Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Default GTP to be stored (Need Advice)

As most of you would know,i had my GTP on display at Ford Discovery Centre for almost 8 weeks,as i had to find storage for my car because i'm in the process of getting my house built,but time has come for my car to be relocated from FDC as they need the space for some up coming function's and it has to be picked up by this Sunday.
What i would like is to some advice or some suggestion to where i could find some storage for a further 6 months,it will need to be under cover or garaged,i'm prepared to pay some cost as long as it is not too expensive.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
XRQTOR
Banned

Drive it up here to syd and you can park it in my warehouse.

Rent a shipping container and put it in that, it'll be safe from theft, the weather and the likes. Hunt around the industrial areas near you they wont charge more then $3o a week to leave a 2oft container in the yard, i think i'm charging $45 for a 4oft box.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
gtfpv
GT

you can hire storage garages at kennards hire . alarmed and secured . but what ever you do i hope you get it sorted. i know how difficalt it is building a house we had to live with the inlaws and our dog had to live apart from us for 6 months. i kept the xr8 at the time out the front of where we were and then out the front when we moved in as we didn't have a driveway for 8 weeks . hence a brick through the rear windscreen smashing the dash and out through the front windscreen. ( storage is looking good now isnt it)
good luck !!!!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
you can hire storage garages at kennards hire . alarmed and secured . but what ever you do i hope you get it sorted. i know how difficalt it is building a house we had to live with the inlaws and our dog had to live apart from us for 6 months. i kept the xr8 at the time out the front of where we were and then out the front when we moved in as we didn't have a driveway for 8 weeks . hence a brick through the rear windscreen smashing the dash and out through the front windscreen. ( storage is looking good now isnt it)
good luck !!!!!!
Kennards charge way to much, used to own 2 jetski's and had them both on 1 trialer. Kennards charged about $125 a week to rent a little shed that i could just squeeze it into. Only have 1 now and just keep it at work.
Old 22-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

bring it up to Syd. ill look after it :hihi:
Old 22-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
347Stroker
Banned

I have one of my cars in a 20ft shipping container, and its great. $22 p/w and the car is safe, locked away, dry, dark...all good
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

I'd love to help out in any way John, but storage is not a strong point of mine! I'm struggling to find a place to put the Tickford sign that I got at the FPV day.....!!!!!!

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Do you have any good friends you could trust with your prise and joy and let it leave in their garage for the next 6 months.

Storage like Kennards or Millers would be be your best bet. Security is high in these places. Prices are around.

For a large car it will cost you $590 for a garage 7.5m x 2.8m x 2.4m in size. That is $590 a month,so you are looking at $3,500 for the 6 months. Not cheap but you may be able to get away with a garage slightly smaller. This is with Kennards Self Storage.

Here is a link to the Self Storage Association of Australasia http://www.selfstorage.com.au/

Dont know if I would be wanting to keep a GTP in a shipping container.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #9
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Do you have any good friends you could trust with your prise and joy and let it leave in their garage for the next 6 months.

Storage like Kennards or Millers would be be your best bet. Security is high in these places. Prices are around.

For a large car it will cost you $590 for a garage 7.5m x 2.8m x 2.4m in size. That is $590 a month,so you are looking at $3,500 for the 6 months. Not cheap but you may be able to get away with a garage slightly smaller. This is with Kennards Self Storage.

Here is a link to the Self Storage Association of Australasia http://www.selfstorage.com.au/

Dont know if I would be wanting to keep a GTP in a shipping container.
You can buy a container for $2ooo, even if your paying $5o a week to leave it somewhere your still better off. Plus you can sell the container once you don't need it.
Old 22-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

If you were in QLD I'd have plenty of spots to offer you to park it.

Alas, you're not.
Old 22-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

There's a spare spot in my garage, I'll just park the XR out the back.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

We build the shed (I will go you halves) say $1500 each and you can have the use of the shed for the next two years whenever you want.
Old 22-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about an advertisement in a local paper, in my line of work i see many garages that are owned by pensioners that go unused and i'm sure that they would'nt mind the extra dollars, agreement could be reached re access due to the type of vehicle in question. just a thought.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 09:15 PM   #14
greyute

Where abouts in Melb are you looking at Storing it ?
Old 22-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #15
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Thanks for all your good suggestion's.There are some good idea's out there.As for storage i'm not too concerned where it is,but i am building in Berwick.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
Old 23-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #16
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Thanks for all your good suggestion's.There are some good idea's out there.As for storage i'm not too concerned where it is,but i am building in Berwick.
Cheers John
I live 10km away in Pakenham if you want to store it in my garage!..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #17
BA_BOSS

Give Crown Relocations a call. I am sure that they have storage facilities in Melb. I used then once in Adelaide and my XR8 is currently stored in their Syd warehouse whilst I'm working OS. Car is stored inside, battery diconnected (your choice), covered and out of harms way. Contacted NRMA re: insurance and no problem still fully covered so didn't need to take out additional insurance. Cost is $40/wk and it's been there for almost 16mths. Cheap peace of mind IMO.
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #18
stretch
Krispy Kreme Donut Glazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_BOSS
Give Crown Relocations a call. I am sure that they have storage facilities in Melb. I used then once in Adelaide and my XR8 is currently stored in their Syd warehouse whilst I'm working OS. Car is stored inside, battery diconnected (your choice), covered and out of harms way. Contacted NRMA re: insurance and no problem still fully covered so didn't need to take out additional insurance. Cost is $40/wk and it's been there for almost 16mths. Cheap peace of mind IMO.
That is a good way doing it, I am in the removal and storage game myself and we also store cars for a period of time.

They are covered and battery disconnected, and they are never moved until you are ready for it to be taken out of storage.

There is so many companys out there but the best bit of advice I can give you is go for a BIG and well known company, there is so many cowboys out there.

You could try Crown, Grace (which is now owned by crown), Allied Pickfords, Kents are also down there. There is a few for you to look at anyway if you decide to go that way.

AU1 XR8 Silhouette lowered 18" wheels, T2 Leather, custom dash and a loud Exhaust. Sold

BA mk1 Gt Acid rush, Untouched, not no more it is lowered and has Black 19" fusions with a polished rim.
And now with some very dark windows.

Shopping car Ford Escape XLT V6 Sold

Shopping car now is a Mitsubishi Outlander
stretch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

John I think I can probably fit it into my garage for you up here. I will even waive the usual fee :reverend:.
Old 23-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
BA_BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch
That is a good way doing it, I am in the removal and storage game myself and we also store cars for a period of time.

They are covered and battery disconnected, and they are never moved until you are ready for it to be taken out of storage.

There is so many companys out there but the best bit of advice I can give you is go for a BIG and well known company, there is so many cowboys out there.

You could try Crown, Grace (which is now owned by crown), Allied Pickfords, Kents are also down there. There is a few for you to look at anyway if you decide to go that way.
Very good advice and no, I am not in the storage game.
Old 23-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #21
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi John. You gave some advice to me on Fordforums a while ago about the air bubble I had on the dash of my GTP. I see you're in Melbourne though. My car is stored at Pyrmont Car Storage in Sydney while I am over here working in Brunei. Costs me $1400 per year incl GST, the car is in a very secure warehouse type building. There is a private road there too and I gave them permission to give it a run every 3 to 4 weeks. Coming up on 2 years now, no problems, and I am very pleased with the service.

Jim Young
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #22
BA_BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534
Hi John. You gave some advice to me on Fordforums a while ago about the air bubble I had on the dash of my GTP. I see you're in Melbourne though. My car is stored at Pyrmont Car Storage in Sydney while I am over here working in Brunei. Costs me $1400 per year incl GST, the car is in a very secure warehouse type building. There is a private road there too and I gave them permission to give it a run every 3 to 4 weeks. Coming up on 2 years now, no problems, and I am very pleased with the service.

Jim Young
Jim, just out of interest, you mentioned GST. As I am out of the country, no GST applicable. You might want to check with the storage comany.

Norm....
Old 24-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #23
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_BOSS
Jim, just out of interest, you mentioned GST. As I am out of the country, no GST applicable. You might want to check with the storage comany.

Norm....
Thanks Norm,

I will follow that up next time I come back to Sydney. It is paid for by my company in Sydney and gets accounted for in the BAS.

Cheers
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #24
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,i rent a half of old guy up the road double garage for $35 a week,he's happy and my gear is safe,put ad in tomorrows paper but dont say what it is for except storage and i bet you get a few calls,WHATEVER you do dont rent shed if they have kids living there,they will damage it almost guaranteed.
cheers Nick
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #25
Ringo
I see you....

Check out Chequered Flag Stables in Mordialloc

Its full of classics and thoroughbreds. I'm sure they charge a bit but there must be a coupla million bucks worth of cars stored there....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #26
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
Check out Chequered Flag Stables in Mordialloc

Its full of classics and thoroughbreds. I'm sure they charge a bit but there must be a coupla million bucks worth of cars stored there....
Have checked them out,they charge $55 and have around 80 cars there.

Old 24-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #27
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn, i'm building a 6m X 9m shed.. and its only gunna have my car in it and a lawn mower.. lol
too bad it's in qld.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #28
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

As some of the other guys have mentioned, buying a shipping container is the best way. As XRQTOR said, it'll cost you 2 big ones but you can keep it on your block for nothing (stick it in the back out of the way of the building site and the tradies). Secure it to the ground somehow and you're set.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #29
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
As some of the other guys have mentioned, buying a shipping container is the best way. As XRQTOR said, it'll cost you 2 big ones but you can keep it on your block for nothing (stick it in the back out of the way of the building site and the tradies). Secure it to the ground somehow and you're set.
Yes that is a good idea for those wishing to get a container, but yes also make sure they are secure and dont leak. In the past we have left containers on job sites and had $1000's worth of tools stolen by breaking the bolt & lock, and have heard of other companies' entire shipping container being loaded onto a tilt tray and broken into elsewhere when bobcats and machinery were inside
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #30
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Thanks for all your great suggestion's,came up with an offer and it's going to be garaged at Pakenham,a fellow FordForums member has offered his garage for storage.That's where these Forums are so great for information and helpful idea's.
Cheers John