Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-12-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Default 888/SBR Sponsors day at QR

Well, today, Myself and 347Stroker (doing an admirable job of coming to grips with driving the XY :P) headed out to QR for the day because through work connections I'd managed to score us some hotlaps in the 888 cars (Oh yeah, SBR were running 2 cars there plus their 400cube 3 seater, and a couple of other minor (Konicas?) teams were running too)
After a cruise out to dingo-whoop-whoop in the XY with events that left Matt grinning and giggling like a small child (Sorry, whoever you were in that Black BA MK2 GT:dr_Evil: ), we got out there shortly after Lowndesy had run out of brakes in the Betta Electrical "Show Car" (An XR6 Turbo with warpaint) and stuck the thing in the wall.....
Anyway, after a bit of a look around, and lunch thrown on by 888, we eventually got the call to suit up and wait for our turn... I managed to get Lowndes as my cheaffuer, and Matt got Jamie Wincup for his lap.
Well. Crikey, those things really move. The sheer acceleration when Lowndes nailed it on the run out of the pit lane was unreal, it felt like the Milennium Falcon going into hyperdrive, and then the massive grip from the thing when he hooked it into turn 1.... but the real mind bender was the humungeous braking power at the end of the back straight, the stop from 240km/h was phenominal! so yeah, it was pretty damn awesome (even if my helmet was poking a up between the rollcage tubes)
Got chatting with some of the team guys, and had a look at the carbon clutches they use... seriously cool stuff
Came out of it with a piccy from the photographer that they take just before you start, got Craig to sign it, and got a piccy of him next to the XY (I'm sure he'd have taken up the offer of going and doing some donuts in the carpark with it if it weren't a work thing, the guy is such a nice bloke and so professional too)
Anyway, here's Lowndesy with the XY..

And inside the 888 car

Old 15-12-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
thunderoo
Blueprint of Perfection

How awesome is that !!! Wish i couldve been there !!
1974 XB COUPE
NO TRACTION AT EASTERN CREEK

HERS
BOSS 260 03 XR8 SEDAN
COLD AIR INTAKE BY PERFORMER SHAKERS
FULL X-FORCE QUAD TIPPED EXHAUST SYSTEM
thunderoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Onya Bish ,would've liked to be there but.......

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 12:30 AM   #4
blue fairy
I've become, impossible.

Awww.
How cool!
Glad you had fun.