Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Who's signing up for Top Gear Australia!?

Top Gear for Australia is looking for people help present the show, even the average joe can apply, so can we please get some Ford people in there to show what a ture Australia car is! I have a feeling it will end up being the "Holden Show" where Holden is portrayed as the great "Australian icon" when we all know Ford Australia is this icon. It's the chance to show of some great Australian cars, XR-XY etc. BF Typhoons, GT's etc.

http://www21.sbs.com.au/topgear/

TOP GEAR - AUSTRALIA
We’re on the hunt to find Australia’s best Top Gear on air team - and we’re looking for both tried and untried television talent. Will you make the team?

Are you amongst Australia’s most knowledgeable, humorous, articulate and passionate people when discussing and assessing cars? If you are, we want to give you a chance to be part of the presenting team for this exciting new series being developed and produced by Freehand, in association with BBC Worldwide and Top Gear, for SBS.

To be part of this fantastic opportunity, you are:

18 years or older on 1 January, 2008 - though if you’re a Lewis Hamilton whose skills could impress our insurance company, then we might consider you.

The holder of a current, unblemished drivers licence.

Available for filming in Australia at dates to be confirmed in 2008.

Not affiliated (beHolden ... hmm) to any car company or motoring company through sponsorship, commercial arrangements or employment.

Demonstrably knowledgeable, opinionated and passionate about cars - and able to deliver that knowledge and passion (along with humour, of course) on screen.

NOT a clone of the magnificent and simply unique Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond or James May. We’re looking for Australia’s own Top Gear faces. Of course you could be a clone of The Stig.

You may be an amateur motor enthusiast and expert who’s not a television presenter. You may be a motoring journalist with little or no television experience. You may have some television experience BUT we’re NOT looking for classic television presenters without knowledge, experience or expertise.
SEND US YOUR VIDEO
Initially, we need to see and hear you on video. So send us a video (VHS, DV or DVD, we don’t mind) which gives us a look at what you can do. Tell us about who you are, where you live, the best car ever, the worst car ever, what stunts and celebrities you want to see on Top Gear Australia and what drives you nuts in the world of cars. And if you want a couple of your mates to help you out on camera as a ready-made team, that’s fine. And if you want to be The Stig - persuade us you know how to drive and we’ll NEVER reveal who you are - and of course you won’t either!

But you’ve only got 10 minutes on tape. That’s all we’ll watch - so no Hollywood epics please. And remember, this is not about clever film-making to disguise average talent. Let your talent shine through even if your video making technique’s not flash.

HOW TO APPLY

You need to download the Top Gear Australia application package - or you can email topgear@freehandtv.com.au and we’ll send it to you.

Complete the form and send it with your video entry to:

Top Gear Australia
Locked Bag 2005
Glebe NSW 2037

APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5PM ON FRIDAY, 1 FEBRUARY NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.

THE SELECTION PROCESS

Your video entry will be watched by a team of television professionals who will select those who shine for an interview. The next stage will see a chosen few come together for bit of a bonding session and camera tests. From those, the new Top Gear Australia presenting team will be chosen.

Old 14-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11202100
Old 14-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

nah as much as i'd like to, i have a face more for radio than tv
Old 14-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Unblemished driving record huh? There goes all of us here then.

Oo\===/oO
Old 14-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Unblemished driving record huh? There goes all of us here then.
And the UK Top Gear presenters from what they've mentioned in the past!
Old 14-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Mark One
A humorous statement

I'd love to, but I'm on my P's... damn.

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Old 14-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd actualy rather leave it with the current top gaer team rather than do an aust one

are we going to retest the cars they do ?

or just do the few australian cars ? which some off , they have already done and they'd prob do more aswell

the uk show is a big show to keep in step with , and will be compeared with

but wouldnt mind the stigs job even thou id need a bit more training to be up to him but that part be the most fun

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 14-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Would be like watching those hacks on Myth Busters, the others, who they get to fill in the gaps of the show, just not good enough.....
Old 14-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

I have a mate that is applying for this. have been giving him a hand with it aswell as lending him a couple of my 'toys' for his filming this weekend.
Old 15-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man why are they doing this! top gear is the best show on earth largely cos of the presenters on it! if they had an FPV on it we would all watch it time n time again, however glen ridge gets one and i fall asleep in 2 seconds.

how can TV execs ruin the top gear name :(
Old 15-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I agree with everyone's sentiments that they shouldn't do it, because Top Gear just wouldn't be as good without three opinionated poms presenting.

But what difference does it make if you have a few red marks against your licence anyway?

Oo\===/oO
Old 15-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But what difference does it make if you have a few red marks against your licence anyway?
i'd say just so no one can go and dig up dirt on the presenters and say "omg these hoons are influencing my children!!"
Old 15-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
I agree with everyone's sentiments that they shouldn't do it, because Top Gear just wouldn't be as good without three opinionated poms presenting.

Insurance purposes, you can be sure it will cost SBS an arm and a leg so a clean license is a must.

And I was only 6 months out from having one :
Old 15-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #14
tex
Broken

Well, I don't agree with most of you - we should have a go at an Aussie TG.

Whats the worst that can happen? they give Glenn Ridge a go and it is as enthralling to watch as paint dry. It would get pulled pretty smartly if the ratings go south.

fresh faces with humour and passion will be good.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 15-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #15
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hope red symonds signs up. he's a laugh riot. he could give bad cars the gong
Old 15-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #16
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
so can we please get some Ford people in there to show what a ture Australia car is! [/SIZE] [/FONT]

Funny enough an Australian came up with the idea of a FWD car
Old 15-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #17
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id love to apply and since it doesnt say anything about having your black's anyone with a license can apply.. but i have 2 speeding tickets(does that matter? lol) and i also dont have a video camera
Closed Thread