Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
travisty
WNTDAU

Default e10 fuel

iv got an xr6 and i just run normal unleaded petrol. i was wondering if e10 petrol would be ok to run and if it would be better because it has a higher octain level?

Old 14-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Youl may get a gain compared to 91octane but will use 5-10% more per tank.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
jaym
I Wish I Was A Post Whore

Stay away from e10, stuff is no good. My burn cleaner, (cleaning of carbon build up) but I ask you. Where does that carbon go? Have seen a few motors die after switching to e10. Starting to look like blocked oil galleries are common

XR8 On 20s W00T W00T
www.aufalcon.com/jaysxr8
jaym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym
Stay away from e10, stuff is no good. My burn cleaner, (cleaning of carbon build up) but I ask you. Where does that carbon go? Have seen a few motors die after switching to e10. Starting to look like blocked oil galleries are common
Well I was running E85 which has 8.5 times as much Ethyl Alcohol as E10, and When we stripped my engine down the engine was in IMPECCABLE condition and that was making almost 750 hp at the tyres. My oil galleries were crystal clean.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Well I was running E85 which has 8.5 times as much Ethyl Alcohol as E10, and When we stripped my engine down the engine was in IMPECCABLE condition and that was making almost 750 hp at the tyres. My oil galleries were crystal clean.

Daniel
Surely it would have been tuned for E85 tho! Isn't that what the v8 supercars run too?

I dunno, even if my car wasn't mildly modded and tuned, i still wouldnt trust it!

Mine has had nothing but BP Ultimate for the last 2.5 years

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
I dunno, even if my car wasn't mildly modded and tuned, i still wouldnt trust it!
Fear of the unknown is pretty normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Mine has had nothing but BP Ultimate for the last 2.5 years
And a great fuel it is, but for boosted cars, E85 is the best stuff this side of Methanol and Nitromethane...... and it is pump fuel really.

Daniel
Old 14-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
And a great fuel it is, but for boosted cars, E85 is the best stuff this side of Methanol and Nitromethane...... and it is pump fuel really.

Daniel
Do you add any toluene into ur fuel?

I was trying to teach my yr 12 Chem class about octane ratings and went off on a rant about nitromethane and aviation fuel..

Random, but enjoyable

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Never had a problem in my au 6's as far as e10 itself goes, but rather which brand you choose. In my experience, Caltex is the WORST fuel i've ever used and it will never touch my cars again. Engine wouldn't turn over for at least 3 attempts, idling rough and bad consumption, but the moment i stick BP into it, it runs perfect. Shell is ok too, just usually more expensive here.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh e10 stuffed my cat and melted my oxygen sensor, i was using it for a year, then all of a sudden i had problems right left and centre lol, car was pinging badly, runnin ruff as guts

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
yeh e10 stuffed my cat and melted my oxygen sensor, i was using it for a year, then all of a sudden i had problems right left and centre lol, car was pinging badly, runnin ruff as guts
I ran it for 6 months and while I killed an X-force metal cat, it probably has more to do with the power being made.

What people do not realize is that Ethanol effectively leans off your Air fuel ratio as the stoichiometric value is totally different. ULP is 14.64:1, while pure ethanol is closer to 9:1. Even 10% can make your AFR's lean off by 0.5:1 effective equivalence, and for those with a speed-density MAP style ECU (like our inline 6), any changes to the combustion process that improves the airflow efficiency into or out of the engine WILL make the car run leaner anyway. Combine that with a modest % of Ethanol and you can soon be running an equivalent AFR at WOT in the order of 13-13.5:1.... that's enough to melt cats, sensors, pistons whatever, and will cause pinging, high temps and eventually, engine failure.

If you play with alternative fuels, pay for a tune, or be prepared for issues.

Dont blame the fuel, blame the unknowing user.

Daniel
Old 14-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Yeah its all to common for people to blame e10 for something that has gone wrong in their car.all its got is a little bit of alcohol added.you dont hear of many problems on new cars only the ones that have been to the moon and back.If people had kept running the same fuel they still may have come into the problem but we will never no so its easy to blame any recent changes.ive used it many times in the wagon and all i get is a little less kms per litre nothing else.

That e85 is some serious stuff when used correctly.Street legal alcohol fuel yeeeeehar!
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #12
CFOUR
The Destroyer

*Lightly off topic*
has anyone used the shell VPower 100?
Old 15-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Shell Vpower 100 is the only stuff I use, good power and excellent milage from the tank, my XR6 VCT gets about 600km from the tank and I have a heavy right foot.
I wouldnt use anything else, but as stated above if I was running a boost setup I would most likely go for a E10 mix and have it tuned to that.
pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post