Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Are you a Handling or Acceleration person?
Handling (i.e. a chassis focus) 102 50.50%
Acceleration (i.e. a powertrain focus) 100 49.50%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Lagom

Default Are You a Handling or Acceleration Person?

As a driver, what do you put a greater premium on - handling or straight line performance?

I've always been a handling before performance type of person - power is nothing without control. Driving fast in a straight line only has temporary thrills for me, I can tell you after driving at 250km/h in Germany on the Autobahn, it's not that exciting after a while. But put me on a twisty road out in the countryside and with a nicely sorted chassis, I'll have a lot of fun, even if I'm not breaking the speed limit. That's why I like Ford's small Euro cars.

Until more recent times (ie. pre BA), I've seen large Aussie Fords as cars that placed acceleration before handling - really not that amazing in the chassis department and hardly having the last word in brakes. But that seemed to have a lot of appeal for many.

Yes, there are cars that manage to combine handling and acceleration nicely together - I'm asking you to choose.

I've always felt handling is more important than outright acceleration, but I know there's a lot of people who don't mind a drag, love their high capacity/turbo cars. Maybe for me it comes back to the feeling I have that I find a driving on a technically challenging, twisty road a lot more impressive than just going fast in a straight line.

Which side of the camp do you fall on?

Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like both although biased towards handling. Top speed and 1/4 mile time don't interest me since they have no relevance to everday driving.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

I used to live up towards Bendigo in a small country town by the name of Elphinstone.

Narrow, winding, dirt roads in every direction as far as the eye could see.

You can jump off the line as quick as you want but real bragging rights aren't earned by walking away from a straight line.

Also, the best thing about good handling is that no matter how many times you practice your acceleration, you're never really going to learn to accelerate any better, are you? Hook your car around a good bend a dozen times and tell me you didn't learn how to place your car and react better each time.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
SVR73
Mr Polish

Corners rock thus handling is my preference
Fortunately I have a car that can provide superb handling straight out of the box
Do want to improve it more though
Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Chassis dynamics have always been more intriguing to me than making more power, but I can appreciate both
Old 11-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Chassis dynamics have always been more intriguing to me than making more power, but I can appreciate both
Same again
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
EL_futuraistic

Yeah im definately into Handling more than straight line speed. Recently changed from a pedders suspensioned Car to a small 4wd.... enough power, but the handling scares me, so time to go back to a good suspensioned car.

Like most ppl say, its easy to go fast, it takes skill and the right vehicle to negotiate corners.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Acceleration all the way for me! And to have good acceleration it has got to have a decent setup anyways....otherwise you'd just sit and spin or fish tail. That's not acceleration.

No use having a nice tuff looking car but still get blown away by the magnadores at the lights.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I like both, but from a practical side straight line stuff would marginally win because it is predominately cheaper (not high end stuff of course)

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Whats the point in having the power if you cant hold it on the road...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Handling. Despite my heavy long-wheelbase wagon, my `automotive influence' is mainly WRC and the mountain touge. Mountain/forrest roads are fun, especially the challenging ones that up, down, left, right, tilt left and right, and change size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Until more recent times (ie. pre BA), I've seen large Aussie Fords as cars that placed acceleration before handling - really not that amazing in the chassis department and hardly having the last word in brakes. But that seemed to have a lot of appeal for many.
It's suprising actually, my EA wagon with S-pack R15's outcorners (or at least stays with) smaller modern econocars (stock), but I'm not certain why. Lighter FWD cars have much more of the car's weight over the front wheels, which should theoretically give it more traction (perhaps their front tyres aren't big enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Yes, there are cars that manage to combine handling and acceleration nicely together - I'm asking you to choose.
Well yea, but no roads are made entirely of corners, and even if it was, you still need power to push it through corners. Both
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Handling even if it slow 1/4 times...Its a street car and soft spring ,90/10 ratio shocks etc just doesn't cut it!!!
350 + mm brakes etc for me .. 30mm sway bars etc.. Neo suspension bushes ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

nothing like being thrown back in a seat i'm all acceloration but a street driven drag car can be quiiiite a handfull and very unpracticle and hard to keep traction none the less

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
xr8ute
Back on the road

I'll take one of each please

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #15
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

dont ya mean a ferrari :p
or how about a detomaso pantera with a stroked 650 hp clevo and race suspension mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #16
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

It's a complete package that makes a car bring a grin to my face ... accelerative performance with chassis balance and control capable of using (absorbing) spirited driving , and brakes that allow repeated hard applications.
All the fellars out there driving FPV's and earlier model equivilants have got vehicles that come closest to this, but sadly "lesser" Ford models are way behind. Understeer, questionable standard brake fitment and rolly chassis response are not that appealing.
(Having said that I still reckon overall Ford makes the best product !!!!)
Jesus it's great to be able to tune our cars.... some of the cars on this forum are just awsome, and to the guys that drive em, well done )
Just like WEAPON GT. What a package !

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #17
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Handling, with out a doubt. What's the use of hughe amounts of HP if you can't go round a corner.....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #18
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Straight line acceleration for me!! I love getting pushed in the seat when in big hp cars, then again I have to like the drag strip as the old XP understeers in any corner over 60kph!!

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #19
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i agree with vino3o2, there's nothing like being slammed against the seat, after all everyone loves the gravatron.
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #20
Steffo
LPG > You

I don't mind drag racing... but when it comes down to it, give me a good handling car over a nothing-but-straight-line car any day.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #21
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I cant really say as my car's purpose really isnt for either.

I'll say both though.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #22
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going fast in a straight line isn't as great as first thought, especially when you have to pay the gas bill.

Which is why I'm mostly driving my slower but better handling car. Can never get tired of going round different cambered, shaped corners, spinning the inside rear, rev matching for slow corners etc. Can't say the same for acceleration, every bit of straight road is the bloody same!
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #23
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

handling isn't just about the car, it's also the driver, and what lines you take the corner with
Old 11-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #24
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFalcs
handling isn't just about the car, it's also the driver, and what lines you take the corner with
Well ther you go guy's. You learn something every day. and I always thought that the cars when around corners by them self's. :

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #25
Rapid260

Handling, is the way to go.

Kev
Rapid260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #26
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so your gonna drive a few kilometers to feel some handling but you don't want to waste fuel on a couple of straight line runs, doesn't add up you will use more fuel in the handling part of it
Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #27
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so your gonna drive a few kilometers to feel some handling but you don't want to waste fuel on a couple of straight line runs, doesn't add up you will use more fuel in the handling part of it
But to go fast in the straight line barge, you need WOT, while watching the gas gague go down very quickly - thats where the only enjoyment is (handles like s***). As for takling some turns in the better handling machine, whether its flat, downhill (not much throttle applied), or even up hill, its still going to use less gas (2.5L v 5.5). So not only is handling more fun (IMO), its cheaper, well, in my case anyway. I would rather drive 2 or 3 fun twisty kms than two 10 second flat out straight line runs.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 12:40 AM   #28
NEG
Diabolus

defently power. I love old tanks with soft suspension and way more power than the old pizza cutter wheels can put to the ground. so much more exciting trying to keep the thing undercontrol in my opinion.
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #29
HLC
Audi S3

i dont like corners. they get me unstuck :
Old 16-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #30
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Both.