problems, lost serviceability and contractor monitoring costs (bloody bean-counters, no common sense or practical experience in most cases).

I also have a fair idea of how these guys 'write', particularly when they have a hidden agenda. The term 'converted' may just mean that when the time came for turning the vehicles over, they 'replaced' them with factory fitted LPG, thus converting their existing fleet from 'X' to 'Y'. It is a play on words but certainly gets the attention that a political agenda needs.

Knowing that Police generally sell their vehicles for close to what they paid (because they buy them free of taxes and then sell them on the open market), it would be stupid to install LPG systems on existing petrol cars and much easier to just buy factory fitted as they turn them over. Let's face it, with their fleet, they'd be replacing vehicles every week as they hit the 40,000 km mark.

Now, can anybody think what might be wrong with my 96 XH Ute (after market Sprint LPG system) that keeps having a crap attack when I change it from LPG to Petrol????

Symptoms: Sounds like a V8 when I change over and rocks whereas when on LPG, it's smooth idling. Has conked out a few times on the petrol and there has been a loss of power when taking off, particularly when cold. I have also noticed a slight decrease in power in LPG mode form time to time, but only after the petrol started playing up more often. I have replaced the fuel filter, air filter and cleaned out the gas inlet collar that attaches to the air intake.

A mechanic told me that if I had not petrol as often as I should.....(Guilty, lost the key to petrol tank cap for 2 months and used the petrol very sparingly)......it could be that the fuel crystalised and has clogged the injectors, regulator (is there another name for that), or fuel pump. Can check these today. Does anyone know how to clean injectors (I've already tried the spitfire in the fuel tank), the old man has a compressor so will just blowing air through them do the trick?????

Any thoughts?????????
Pinkslip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #19
Bobman
Regulator

Convert in fleet terms means - Sell petrol cars and replace with gas cars at changeover.

Current Cars:
Previous Cars:
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
Old 18-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #20
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked
Convert in fleet terms means - Sell petrol cars and replace with gas cars at changeover.
I see...
Old 18-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #21
HOON69
Banned

if they warmed them up properly i guess they might not have as many break downs
how come this problem isnt occuring as such with the family lpg falcons?
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #22
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Why the hell would you get lpg powered cars for a police chase in the first place? Why dont they just get corrollas

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #23
dogwatch2

I think the problem is the Cops are hopping into cold cars and thrashing them, which means the cooling water isn't hot enough to warm up the liquid to gas convertor; so high gas flow when thrashing with cold radiator equals freezing up and stalling.
dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The cops thrash those car so hard ... my fiancee's brother is a Blacktown copper ... and damn ... I have seen him drive ... and it's not gentle.

They were meant to be just for GD vehicles ... not for chases ... but then they were used in some chases and had issues.

The BA EGAS models were more "sensitive" than the previous AU models.
And really the EGAS models aren't meant to be thrashed really anyway (even though mine does get a hell of a lot of hard work some days ... but it's an AU).

Have seen and heard of many BAs having more issues than my AU.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #25
Mutley

Have the BA's got a better cooling system than the AU's which would explain the increase in cooling/heating problems in the BA's?
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's not that ... the anti-freeze in the coolant stops the gas from freezing ... but sudden acceleration and hard braking (mental case police driving) ... and hard cornering can have effects on some LPG systems.

Also there were issues with it takes longer to start an LPG vehicle ... and if you don't hopld the key for long enough you can flood the coverter ... and then it takes a good 10 seconds to start (that's the driver has no idea about LPG).

Police want a vehicle they can get into start and floor immediately ... LPG vehicles you can't ... in am emergency condition that officers may need to move or retreat ... they can't touch the accelerator and start the car ... it cuts it out ... whereas on petrol they sometimes flatten the throttle when turning the key to move immediately.

This is another safety issue.

Also after a while if the LPG system is not serviced ... the solenoids for the gas lock offs stick from the wax from LPG residue .... it causes the car to not start ... not a good thing.

knowing police vehicles ... it's a long time between servicing ... and they need more regular servicing than what the handbook suggests.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #27
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Regardless of whether or not coppers drive them right, if they are no good, get rid of them. My experience with gas cars is not good either, in any conditions. Gutless, hard to start and unreliable.
Old 19-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #28
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Regardless of whether or not coppers drive them right, if they are no good, get rid of them. My experience with gas cars is not good either, in any conditions. Gutless, hard to start and unreliable.
Gee, sorry to hear of your bad experiences. I must admit when I first entered the LPG market with an XE dual-fuel and have bought two others since I have never looked back. My AU11 is facory duel-fuel and is far fom gutless, whislt my Fairlane is a duel-fuel conversion. Not a spot of bother from either of them in a combined 200,000 kms of running. Never missed a beat, any conditions. However, I am not sure I would like to run a dedicated gas car. Something about not being able to fill a 4 litre can with LPG and pour it in the tank on the side of the road bothers me.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #29
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

police vehicles are only kept for 40 000kms then sold off for new ones. my brother has an AU XR6 ex d-car and has never has any issues with it, even tho its not gas you would think there would be a fair amount of happen to them especially being a d-car
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
huggiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 01:02 AM   #30
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
But as soon as one of the bits of paper went missing, the next bloke to drive it had the car die on him out Woop Woop somewhere and had to have it towed.
maybe they should fill them up at the start of each shift regardless of the note haha
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post