Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Wally
XP Coupe

Default Brisbane Motor Show

Just came back from a few hours. Nothing to write home about, but:

too bad Mitsubishi didn't check the 380 display car for paint flaws and door misalignment;

couldn't find a single Audi that looked remotely like a VE or Ford for that matter;

the cutaway VE should provide pee brains something to make derogatory remarks over. This stand was continuously packed;

the Ford stand featured the Territory and truck stuff, which as usual attracted the fat people. The Falcons looked like the poor man's sedan compared to the others on show, both interrior and exterior wise. Not much interest at all from the public;

Nissan stand was boring except for the Z cars;

Toyota stand gave me a good chance to inspect the Aurion. One could be forgiven thinking the same guy designed the VE cabin;

Scooby was same 'ol same 'ol;

The two Corvettes parked next to the Hummers weren't getting much attention, but the Hummers sure attracted the rest of the fat people who weren't trying to get a leg into the Territorys;

Seems a great loss to the motoring man that the Morgan and Wacker stand and stage show is no more... there's something about leather clad beauties;

The posier cars were there, but the girls were better.

You know times are changing when they start displaying grey nomad caravans.

Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Just came back from a few hours. Nothing to write home about
You just did!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

you must not have seen the same motor show I did.
Each stand had plenty of staff and seemed everywhere I went was people getting in and out of cars. The Ford Stand was quite impressive from my point of view. I did not see a lot of "fat people" at any particular place, there were people of all shapes and sizes and races looking and getting in and out of all types of cars.
However if you look at someone around 5'7 about 80 kg I can't see too much in the subaru range that would be comfy for them. Even thier new cross over vehicle the Tribeca would have issues with an average size family.

The Holden Captiva looked like the interior was the same quality I had in my Daewoo Espero years ago.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
You just did!

No I wrote here. I don't think mum would be all that interested.

Yaw... I went to the one at the Cultural Centre, which one did you go to? Did you notice how crowded the GM stand was? It must have been that giant banner that read somethiong like "Voted Wheels Magazine Car of the Year". I suppose fat to some people is normal to others, and there's no shortage of overweights in Brissie.... making them a great target market for SUV and 4WDs (they can step out of the car instead of rolling out).

I never compared the Audi to the VE, but others made a point of it in a stirling and epic thread some weeks ago, so I made a point checking the validity of the statements.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I suppose fat to some people is normal to others, and there's no shortage of overweights in Brissie.... making them a great target market for SUV and 4WDs (they can step out of the car instead of rolling out).
I'm 6'7", 130kg, 3' across the shoulders, does that make me "fat" or just big enough to put you on your ****, unreal. Motor show was good I thought.
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon466
I'm 6'7", 130kg, 3' across the shoulders, does that make me "fat" or just big enough to put you on your ****, unreal. Motor show was good I thought.

Well are you fat? I'm 6'6" and have 134cm biceps and buggerall fat. I can touch my toes, can you? Drop me on my ****; well you might get away with it once, but I'd guess you wouldn't get another chance to bully.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Well are you fat? I'm 6'6" and have 134cm biceps and buggerall fat. I can touch my toes, can you? Drop me on my ****; well you might get away with it once, but I'd guess you wouldn't get another chance to bully.
my dad's bigger than both your dad's .

geesh for a minute there i thought i was back in school
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
does anyone else get a hint of false bravado?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
red_hotxr6
Banned

Why compare the ve with the audi, i thought it was a cross between the mercedes benz and the volvo, i wonder if the people at holden are even australian as the car isnt, and its still a load of rubbish.

HOLDENS ARE CHEATS......SHAME SHAME
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #10
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I did not take a pen with me and have the entry forms for the "star cars". Can anyone tell me one of the "star cars" so I can finish my entry form?

I can only remember two of them,
The mits ralliart colt
The Subaru Tribeca

Thanks in Advance
Old 05-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #11
TE50 027
Tickford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I did not take a pen with me and have the entry forms for the "star cars". Can anyone tell me one of the "star cars" so I can finish my entry form?

I can only remember two of them,
The mits ralliart colt
The Subaru Tribeca

Thanks in Advance
Kia Sorrento. Good luck.
TE50 027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 027
Kia Sorrento. Good luck.
VW EOS. Landrover Freelander. Peugot Picasso.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
naxh96

had a look in there yesterday arvo after work. alright i guess. the look on the 3 or 4 fellas setting off the car alarm was priceless. they s**t themselves something chronic as they were hopping out of it on the showroom. can't remember which stand they were at but it was on the eastern side, about 2 down from the caravans i think. great guns.

no surprise seeing holden and hsv take up one end. that purple grabbed the eyes but nowhere near as good as phantom. they should bring back hothouse green, that colour was easily their best.

biggest grabber for me were the new ranger. want 2 of those, on at stock height on 20+ inch rims, and another with some 17inch alloys jacked a few inches for the beaches and five rocks up on capricorn coast. another big draw for me was the new v8 cruiser ute. need to convince the uncle that his turbo diesel cruiser trayback for work is a worthy trade in and he should get the 4.5L bent 8.

some fool had already dislodged the gear shift boot from the xr5 as well. pulled it out of its mounts. instant demo designation at the dealership. should've grabbed a vin number for whoever wants a cheap xr5.

not tops but i'll be going back sunday to get an autograph of lowndes and whincup i think. thats the major drawcard for me anyway.
naxh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #14
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

I just got back from the Show. The best bit for all 4 of us was entry was free. So were the drinks and food put on.

It's been the first one I have attended in many years. There were plenty of people there, a few nice cars. That VE Purple looking dunnydore looked nice (The colour). The Ford stand was same old same old cars. Trying to cash in on popular 70's colours like Lime Glaze and Yellow Fire in their BF's. That orange Focus looked like a cool colour.
I was glad to see the Z06 Corvettes finally in the flesh. Very nice cars those. I would like one in my garage sometime soon, next to the x-dubb. Probly the cars I enjoyed the most was Mark Barras Black 'Pig' RPO 83 outside and the Yellow Z06 that I bought some tickets to win.
My business partner did buy a new car today, so we spent ages doing that and got a real sweet deal.

So all in all, a not bad day, and very cheap for me.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Roo 1970
That VE Purple looking dunnydore looked nice (The colour).
Hey now that you mention it how much does it look like they stole the Ford colour Phantom.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Dosen't look anything like phantom, aka wild violet. Thats what the colour was originally called in the 70's. Ford are re-hashing 70's colours to up the popularity of their current cars by invoking memories of wild colours from the past.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #17
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Just got home from Brisy, went to the show last night.
I won't be going again for a while as I didn't think it was all that good.
Most disappointed to see the the Morgan & Wacker bikes and girls gone............
Ford stand was average, but I didn't mind the Focus cabrio. I still want a Force 8 too.
New Commodore is a real mixed bag I think, good in parts and rubbish in others.
Low spec dashes look worse than BA / BF and I didn't think you could get worse than that. The Stato was quite impressive until I pulled on the handbrake lever - looks, feels and sounds cheaper than a bloody Kia!
New Toyota Camry thing looks just like that, a thing. New styling just looks aweful, though somewhere in that front end there seems to be a hint of an old Nash or Packard or something from the 40's and 50's.
VW Golf and others were impressive, and the Hummers were huge.
Won't be back for a year or two, at least until the Orion arrives.
I hope it's worth the wait!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #18
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

I go to the motorshow, to see all the cars in one place. So, I won't have to drive all over town, to see them. Plus the birds, get a good view when sitting in car and they lean in the window and ask can I help you. !!!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #19
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

doesn't sound like it was very fun!!!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #20
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So is it worth going?
I've been the last few years.
And am planning to go to the
Sydney motorshow this year.

I might.. good day out with
some friends
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #21
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I paid a visit yesterday morning. I think I worked out why mitsubishi is going broke. They've already spent this years revenue on Victoria Secrets models. Might as well go down in style. :

Did anyone else have a go on the racing simulators by the caravans? They were awesome. Everybody I was racing with (including myself) thought it was the usual arcade job and managed to lock up all fours into the first corner and into the kitty litter. Then we gassed it up back on the track, proceeding to loop it. Was quite amusing. None the less I recovered to take victory by quite a margin .

Overall was a bit down on last years show. I was hoping to see aston, and the Zonda was a big drawcard last time. Was also dissapointing to see Audi only brought along a convertable and hatch rs4 but no sedan :S.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #22
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:

couldn't find a single Audi that looked remotely like a VE
Thats because the VE is designed off Audi's years old - how could they possibly copy a new design? :
Old 05-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #23
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I went Saturday. Was pretty much same old except for the Holden stand with the VE... should get the same sort of reaction with Ford when Orion launches...

Yeah, wasn't as good as I'd thought it could be...
Old 05-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #24
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you took a close look at the holden stand you would have notice half of the people there were staff or cleaners.

The ford stand had the current vechiles that are for sale there except the focus convertorable which is coming soon.

The misttsy stand they could not turn of the alarm on one of the 380's.

The lexus stand was the most boring every car was in the same colour silver.

Ian

PS we never get the good shows up here that is left for down south it sucks.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #25
PDIDDY
Victory is Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE
If you took a close look at the holden stand you would have notice half of the people there were staff or cleaners.

The ford stand had the current vechiles that are for sale there except the focus convertorable which is coming soon.

The misttsy stand they could not turn of the alarm on one of the 380's.

The lexus stand was the most boring every car was in the same colour silver.

Ian

PS we never get the good shows up here that is left for down south it sucks.
I think you are spot on Ian. The new releases and models are left for the southern states. Like Qld doesn't rate.
I was working on the FPV stand on Saturday, and it was disappointing to only have 3 cars. If I had $1 for every time I was asked if we had a GT there, I would have retired. Out of 21-22 cars on display from Ford, we only had a Super Pursuit in Octane, a Toxic Typhoon and a Silhouette Force 8. Needed some more variety. We didn't even have an XR4.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDIDDY
I think you are spot on Ian. The new releases and models are left for the southern states. Like Qld doesn't rate.
I was working on the FPV stand on Saturday, and it was disappointing to only have 3 cars. If I had $1 for every time I was asked if we had a GT there, I would have retired. Out of 21-22 cars on display from Ford, we only had a Super Pursuit in Octane, a Toxic Typhoon and a Silhouette Force 8. Needed some more variety. We didn't even have an XR4.

Yes why no XR4 ??

Fords line up in Brisbane is always **** poor / boring, what you havent already seen at a dealer ur not going to see at the show.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #27
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last years Brisbane motor show was good... But only because it was switched in order with the Melbourne show... for whatever reason

Now that the planets have realigned we are back to our boring as batpoo shows....

But if mitsu has good looking Victoria's secreet models, it might still be worth a glimpse... haha!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #28
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE
Focus Convertable was there today ...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:56 PM   #29
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Focus Convertable was there today ...
Focus Convertible looks very very nice. Hope FORD don't overprice it. If they sell it $2k under the ASTRA, it should sell.
Imagine that car with the XR5 motor !!!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh the 380s werent even unlocked, i said to my mate they are probarly orders waiting to be delivered sometime in the next month.

As for the Ford stand the cars were pretty nocked around (ex Melbourne motorshow id say as they were all built AUG 06).
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote