Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden Profit

Interesting story on Holdens profit

http://m.smh.com.au/drive/motor-news...507-1y89d.html

bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden Profit

Finally some decent news for the industry. $90 million profit is good, also good to see the profit driven by the locally made Cruze.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/171624/h...rofit-in-2011/

Quote:
By Tim Beissmann | May 07th, 2012 Print page 1

GM Holden recorded a net profit of $89.7 million in 2011, representing the Australian car maker’s second consecutive positive financial result in a difficult manufacturing market.

The profit was achieved despite a slight decrease in consolidated revenue – down from $4.4 billion in 2010 to $4.3 billion – and an increase in research and development spending – up from $179 million to $231 million.

Holden chief financial officer George Kapitelli said the brand’s positive financial result in 2011 was driven by the success of the locally made Holden Cruze small car and the company’s revised cost structure.

“After the financial crisis we reshaped our business to improve structural cost, reduce our reliance on exports and bring the Cruze into local production so we could continue to make cars in Australia,” Kapitelli said.

“Now around 60 per cent of our Australian sales are Australian-made cars, this is a great result.”

He said Holden was running its business responsibly and sustainably with a long-term view.

“We’re making a strategic contribution to Australia, we’re committed to advanced manufacturing in this country and we’re committed to creating new opportunities for suppliers.”

The announcement comes six weeks after Holden confirmed a $275 million co-investment deal with the federal and state governments that will see it continue to develop and manufacture vehicles in Australia for the next 10 years. General Motors will commit around $1 billion to the program, helping Holden produce two new vehicles on global platforms at its Elizabeth assembly plant in South Australia from the second half of this decade.

Last year’s positive financial result takes GM Holden’s cumulative profit since 2010 to $201.7 million – a stark contrast to the previous five years, in which its losses totalled $579 million.

Vehicle production at Elizabeth increased 36.8 per cent last year, up from 66,061 in 2010 to 90,424. Exports increased more than 50 per cent to 12,068 as Holden delivered cars to North America, New Zealand, Brazil, South Africa and the Middle East.

Engine production at its Port Melbourne plant increased 2.9 per cent, up from 98,146 to 101,019, and exports to China, Germany, Thailand and South Korea increased 14 per cent to 57,792 units.

The increased vehicle production in 2011 was not enough to prevent Holden cutting around 140 casual and fixed-term contract employees from Elizabeth in February 2012, however. Holden blamed the decision to axe the workers on the “tough economic conditions” and the company’s pursuit of sustainable growth and continued domestic profitability.

Holden’s Australian sales fell 5.1 per cent last year, approximately double the decline of the Australian market as a whole.

Of the brand’s 11 models, the Barina Spark, Caprice, Captiva 5 and the Cruze were the only ones to achieve sales growth over 2010, while the Barina, Captiva 7, Commodore and Commodore-based Ute all slid backwards.

After the first four months of this year, Holden is a further 5.4 per cent off 2011’s sales pace, with 36,534 vehicles sold across the country. Last month it was outsold by Mazda for the first time in the brand’s history, crawling to 7589 sales versus the Japanese importer’s 7681-vehicle result.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Certainly hard to bag out anything with a local keeping their head above water.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
HUNTER8

Love the headline though on the SMH link.
'Taxpayers fund Holden Profit".
Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Firstly, well done Holden in tough and changing times, it's great to see two profitable years back to back
and I hope that Ford can also squeak by with either a small profit or loss, that would be a good result for them..

Regarding Ford and Holden profits or losses:
What we all must understand is that regardless of the profit attained, Holden still had revenue of $4.3 Billion,
which means every internal division, service supplier, debt provider, government taxes and employee were all paid.

Any one critical of Holden or Ford making small profits or small losses in comparison to the revenue is living in denial
of those two companies, impressive array of accountants who are able to legally shift money around at will.....

The real value of Holden and Ford Australia is what they provide to their respective Asia/Pacific/Africa busines units
in terms of sourcing vehicles and parts through internal supplier networks, a lot of money goes off shore and into those
business unit coffers, legally and without a skeric of tax added....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8

Sounds about right
Old 07-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good on them.....hopefully the "Holden/Ford" rivalry in australia will continue for a very long time!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
HUNTER8

Just in case .......
Wasn't actually knocking Holden just the article heading. Puts a very negative spin on it straight away.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just in case .......
Wasn't actually knocking Holden just the article heading. Puts a very negative spin on it straight away.
Quote:
It's true though isn't it
StrikeTwiceXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
HUNTER8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeTwiceXR6
It's true though isn't it
Holden's Chief Financial Officer says it's just coincedence that the last 2 years profit figure was the almost exactly the same amount as the government grants.
I believe him.....don't you??
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Holden Profit

Quote:
Holden's Chief Financial Officer says it's just coincedence that the last 2 years profit figure was the almost exactly the same amount as the government grants.
I believe him.....don't you??
My response on first hearing this was:
and my response five minutes after hearing this still is:
StrikeTwiceXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder if this good result kills any speculation of US-bound exports as it seems that while the $Aust dollar is high when Holden exports stopped their bottom line improved.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Wonder if this good result kills any speculation of US-bound exports as it seems that while the $Aust dollar is high when Holden exports stopped their bottom line improved.

Not sure about US exports, but something was mentioned on S.A radio, exports are what helped the bottom line

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Not sure about US exports, but something was mentioned on S.A radio, exports are what helped the bottom line
That could be exports within the Asia pacific region as well as the last few Commodores to the Middle East
Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
That could be exports within the Asia pacific region as well as the last few Commodores to the Middle East

Good possibility. It's great that the high Aussie dollar hasn't hurt GM as much as predicted with exports.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Good possibility. It's great that the high Aussie dollar hasn't hurt GM as much as predicted with exports.
Unfortunately in November, Holden announced no more Commodores to Middle East
but Caprice continues there at about 200/mth or around 2400 a year..

I bet GMNA will be putting new Impala into middle East instead of Commodore (Lumina)
Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahaha! I saw that today. Amazing how it's exactly the figure of the gov injection.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So how much tax did GMH pay on their $4.3 billion revenue? Just quietly, how do some of the richest people in this country pay around 5% tax while workers pay around 30% or more? Even pensioners who have paid tax all their working life are still paying tax (GST) and excise on anything they buy.
???????????????????

Last edited by graham7773; 07-05-2012 at 09:45 PM.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
HUNTER8

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
So how much tax did GMH pay on their $4.3 billion revenue? Just quietly, how do some of the richest people in this country pay around 5% tax while workers pay around 30% or more? Even pensioners who have paid tax all their working life are still paying tax (GST) and excise on anything they buy.
???????????????????
Business only pays tax on profit not turnover.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
So how much tax did GMH pay on their $4.3 billion revenue?
They only pay federal tax on the profit, $89 million... not sure about state and local government taxes and levees.

I wouldn't be surprised if tax credits on previous losses are offset against a few years of profits..
Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

is it just me or do many members on this forum absorb every bit of dribble that comes from GM as though its is 100% fact.

ford and toyota both say that it isn't viable to build small cars here and yet holden is crediting the cruze for their profits. they can't all be telling the truth and i know which one has a poor track record regarding honesty.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
is it just me or do many members on this forum absorb every bit of dribble that comes from GM as though its is 100% fact.

ford and toyota both say that it isn't viable to build small cars here and yet holden is crediting the cruze for their profits. they can't all be telling the truth and i know which one has a poor track record regarding honesty.
Before Alan Mulally came to Ford, building Focus in the USA was a loss maker,
it was his insistance on Ford's managers to find a way to make it happen that changed
the scales and metrics of the car, assuming that nothing has changed is extremely dangerous.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Before Alan Mulally came to Ford, building Focus in the USA was a loss maker,
it was his insistance on Ford's managers to find a way to make it happen that changed
the scales and metrics of the car, assuming that nothing has changed is extremely dangerous.
i respect your views on things and agree, but i find this statement slightly hypocritical in light of many comments recently made in various vfacts threads. apparently building falcons and territories in low volumes is sinking the ship but building smaller cars here (with probably less profit) is not?

surely the same mentality can be applied to local production? ie don't assume things remain the same re costs.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #24
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

what small car does ford make in australia?

and yet toyota continue to make camry!
maybe they should reskin it and call it corolla.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

camry isn't a small car. its also a global car. economies of scale.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #26
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you know what amazes me is that Holden boast about how many Commodores/Cruzes they sell yet they only make a small profit. they obviously aren't making alot of money on each car.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #27
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA
you know what amazes me is that Holden boast about how many Commodores/Cruzes they sell yet they only make a small profit. they obviously aren't making alot of money on each car.

They are making 90 million on approx 125,000 sales, which comes to about $720 a car. But then again, Holden do say in one breath that the cruze is making them money, and that import only brands have better pricing abilities than they do. So I suspect that the picture looks alot worse for the money making abilities of the cruze and commodore. One would suspect that imports are better options for them than local made, so lets assume the 47,000 non local cars they sold last year made $1500 profit each car for them, that would make $70 million. Then lets allocate $100 for each engine, that would be $10 million, and the most profitable section for all manufacturers (spare parts), we could add another $30 to 40 million. Its all guess work, but theres no reason that cruze and commodore production could still be losing Holden over $100 million a year (without the government handouts). And lets no forget that it was Deveraux who said that Holden is not viable unless they are making 105,000 cars a year (only made 90,000 last year). Holdens stories change with the winds, but one thing is for sure, oddly taxpayers would think it better to give money to a business that is making money, than one that is continually losing money.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
They are making 90 million on approx 125,000 sales, which comes to about $720 a car. But then again, Holden do say in one breath that the cruze is making them money, and that import only brands have better pricing abilities than they do. So I suspect that the picture looks alot worse for the money making abilities of the cruze and commodore. One would suspect that imports are better options for them than local made, so lets assume the 47,000 non local cars they sold last year made $1500 profit each car for them, that would make $70 million. Then lets allocate $100 for each engine, that would be $10 million, and the most profitable section for all manufacturers (spare parts), we could add another $30 to 40 million. Its all guess work, but theres no reason that cruze and commodore production could still be losing Holden over $100 million a year (without the government handouts). And lets no forget that it was Deveraux who said that Holden is not viable unless they are making 105,000 cars a year (only made 90,000 last year). Holdens stories change with the winds, but one thing is for sure, oddly taxpayers would think it better to give money to a business that is making money, than one that is continually losing money.

Holden only makes $720/car?

The real question is how much money the rest of GM makes off supplying Australia with cars and parts...

Follow the money....
Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
But they also export engines, so considering the money they make off that the profit they make per car would be even lower. Plus money made selling parts, merchandise etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #30
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
But they also export engines, so considering the money they make off that the profit they make per car would be even lower. Plus money made selling parts, merchandise etc.
A lot of money is repatriated back through other GM divisions through royalties, licensing fees, interest on loans etc
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post