Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
AUIIForte

Default 40km/h over speed limit

Hay ive got a friend who was pulled over by an unmarked police car doing 140 in a 100 zone, he was rushing to see his girl friend who was very sick (no excuse to speed, I know) and the officer told him that if my mate can offer him some proof of this girls sickness (medical certificate) then he might reconsider punishment {MIGHT**.
So 2 days later my friend calls up the officer who gave him his card to contact him on, told the officer he's got the proof and all, but now the officer wants my friend to drive over to the other side of canberra (Belconnen, my friend lives near Theodore) to his office in a week to discuss what is going to happen!?!

Its got my friend in the biggest explosion of suspense because he has no idea what is going to happen... He's only got one point left on his liscence (P plater, ive got very young friends) and he relies on his car to work. Plus he's the taxi of the family, he needs to take his mum to work and bring her home, take his younger brother to school, then later tennis, then bring him back home and a few more driving jobs here and there through out the week. So pretty much, he NEEDS his liscence!

Is there anybody here who knows whats going on, or what the officer might be doing? I told my friend not to worry too much because if the officer wanted his liscence suspended, he would have already done it. Any thoughts or comments would be great. Im going to send this thread to my friends email so please dont be harsh towards him :

Cheers

AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

hmmmmmmmm, it all sounds very fishy, next i reckon your friend will be blackmailed for money from the cop, and will keep quiet for fear of losing his license at any time.

Just got a bad feeling about the whole thing.

I would accept the fine, argue in court, prove she was sick and plead to keep my license for work.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

he's ******.

140 in 100. heh, you wont get a warning for that. particularly if he has 1 point on his licence. bad luck i think.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
hmmmmmmmm, it all sounds very fishy, next i reckon your friend will be blackmailed for money from the cop, and will keep quiet for fear of losing his license at any time.

I would accept the fine, argue in court, prove she was sick and plead to keep my license for work.
ROFL... Blackmailed in a Police station? yeah right. :

AUIIForte, tell your mate to get his sorry little bum over there (wearing smart casual clothes not daggy old singlet and jeans) and he might just get lucky.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA

Is this a serious post?
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

And for P-plates ... especially NSW ... once licence is suspended, there's now allowance to apply for a Probationary Licence either ... it's at least a 3 month suspension ... doing 40 over though ... most likely a 6 month to 1 year suspension though.

Even if you have a family member/loved one that is ill ... it's no excuse for speeding really.

I wouldn't expect to get off that one either.

Do what EA2BA said ... accept it ... and then try and plead in court.
Being on Ps with that offence though puts your friend well behind the 8 ball though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the officer hasn't written a ticket for the offence already then maybe he is just making him sweat it out a bit to realise how close he actually was to loosing his licence.

Just a possibility. I am not sure what the case would be like if the officer wrote a ticket this long after the incident to be honest. Also, if the officer does go to give him notice after hearing and seeing the proof, tell him to make sure that the date of the offence is correct and the date of the notice is correct.
Not to sure if he could then make a complaint about the whole situation, always possible.

The above is if the ticket hasn't already been written out and handed (you weren't really clear, but I figured nothing had been given out as yet).

If he already has the ticket, kiss the licence goodbye.

Good luck
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
If the officer hasn't written a ticket for the offence already then maybe he is just making him sweat it out a bit to realise how close he actually was to loosing his licence.

Just a possibility. I am not sure what the case would be like if the officer wrote a ticket this long after the incident to be honest. Also, if the officer does go to give him notice after hearing and seeing the proof, tell him to make sure that the date of the offence is correct and the date of the notice is correct.
Not to sure if he could then make a complaint about the whole situation, always possible.

The above is if the ticket hasn't already been written out and handed (you weren't really clear, but I figured nothing had been given out as yet).

If he already has the ticket, kiss the licence goodbye.

Good luck
It is certainly possible that he's trying to make him sweat it out for the week - that feeling for a whole week, will probably straighten him out more than any fine could!

Back in my more stupid days as a youngster I was busted doing much much worse than 40 over the limit and I'm lucky I didn't kill anyone. Anyway, got busted, the police scared the crap out of me, had a stern talk with me for about 15 minutes, and then phoned my parents with me and told them exactly what I had been doing! I walked away with my license intact and only a minor fine and a few points. However what I went home to that night was much worse than any license suspension.

I learnt my lesson from that particular experience more than the previous fines and license suspension I had received.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

i'm going to take a stab in the dark here and assume that all the comments saying there is no excuse for speeding (which there isn't) etc etc etc are all made by single people.

if you have a wife or kids or both (which i do) and you are informed of some misfortune to one or more of them, then all you are thinking about in your head is that person that is very dear to you. i know if i was in a situation like that i would speed. thats not to say its o.k. you just wouldn't be thinking about whats right and wrong.

obviously there are a lot of assumptions going on in this thread. we are not told the nature of the sickness of the person in question's girlfriend. the situation was dire enough to cause the 'friend' to speed.

on topic - he has nothing to lose by fronting up at the cop shop.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i'm going to take a stab in the dark here and assume that all the comments saying there is no excuse for speeding (which there isn't) etc etc etc are all made by single people.

Hahaha... yes, disgusting/pathetic subesction of society that we are....
Old 06-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Tell him to get over to that police station, he may have found an understanding copper if he's lucky.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Tell him to get over to that police station, he may have found an understanding copper if he's lucky.
Damn straight.

Might be a trick/something dodgey... but it doesnt sound like this mate of yours can afford to look this particualr gift horse in the mouth.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Exactly!!!!! Get your mate over to the cop shop FAST!!& be as nice as he can to the copper.
The cop is giving him the benifit of the doubt which has to apporded.[spelling]
Do the right & you might find the copper is willing to let it slide..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
kocho
The Futuriser

Its his own fault if you ask me. He's only got 1 point left - what does that say about his other driving?
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #15
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly.. I was in a similar position years ago. But my girlfriend (Now my wife) was in the car chundering.... I was given a ticket for 50 over the limit ($350 and 6 points, 13 years ago). the cop also provided his contact number and told me to call him the following day... I did call him and he set up an interview with him.. I was packin it, big time... Had the interview/meeting with the Sargent, and all was sweet.. The fine was reduced to a mistermeener which cost me no points and fine reduced to $50........

The reason he gave me the fine in the first place(Besides the fact I was speeding) was to put the fear of God into me and make me think about the consequences if something did go wrong and caused a horrible accident....

tell you mate to relax, take a chill pill.. All will be OK

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #16
Kryton

id get a lift to see the cop in question.
theres a good chance that if he drives over, he's really driving over to have his car impounded.
also, make sure he has all the proof ready to deliver and a damn good reason why he shouldnt have the book thrown at him and his car/license taken off him.
sick girlfriend or not......
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Understanding Police do exist.. I have met them first hand in situations like this when I was younger. Your friend might be getting the biggest break of his life.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he didn't write a ticket there and then, don't worry about it. They can't write tickets the day after the event
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #19
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
If he didn't write a ticket there and then, don't worry about it. They can't write tickets the day after the event
Sure about this? I was under the impression that there were limitations between when the offence occurs and when you can be accused of said offence... but it was much longer than 24 hours...
Old 06-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
My wife got pulled over for doing a U turn at traffic lights (I kept telling her it was illegal ... she finally got caught).

Pulled over by a Rodeo ... was told she was cautioned and not given a ticket on the spot ... but got a ticket in the mail about 3-4 weeks later.

Officers can backdate tickets and send them out later if they like.

Wife's brother is now back in GD's at Blacktown ... and he said it can be done ... it just depends on the officer though.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #21
AUIIForte

Just to clear up a point made before, my friend didnt get a ticket, just was told that he has two days to give the officer proof of his girl sickness and then he MIGHT, just MIGHT reconsider... So then 2 days came and he called up the officer with proof and ready to head down to the station to give it in phyisical form, but the officer just said "ok, see me next week down at the detective office in belconnen and we'll discuss whats going to happen"

Man i'd be feeling really really sick in the stomach with suspense!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #22
desGT

Quote:
Yes, they are human and can be understanding. I had the same situation in Victoria where I had to take my Mum from Geelong to Melbourne (Dad on last legs). Got hit with a camera fine, Police withdrew it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
Man i'd be feeling really really sick in the stomach with suspense!
YES YES!!! GOOD!! Hopefully (1) lesson about a little more control (growing up) and (2) hope he gets off this time.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #23
AUIIForte

To clear up another thing, my friend doesnt cross the light in his manner 'all the time' as in every light he stops at, just this one every morning when he is going to work because its always completly empty at 4am...

Sorry for the confusion!

BTW: He's making his way down to the department today, he's a little worried though that he's getting set up into a trap. He thinks the officer might suspend his liscence and impound his car and he'll have to find his own way home.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #24
BA_BOSS

I can never understand this one, sick gf, sick cousin, sick husband, sick wife, sick whatever. Unless you are the actual person going to give the diagnosis and administer a cure, what is the benefit in speeding?

How much time do you really save? After being pulled over, probably lost time.

If the sick person is on their own and cant get to phone, call the ambo's, but wait, how did they contact you?.

Too many times this gets abused as an excuse.

Low and behold, he's a P-plater! Now that's got to work in his favour.
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally if it cost me my licence I wouldn't care. Sorry but someone I love is more dear to me than my licence.

I'm guessing this was on the Tuggeranong Parkway? Guys, 140 is nothing on this road.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Personally if it cost me my licence I wouldn't care. Sorry but someone I love is more dear to me than my licence.

I'm guessing this was on the Tuggeranong Parkway? Guys, 140 is nothing on this road.

It's still a public road and illegal though.
If only travelling a short to intermediate distance ... 40km/h over the speed limit will not get you there "that" much quicker. So it's not worth speeding just to get across to the other side of Canberra though.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #27
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
It's still a public road and illegal though.
If only travelling a short to intermediate distance ... 40km/h over the speed limit will not get you there "that" much quicker. So it's not worth speeding just to get across to the other side of Canberra though.
Never said it wasn't illegal or shouldn't be punished in someway, I just say I'd rather lose my licence. People need to place themselves in this guys shoes.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #28
Kryton

Quote:
People need to place themselves in this guys shoes.
he needs to place himself in other people shoes. it only takes a split second to KILL other motorists.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #29
BA_BOSS

Quote:
Fully agree a licence is probably the least important but, what medical purpose has it served?

Someone in the car with you requiring emergency assistance would no doubt be viewed differently, in fact, the police often help and won't book you, but that is not the case in this thread.

In the case of the offender above, his licence is indeed an important issue. The author stated "he NEEDS his liscence!". Remember it's not only for work, he is the family taxi.

Sarcasm aside, it has not been portrayed as a life or death situation, just that she was very sick. Even if she is a "super duper dream come true", Would 5 - 10 minutes have made that much difference? I haven't read anywhere here that it would have.
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #30
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

Unless you're Dr House, what did you achieve getting there 30 seconds quicker?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post