Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default FORD ORION manual spindle tester

Hey guys,
i was just driving along Salisbury hwy at Salisbury when i noticed a ford tray top ute with this aluminium piece of machinery on it.
When we pulled up at the Waterloo cnr rd lights i noticed a sticker on the machine that read FORD ORION MANUAL SPINDLE TESTER.
It was all covered with plastic but had torn and exposed the thing and its label.
The interesting thing was it turned at the commercial rd lights and went around the back of the Holdens assembly plant at Eliz sth.
I wonder if holdens have borrowed it for testing or if it was taking a back way to Rebel Ford at Elizabeth.

Anyone out there know what this device would be for?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but i thought it would be of interest.

Cheers
Steve

BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Dilan

wtf is a spindle tester?
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not too familiar with Adelaide/Elizabeth area however could it have been on the way to a transport depot for shipping to Victoria?

....oh yeah, from an online dictionary
"Any of various mechanical parts that revolve or serve as axes for larger revolving parts, as in a lock, axle, phonograph turntable, or lathe."
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hopefully a machine that will test out a new diff? It's really what they need.... to improve the reliability of them...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

How big was the aparatus?

Most likely to test axles, drive shafts etc...
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
How big was the aparatus?

Most likely to test axles, drive shafts etc...
The piece of machinery was box shaped and about 2ft square.
It had about 6 ribbed hoses approx 1.5" in diameter coming out of the top .
It appeared as though it stood on legs and was all alloy finish except for the hoses.
Thats all i could see apart from the label, which i had to read about 4 times before it sunk in.
Nearly ran up the guys *** trying to see more.
That would have been good, heres my details now what is that and can i play with it for a minute or two.

On another note, i wouldn't be surprised if holdens were testing it as when i worked for Toyota we often were asked to clean new hilux's etc for holdens to water test for R&D.
Arent EA and VN interior light assemblies the same.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
I wonder if holdens have borrowed it for testing or if it was taking a back way to Rebel Ford at Elizabeth.
Could be a possibility, as they have exchanged tooling a number of times in the past
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
Could be a possibility, as they have exchanged tooling a number of times in the past
True, and Ford's Geelong stamping plant also plays a part in stamping for Holden/Toyota etc... Sharing amongst the manufacturer's is not uncommon.
Old 20-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
True, and Ford's Geelong stamping plant also plays a part in stamping for Holden/Toyota etc... Sharing amongst the manufacturer's is not uncommon.
But but but!!! It just seems wrong!

Orion.. will we ever see an image?
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Orion.. will we ever see an image?
yes, but i'm sure it will be a loong way off.
Old 20-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
yes, but i'm sure it will be a loong way off.
This is what worries me.

Everyones saying its great how the VE hype is over and now Ford can blow it out of the water with Orion. And the media will be all over it.

What they dont realize is, Orion will come out close to the VE replacement. VE2 is next year. VF will come out only a few months after Orion!

The way i see it:

Orion: 2nd Quarter 2008

VF: 3rd Quarter 2008

Holden ideally placed, again.
Old 25-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Tool room made parts for Boeing too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
XR8putts

No the VEs architecture will not change any time soon.

But VF (2008) will bring new headlights, bumpers, bonnets, mags, guards, taillights, gearboxes?, engines? and interiors. Think of how well VX worked with the VT design, yet was very different and fresh.

And this is what the public will see. Holden will market it as the all new Commodore. And this will happen straight after Orion, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 20-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

But VF (2008) will bring new headlights, bumpers, bonnets, mags, guards, taillights, gearboxes?, engines? and interiors. Think of how well VX worked with the VT design, yet was very different and fresh.

And this is what the public will see. Holden will market it as the all new Commodore. And this will happen straight after Orion, correct me if I'm wrong.
If you are saying all these changes will happen in 2008, then i highly doubt it.

You are looking at R&D costs well into the hundreds of millions. Will not happen only 2 years into VE's life.
Old 20-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Try more like a VX change, ie no sheetmetal mods.
(Btw VT-VZ all had the same basic interior)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #16
falconlover
Bathurst 2007, Ford 1-2-3

What the hell is a manual spindle tester?
falconlover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #17
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

i'm suprised that ford let anything with the name orion out in public.....
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #18
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

I beleive they have/ will do a facelift every two years.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #19
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Havent Holden released an update every 12 months since VT? VX came out out approx 2 years after VT was released. A VX style update might well be possible not long after Orions launch.
And bodyshell lifespans will be shorter now than before, I read 6 year life spans will become the norm.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 12:13 AM   #20
XR8putts

Holden update every 2 years, not including series 2 cars.

That is my point. VX was a great upgrade to VT, with new headlights, tailligts, bumpers, wheels etc. Although not very different, VX made VT look very nice. Just over 2 years from VT release.

So VE mid 2006, so in 2008 (third quarter) - we can expect VF to have updated headlights, tailights, new wheels, bumpers, options etc. Its happend every 2 years, VT, VX, VY, VZ. Each new two letters have brought new lights, bumpers, etc.. Each 2 years apart.

And the person that said VT-VZ had the same basic interior, but google a VT interior and a VY interior and tell me theres not much difference.

Why do people find it so hard to believe that there will be a VF with all the stuff listed above in 3rd Quart 08????
Old 21-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #21
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And the person that said VT-VZ had the same basic interior, but google a VT interior and a VY interior and tell me theres not much difference.
Minor changes, but still basically the same. Certainly not like AU-BA which was totally different.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #22
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Is there really a problem with the BA platform, they also said that it will adobt the Territory steering as in rack in front of axle like the VE. So this and the fact that the AU IRS worked better than BA so they could always go back to the AU IRS. In recent test with Force 6 and VE senator they were surprised how well the Force 6 handled and said it rode better than the VE. Remember that BA had way better suspension than VZ and the VE update only brought it inline with BA layout.
Old 21-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #23
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
Is there really a problem with the BA platform, they also said that it will adobt the Territory steering as in rack in front of axle like the VE. So this and the fact that the AU IRS worked better than BA so they could always go back to the AU IRS. In recent test with Force 6 and VE senator they were surprised how well the Force 6 handled and said it rode better than the VE. Remember that BA had way better suspension than VZ and the VE update only brought it inline with BA layout.
Correct - there really isn't any wrong at all with the platform and there's no need to reinvent the wheel. There are significant changes still as extra and time and money will always improve and evolve design, so Orion will benefit from this.

One more point, the AU IRS isn't better than Control blade. Control blade brought many advatages. They are two different systems in two significantly different cars, structuraly, and weight. These two differences would contribute to the dynamics of the car considerably, so isolating the IRS system and saying it's reposnsible, wouldn't be totally correct.
Old 21-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #24
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Correct - there really isn't any wrong at all with the platform and there's no need to reinvent the wheel. There are significant changes still as extra and time and money will always improve and evolve design, so Orion will benefit from this.

One more point, the AU IRS isn't better than Control blade. Control blade brought many advatages. They are two different systems in two significantly different cars, structuraly, and weight. These two differences would contribute to the dynamics of the car considerably, so isolating the IRS system and saying it's reposnsible, wouldn't be totally correct.
I have spoke to plenty of suspension experts who say that the AU IRS was a better design than the control blade, it was only changed due to weight as why else would you change such a good set up after 4 years when holden had its for 15 years. Plenty magazines commented on how the BA lost its razor sharp handling of the T series cars. They seam to have a stronger diff/Axle shafts to than BA.
Old 21-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #25
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have spoke to plenty of suspension experts who say that the AU IRS was a better design than the control blade, it was only changed due to weight as why else would you change such a good set up after 4 years when holden had its for 15 years. Plenty magazines commented on how the BA lost its razor sharp handling of the T series cars. They seam to have a stronger diff/Axle shafts to than BA.
There are many reasons why the system changed, modular design, subframe design to significantly increase body rigity and to conform with Territory architecture also.

As i said, the dynamics of the previous IRS cars were not only different because of the IRS itself, but the much lighter body etc. That's not to say that the IRS in those cars wasn't good, it was great!
Old 25-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #26
Lagom

Quote:
I have spoke to plenty of suspension experts who say that the AU IRS was a better design than the control blade, it was only changed due to weight as why else would you change such a good set up after 4 years when holden had its for 15 years.
Control Blade was introduced due to cost - the double wishbone setup was too expensive, especially to introduce across the range.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #27
HSE2

Where is this review of the Force 6 v E series senator?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #28
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Haven't they already tested the F6 vs E series...its exactly the same car. :MrT_anim:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #29
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
In the lastest Wheels magazine, they basically come out equal, with the Force 8 lagging behind....

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #30
killer_taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute6
In the lastest Wheels magazine, they basically come out equal, with the Force 8 lagging behind....
This sums it up pretty much...

“In the end, the HSV did just enough to share a win with the Force 6, but given it’s a brand-new platform, that’s not much to crow about. That it’s the best-looking, best-equipped and dynamically most entertaining car is of little doubt, but it was a shock to see the HSV run so close by FPV’s older platform.” - Wheels Dec 06.
killer_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post