Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Rattles...

Hey guys, i've been noticing lately that i have a few rattles inside the cabin and is annoying the crap outta me! i have noticed this rattle on the inside of the drivers side door and i got told that there is some little thing inside it that comes loose and will rattle, i can even hear it every time i go to shut the door.
Also there is what sounds like air coming in from the drivers side window when i have the window all the way up..i cant feel any air coming in so i cant understand why it would be doing this?

BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From my experience with my AU ute, this is normal. Lucky AUs were mechanically pretty good and had nice dynamics, 'cos they all seem to rattle and carry on from the factory ..

Not sure about the door rattle, but the air "leak" is probably a problem with the door seals. Check they are all in good condition, not perished or folded over, etc? I've seen this problem on a few AUs (but luckliy not my own!)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
nikos
mezzo forte

I have the air noise on the passenger side as well, its annoying eh, I think the seals are getting a bit hard.

Also I have a really bad squeak coming from the dash where it touches the windscreen at the drivers a pillar. Only did it after I removed and replaced the pillar too!

Best thing to do with the door is to pull the trim off, you might find something loose in there.

Cheers Nic
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I have that annoying rattle as well.

I haven't taken the door trim off to check what it is.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is normal for a Ford. I have spent hour upon hour fixing rattles only for new ones to start right after fixing the original ones! I'm looking foward to selling the AU to buy another brand with better interior build quality, shame really.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
This is normal for a Ford. I have spent hour upon hour fixing rattles only for new ones to start right after fixing the original ones! I'm looking foward to selling the AU to buy another brand with better interior build quality, shame really.
Unfortunately rattles are normal for many new cars!! My uncle has a new Audi A6 that's been back for an interior rattle!

I hate rattles though, and they bug the crap out of me - when my car has rattles it basically becomes the only thing I can hear and I go insane.

I've been singing the AU's praises for ages saying how well built it is compared to my previous same year Holden, and the damn thing just started a few rattles a few weeks ago to thank me! Ahhh well, gotta expect that on a 5 year old car with some kays on it!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Not the screws that hold (well they don't really) the toggle switch for the power mirrors that have come adrift? You do need to pull the trims off to access them.
Old 18-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
MRJUCY
Fordless

No rattles or squeaks in mine, the passenger side door trim made a noise over bumps but Stav fixed that when he installed my stereo.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #9
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

:evil3: mine has heaps of rattles. Thanks to the stereo!! :evil3: It keeps loosening everything off.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
Robe

I had 10 years of new Falcons as work cars. Every one had a bit of a wind whistle in the driver's window, faint but noticeable; no matter how tight the window was wound up.

Bog standard silver BF Wagon, except for the Elvis doll , on gas.

Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Association
www.VRRDA.com.au

2015 Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance State Championships
23 May 2015, Furlan Club, Thornbury
Robe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
nutter_x
Nange Road Warrior

My old man has fixed the wind whistle (on both my XR and Forte) by winding down the windows the putting your knee on the inside of the door and bending the upper frame towards you.

Sounds bad, and I never hang around when he does it, but it stops the whistle...and it doesn't seem to have any adverse side effects. He's an ex mechanic, and he reckons that's how they always fixed these sorts of problems...
nutter_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
My old man has fixed the wind whistle (on both my XR and Forte) by winding down the windows the putting your knee on the inside of the door and bending the upper frame towards you.

Sounds bad, and I never hang around when he does it, but it stops the whistle...and it doesn't seem to have any adverse side effects. He's an ex mechanic, and he reckons that's how they always fixed these sorts of problems...
Ouch I don't like the sound of that! Do your doors still line up properly on the outside when closed?
Old 26-07-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
all4fordau

I have had the same rattle inside my drivers door. Today I pulled the trim off the door and set about working out where the rattle was. It turned out to be the rod that connects the key actuator to the door opener. The end at the key has worked loose and freely moves about in the crappy plastic lever that is behind the key hole. I fixed this with a small piece of heat shrink insulation over the rod.It clipped back into place quite snuggly I then reassembled the trim ensuring that all the door hardware and screws were tight as I went. I test drove the car on the roughest piece of road that I could find and heard nothing but the sweet purr of the engine. SUCCESS!!!!!
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #14
mickbag
innocent bystander

nutter_x has the right idea... the driver's door frame bends slightly over time when people use it to swing the door open & shut... usually the driver's side. I worked for awhile as an assembler at a panel beaters and when a car had wind leaks around the doorframe we would wind the glass down, open the door and stand between the open door and the body. Steady the door by putting your knee against it where you would rest your arm if you were driving with the window down, and pull the top of the frame toward you... carefully! (I saw a guy almost bend the frame right off once). It will overflex and then go back to where it was (almost)... it usually only has to bend a few millimetres to be enough... you won't notice the difference until the door is closed and you are travelling.
As nutter_x said, it looks ugly but works... just go gently!

Last edited by mickbag; 26-07-2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: correction
mickbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #15
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm too scared to try and attempt that myself fearing i would break it! lol. i need to get that problem with the wind sound coming through the window fixed tho its driving me nuts! along with that rattle in the door...
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #16
mickbag
innocent bystander

As i said... go gently.
I guess the other thing to check is whether the wind is coming through the gap btw the door and the doorframe or doorglass and the glass seal. Obviously bending the frame won't help any leak around the glass.
mickbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #17
BillC

Nikos, I had a squeek coming from what I thought was the dash meeting the windscreen. It turned out to be the hinges on the bonnet. Give them a bit of a sqirt with wd40 and see if that fixes. Mine squeeked for a couple of years befor I found it.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #18
BillC

Quite a few years ago a mate of mine who worked in a Ford dealership in Darwin told me that 90% of all squeeks and rattles in cars can be fixed with a can of canola spray. You know, the stuff you use for cooking. All they did was spray it around the joints in the dash and anywhere where two parts join. I did this on my ED but have not had to do it on my AU yet. It works wonders. Give it a try. Obviously it wont work on all rattles but it works on the little hard to find ones.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #19
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC
Nikos, I had a squeek coming from what I thought was the dash meeting the windscreen. It turned out to be the hinges on the bonnet. Give them a bit of a sqirt with wd40 and see if that fixes. Mine squeeked for a couple of years befor I found it.
I know its not the hinges as when I push the dash it does it. And its a plastic-glass type sqeak.

That oil idea sounds pretty good, I might give it a go.

Cheers Nic