Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Default Unregistered car parked on road - thoughts?

gday All,

Im new to an area - I moved in 10 weeks ago.
Since then there has been a car parked on the side of the road that hasn't moved once - it has now since run out of rego (early march from memory).

The car is parked halfway infront of my place, and halfway infront of the neighbours. The neighbours place is a complex of 3 townhouses so not sure who the owner is.

Its starting to annoy me as more often than not I cant park infront of my place.

What are councils rules and regs on unregistered cars parked, should I do something about it or just suck it up?

Interested to hear people's thoughts!!

Mods - please feel free to move if the wrong section!!

-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Unregistered car parked on road - thoughts?

inform the local council.....it will get an infringement notice and a notice to shift then a notice of intent to impound

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe that a vehicle must be registered if left on the road, but even then if it is obviously abandoned then the council would look after it.

As Poppa said, ring the local council
Old 29-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
I believe that a vehicle must be registered if left on the road, l
that was certainly the council's view when i had my car on the verge for sale. because it wasn't registered they gave me notice. i ended up selling it for $50 (probably worth more nowadays as scrap)
Old 29-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Thanks for the responses - I have been wanting to call council - just needed to bounce the idea around!!
Will get in touch tomorrow with them - once a notice to move, how long do they usually have to move it before it gets towed?
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 29-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, shire will treat as an abandoned vehicle and tow it away after a 24 hour notice is placed on the car.
Old 29-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not very long actually, i had the same thing going on across the road, rang the council and it was a matter of days

7 I reckon before council will tow it......as Trev says the vehicle must be registered to be parked on a road

just read jD's comment, he may be right and it may very well be 24 hours and it is treated as an abandoned vehicle

dont muck about with them just ring the council!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I'm the same as aussie muscle, I had an unregistered car (still had plates on it) parked on the nature strip for sale. Was warned by the council to bring it onto private property or be fined and towed.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could just try knocking on the doors of the townhouses and having a chat to the owner if you find them. If they aren't willing to shift it, then call the council.
I asked a mate who's a cop about parking an unregistered car on the street as I have one, and he says that it's an offense to do it, so the owner could actually be fined by the police.
I asked, as time to time, I want to clean out my shed, so I move my car out. I just park it in my front yard instead of on the street.
Old 29-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

We had a car on our street that was, what looked like, a parts car. Council came and put a big sticker on it saying the owner had 3 days to remove the car or it would be removed and the fees for removal sent to the owner.

Car is now gone! Don't know who moved it though...
Old 29-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The police will deal with it. Any car/bike trailer etc etc, must be registered to be on the road. Parked or driven.

I had a trailer on the road out the front of my house for 2 hours, unregistered and the police gave me the option of putting it straight back into the yard, or copping a fine. Wisely I chose option 2.

You can also notify the council. So you have a couple of options.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
The police will deal with it. Any car/bike trailer etc etc, must be registered to be on the road. Parked or driven.

I had a trailer on the road out the front of my house for 2 hours, unregistered and the police gave me the option of putting it straight back into the yard, or copping a fine. Wisely I chose option 2.

For what it's worth, as the OP is in NSW, but In Victoria, the police won't do anything. Whilst they could issue a fine, they'll refer to it to the council and/or Vicroads (depending whose road it is parked on - ie. State owned, or Council owned).
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In QLD nope Police dont care and wont deal with it.

Its a council matter.... (they are given 14days here in Townsville)

Sadly in order to get the Police involved the car must appear "stolen/ abandonned", have plates and be registered.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

Sadly in order to get the Police involved the car must appear "stolen/ abandonned", have plates and be registered.
In Brisbane, the council didn't even want to know about it.

To the OP, I had the same thing in my street. We tried to find the owner, no one would admit to owning the car, police or the council didn't want to know about it. I called a a fellow out of the paper who removed unwanted car bodies for free. Explained the situation, and told him if he came and got it real quick, i would give him a slab.

He didn't want the slab, but he had the car loaded and gone in about 5 minutes.

If you get no joy from the Police, maybe try and talk to the owner. If the owner doesn't want to co operate, leave for a couple of weeks, work out when they are not home, and get some one to take it away.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Sounds odd... as the roads are council owned, its up to them to remove abandoned vehicles. The same goes with State controlled roads. The only time Police will get involved is if the vehicle is causing an obstruction to traffic flow.

If the car is unregistered and has no plates, the Police dont have any way of finding out who owns it and the car inst breaking any laws ( you need to be "in charge of the vehicle" to break the road rules) other then council by laws.... hence why council put stickers on the cars giving notice to move.

I would be going to the councils website and seeing what their bylaws state as i find it highly strange....

Old 29-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely council job to remove abandoned vehicles, or just call a scrap metal collector, they will give you a couple of hundred bucks and they take it away.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #17
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8

To the OP, I had the same thing in my street. We tried to find the owner, no one would admit to owning the car, police or the council didn't want to know about it. I called a a fellow out of the paper who removed unwanted car bodies for free. Explained the situation, and told him if he came and got it real quick, i would give him a slab.

He didn't want the slab, but he had the car loaded and gone in about 5 minutes.

If you get no joy from the Police, maybe try and talk to the owner. If the owner doesn't want to co operate, leave for a couple of weeks, work out when they are not home, and get some one to take it away.
The BCC would have definitely wanted to know about it. Who did you talk to?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
The BCC would have definitely wanted to know about it. Who did you talk to?
Called the council enquiries number that appears on the rates numerous times as did my neighbours. We made quite a few complaints about it, and we were all told there isn't much they could do about it. police said the same thing.

I'm not sure who I spoke to as this probably about 2 years ago. Needles to say, it was bloody annoying as it was right near a semi blind corner.

The car was an obstruction, but it is gone now.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #19
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

Not doubting you, but sounds silly. Some poor bugger could have their car stolen, whilst away for a couple of days, have it dumped with plates removed and the coppers couldn't care less until it's reported solen by the owners.

Makes it hard to understand how different gov't depts work hence the reason for this thread and varying responses.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 30-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

I know there was the same situation, the guy dealt with it by spray painting a couple cardboard signs to ask him to move it because it's not on his property or he'd have the council remove it.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not doubting you, but sounds silly. Some poor bugger could have their car stolen, whilst away for a couple of days, have it dumped with plates removed and the coppers couldn't care less until it's reported solen by the owners.

Makes it hard to understand how different gov't depts work hence the reason for this thread and varying responses.

bingo! (not to mention u need to remove the rego sticker as well, not just plates).

Old 30-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some poor bugger could have their car stolen, whilst away for a couple of days, have it dumped with plates removed and the coppers couldn't care less until it's reported solen by the owners.
Well how would the police know it's stolen if it has not been reported stolen??? Plates or no plates does not make a difference. Even if the plates were on the car they would not know it's stolen

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #23
BAXR8_Ute

Hopefully each organization doesn't pass the buck saying ring the other...

Maybe go in to the units and knock on doors to find who's it is. Tell em the cops came around asking who owned it because they were going to fine the owner and tow it. This way you will look like a nice bloke trying to help and hopefully they'll shift it.
Old 30-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Well how would the police know it's stolen if it has not been reported stolen??? Plates or no plates does not make a difference. Even if the plates were on the car they would not know it's stolen

UUMMM, checking to the car out and knocking on the owners door.

Don't need number plates or rego stickers to do that either. VIN numbers are recorded and police have access to them.

Make sense?

Old 31-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #25
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:

I have seen police removing plates off unregistered vehicles on the street, and then subsequently a few days later said vehicle usually is broken into and stripped.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
I have seen police removing plates off unregistered vehicles on the street, and then subsequently a few days later said vehicle usually is broken into and stripped.
While the vehicle has plates (even if no rego) they have 30days to pay the rego. Once its past 30days its illegal to have them on the car, so Police can remove them. It then becomes a council matter....

Old 29-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:

You chose a fine??

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #28
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo
You chose a fine??

I stuffed up. I put it back in the yard.

Old 29-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #29
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Yep called council and they told me to call the cops... Will give that a go tomorrow...
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 29-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Yeah, call the cops. They'll remove the plates, and then the council will give 3 days notice.