Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
RASER
Banned

Thumbs down LPG, The End!!

Game Over?

Not good, but seeing prices work on supply/demand, might just be ok for us long term users [i.e. me!]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226363867011

&
http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...-1226364134999

Last edited by RASER; 23-05-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Price drop on LPG fuel?
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: LPG, The End!!

If that stat is correct it is a huge dive.... Must be based on conversions as well? Has the rebate stopped this year?

LPG won't be going anywhere any time soon. Even if sales of LPG cars totally stopped, the cars already on the road will still need refueling for a very long time... It's not like Super, where they can just apply an additive and use unleaded!

CNG??? Lots of other countries use it like we use LPG!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
If that stat is correct it is a huge dive.... Must be based on conversions as well? Has the rebate stopped this year?

LPG won't be going anywhere any time soon. Even if sales of LPG cars totally stopped, the cars already on the road will still need refueling for a very long time... It's not like Super, where they can just apply an additive and use unleaded!

CNG??? Lots of other countries use it like we use LPG!
If no new cars on LPG, mean's LPG price will sky rocket.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Could be right... this may have been in the works for a while as LPG was already nearing $1 a while back but has pulled back a little to what... 75-80c?

Old 23-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Could be right... this may have been in the works for a while as LPG was already nearing $1 a while back but has pulled back a little to what... 75-80c?
I think it is around that price. Not to sure as I dont use LPG. But I can see price increase due to no new cars and petrol stations having to stock LPGfor a select market.

Even Taxis which were once the biggest part of LPG are now looking at downsizing to hybrids and 4 cylinder.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
prydey
Rob

i think its a combination of things.

new cars require the newer tech conversions. vapour and liquid injection. these are still quite pricy ($4k+). the rebate has dropped to $1k. there is also the added excise which though small, still scares people due to warranted trust issues with the govt and fuel excise.

lpg conversions used to be around $1k. the rebate kicked in and they went to $3k+ overnight. lpg installers claimed it wasn't them making the profit but someone was. as the rebate has reduced, so has the conversion price.

it was similar with rainwater tanks. govt offered a rebate and suddenly there were tank outlets on every corner. rebate died, so did the tank outlets. now we just have the ones that were always there.

many people are a lot smarter than govt and big businesses give them credit for. i've had lpg cars in the past but the conversion cost puts me off. longest i have kept a car is 4-5 years. lately its been about 2 years. i only do 10-15000km/yr so i would never pay the system off. i'm sure many others are in that situation.

i think the situation will stabilise though.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Maybe not, if everybody switched to electric cars over night and I mean everybody, then the price of oil would plummet. It is demand that increases the price not the lack of it.

Bud Bud

Edit: Sorry sgt doofey, I should have read to the bottom before I posted. What he said.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think alot of this is to do with fleet cars also.

Previous years they choose Holden or Ford.

In most recent years companies have been gooing green and opting for smaller 4 cylinder cars, that do not have gas.
Old 23-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Must have been a slow news day there.

LPG was going ok before the rebate (I had mine fitted 2 months before it came in )

Either way it's still about half the price of regular ULP and a long way under the Premium ULP.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

Either way it's still about half the price of regular ULP and a long way under the Premium ULP.
Darwin prices today 23/05/2012

ULP $1.59 cpl

Premium $1.69 cpl

LPG $1.05 cpl

Unlike south - we do not have a price rollercoaster / week / fortnight or month
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo
Darwin prices today 23/05/2012

ULP $1.59 cpl

Premium $1.69 cpl

LPG $1.05 cpl

Unlike south - we do not have a price rollercoaster / week / fortnight or month
not sure on the others , i think unleaded today i saw at $1.46.6 at an independant, also saw LPG at 0.65c
both prices in Melbourne north.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: LPG, The End!!

Here we go again less LPG cars on the road so less fuel is sold
so the price goes up
werent we told that earlier this year Russia and Europe
had a cold winter and used a lot of LPG so the price went up
these prks want it both ways
wasnt supply and demand the basis for lower prices
Coles and Woollies are cheaper than you local corner store
because they have more demand so have lower prices
I know its not that simple
but give us a break
you cant have it both ways
or maybe you can
John
25 year LPG user

Last edited by last fairlane; 23-05-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
Here we go again less LPG cars on the road so less fuel is sold
so the price goes up
werent we told that earlier this year Russia and Europe
had a cold winter and used a lot of LPG so the price went up
these prks want it both ways
wasnt supply and demand the basis for lower prices
Coles and Woollies are cheaper than you local corner store
because they have more demand so have lower prices
I know its not that simple
but give us a break
you cant have it both ways
or maybe you can
John
25 year LPG user

Spot on. One simple way to get more people to buy LPG conversions is to lower the price of the stuff. The profit the oil companies are making on LPG is crazy.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Australia is the biggest user of autogas/LPG - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogas

More people should buy the EcoLPI - it sound fantastic. Slightly more power and torque than petrol AND greener AND fuel is around half the price.

[@ 74.7c/L in ACT near where I live.]

The key figure is really about total consumption of LPG Oz-wide, those are the figures Id like to hear about.

This is an Aussie industry that govt shud support.

(should is the stupidest spelling!)
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stats saying 13000+ down to 244 new cars fitted with LPG in one year??? There would have been more than 244 taxis sold in that year across Australia and every one of them fitted with LPG systems. Are they not counted? In 2009 there were 18806 taxis in Australia and they are replaced every few years. 244 new vehicles with LPG is just wrong! more like 2440 just in new taxis. Where are the stats being drawn from?

Last edited by graham7773; 23-05-2012 at 11:38 AM.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
Stats saying 13000+ down to 244 new cars fitted with LPG in one year??? There would have been more than 244 taxis sold in that year across Australia and every one of them fitted with LPG systems. Are they not counted? In 2009 there were 18806 taxis in Australia and they are replaced every few years. 244 new vehicles with LPG is just wrong! more like 2440 just in new taxis. Where are the stats being drawn from?
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but prior to the new commodore LPG option, the only other brand new LPG option fitted from factory was the Falcon.

For a large portion of last year, you couldn't get an E-Gas or an EcoLPI.

Doesn't that account of the large drop?
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
I thought that stat sounded really sus as well!
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Less cars running LPG would mean a fall in the price of LPG. Simple supply and demand. If the supply is therebut the demand isn't, then the price will fall to generate demand.
Old 23-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

OK, when the prices went through the roof in Jan and Feb, everyone said that due to the INCREASE in LPG vehicles on the road, the government could now classify LPG no longer as an "alternative fuel" and could justifiably whack an excise on it. Now, 3 months later, no one is using it any more? In that case take the excise off it, and where is the issue in not having enough money to supply the rebates?????? If no one is converting, then you need no money in the rebate scheme.

LPG has been one weird commodity of late.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought LPG in Geelong on the weekend and it was 68.9CPL, this is a significant price drop from the 85CPL it reached around Jan 2012.

The article says "new" which implies cars manufactured with LPG installed or fitted prior sale. Most Taxis are second hand now so have LPG fitted as they are being prep’d as a Taxi, so are not included in these figures. Don't forget both Ford and Holden stopped selling LPG vehicles for a fair while due to the move to Euro 4 and have both taken an eternity to get their new LPG power models out in the market.

Personally, I think the both Ford and Holden have also backed a knobbled horse with LPG. The recent price volatility (price gauging) and the government’s desire to have us all back in the stone age with private transport means that it will go back to a fuel used only on ultra-high mileage vehicles such as taxis until they go for hybrid/diesel/solar/compressed air/hydrogen/KERS powered quadracycles with an elastic band back up…
Old 23-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
gtfpv
GT

DISHEARTENED . CHECK MY THREAD ON XTRAIL .
my xr6 is coming off lease in january . the govt has ruined any chance of a re lease . i was considering buying it and converting it to LPG . it seems not viable anymore either . i may sell it and down size to a medium 4cy for work . its sad . but if holden and ford cannot compete and our govt dont support us . instead of leasing a falcon , or buying one on lpg , i'll buy a 4cy , cheaper and better technology and alsmot the same size if not biggger than my 2nd hand fg . i never thought i would see the day . i'm not far off tears reading this , but i simply cant afford over $200 a week in petrol costs anymore . if lpg savings arent there anymore .
i can sell my fg xr6 and buy an equal SUV , FOR LESS AND SAVE .
sorry ford .
from now on its a performance fpv weekender for me , and a practicle import .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
my xr6 is coming off lease in january . the govt has ruined any chance of a re lease . i was considering buying it and converting it to LPG . it seems not viable anymore either . i may sell it and down size to a medium 4cy for work . its sad . but if holden and ford cannot compete and our govt dont support us . instead of leasing a falcon , or buying one on lpg , i'll buy a 4cy , cheaper and better technology and alsmot the same size if not biggger than my 2nd hand fg . i never thought i would see the day . i'm not far off tears reading this , but i simply cant afford over $200 a week in petrol costs anymore . if lpg savings arent there anymore .
sorry ford .
The only other option to *consider* is a Hybrid Camry, not the old model but the just released new one, not sure if they are still doing $30k driveaway though, well worth a test drive
Old 23-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
The only other option to *consider* is a Hybrid Camry, not the old model but the just released new one, not sure if they are still doing $30k driveaway though, well worth a test drive
Aren't Hybrids only good in the city though. I thought when on country drives they used the petrol engine?
Old 23-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Aren't Hybrids only good in the city though. I thought when on country drives they used the petrol engine?
I think my next *home/family* car will be a hybrid, most likely the $23k base PriusC, a bonus in Vic. the rego. is ~ $75 less for hybrids.

You get 2km range from memory just on battery power, if you floor it or it senses load the petrol engine kicks in, on the hwy the petrol engine would be always operating and the battery portion goes to sleep and charges the battery.

The std. Prius does around 1000km on the hwy so its frugal anyway

I never owned one, but those with them recon they are the ants pants

Ford have hybrids in US but not for us...yet
Old 23-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I think my next *home/family* car will be a hybrid, most likely the $23k base PriusC, a bonus in Vic. the rego. is ~ $75 less for hybrids.

You get 2km range from memory just on battery power, if you floor it or it senses load the petrol engine kicks in, on the hwy the petrol engine would be always operating and the battery portion goes to sleep and charges the battery.

2km?? Sure of that?? Sounds way short of the range I would assume such a car would have (30-50km??)

Watched a review on the PriusC. Consumption is same as it's larger brother?? They should have used a smaller engine 1.1 / 1.3L to get that figure down, even a few points to differentiate it from the regular Prius.

Hard to argue on price... Original Prius was around 40k....

Old 23-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:

mate, let me throw in a 15%-off voucher for you for Cardigans R Us. Sydney, Melb or Bris store - take your pic.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #27
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
my xr6 is coming off lease in january . the govt has ruined any chance of a re lease . i was considering buying it and converting it to LPG . it seems not viable anymore either. i may sell it and down size to a medium 4cy for work . its sad . but if holden and ford cannot compete and our govt dont support us . instead of leasing a falcon , or buying one on lpg , i'll buy a 4cy , cheaper and better technology and alsmot the same size if not biggger than my 2nd hand fg . i never thought i would see the day . i'm not far off tears reading this , but i simply cant afford over $200 a week in petrol costs anymore . if lpg savings arent there anymore .
sorry ford .
There's this wonderful new 4cyl from Ford called the Falcon EcoBoost ...
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #28
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
There's this wonderful new 4cyl from Ford called the Falcon EcoBoost ...
the problem with it is its the same price as the I6 , and about 7 grand dearer than an xtrail suv /or equivelant .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #29
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the problem with it is its the same price as the I6 , and about 7 grand dearer than an xtrail suv /or equivelant .
too be honest i'm suprised that ford didnt ask for more with four cylinder ecoboost. the only way i see ford selling it for less the I6 is if they raise the price of the I6 or the get rid of something in the ecoboost.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #30
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
i allready posted in your other thread but i just thought of something.....the xtrail is still the old model....the ecoboost is the new series 2 falcon with a brand new eco engine...just a thought
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post