Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default CD Player on the way out, or not???

Well, well, well.

This morning, I decided that the song that was playing on the radio sucked, so I switch over to CD.

Nothing happens, spits the CD out and goes back to radio.

It does this with burned and legit CD's, and started doing it a little while ago.

I put the CD back in to see if it will read it again, but doesn't.

Is the factory HU on the way out?
Old 26-04-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

If it's the 6 CD in-dash HU, then yes, it's on the way out (if it isn't already). The 6 CD in-dash HU's in AUII and AUIII are.. well, in a word, sh1t. And from what I'm hearing, also the BA HU. Wish Ford used their brains and designed a single CD/Tape HU with a 6 stack in the boot. I mean, how often do you change all 6 CD's in the HU? Most times it's just the one CD that you'd change.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Thing is though, it isn't the 6 disc in-dash HU, it's just a single CD. It's got me stuffed, it worked fine when I first got the ute, now it doesn't wanna play...

Last edited by TheSneakiness; 26-04-2005 at 04:41 PM.
TheSneakiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
FAT69XT
Starter Motor

My AUII single CD does the same thing sometimes- its a pain in the ***- just keep pushing the CD back in again and eventually it will play again (hopefully)!
FAT69XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
5speedTE

grrr, mine does that 2, is there any way or tricking in to thinking it is a legal CD?
5speedTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Its not because its a burnt CD that its doing it. Sometimes our 6 in dash does it but it never gets used enough to worry about. Just keep trying, if it doesnt work try resetting the unit but only if you have the security code for it!
Old 28-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

The laser may need cleaning, Try one of them laser disk cleaners and see if that helps(i dont like them, but not everyones going to be able to rip apart the head unit to do it propaly)

If that dont fix it, it is possible the spindle motor could be buggered.

But if ya have to get it fixed its probably goin to be cheaper to buy a new headunit and install that...
XplodE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 10:51 PM   #8
Steve_T

^^^ I would agree - it usually does this when a disc read error prevents it reading the TOC eg. a scratched disc. If doing it on all discs then maybe dirty lens. Try cleaning disc as it's easy but if it still don't work it may be because the cleaning discs dont do the best job - have to pull apart and clean lens(es) properly like XplodE said.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 02:19 AM   #9
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Hey AUII XLS UTE,
Had mine renewed by ford at wtty. May be worth a try?
Cheers,
Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 08:11 AM   #10
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

Ive found the 6 stacker in my Xr8 only spits out burnt CD's and not originals, but all the CD's I mainly listen to are burnt ones, and its bloody annoying
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 08:20 AM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Its dead unfortunately... THe AU headunits Ford chose are terrible, the 6 stackers are rot and the single units are not much better. Out of 24 I have 6 still play CD's.. The rest are radio only jobbies :(

Don't bother with trying to repair it just go aftermarket.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #12
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Yeah. I'm looking at aftermarket now. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 29-04-2005, 09:45 AM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Definately look at the higher end Pioneer models, theyre great. Even the cheapie $400 model i had which was very basic sounded great, better than some of the large systems my mates had.
Old 20-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
Howie05
Starter Motor

Smile

These posts are all a long time ago, but I thought I would put in my 2 bob's worth. Just bought a 2000 model AUII Futura in great nick and having been in the seller's salesyard for a month the battery was down to half charge. I topped up with 15ml per cell Inox battery conditioner and charged to full SG of 1.275. Of course when I reconnected battery the CD AM/FM wanted the security code, and I put in the code in the original papers. Turned out this was the code for the dealer not the CD/radio. So I crapped out and got a dreaded "error" message. Called the local service dept after getting the right code from the Ford dealer and having no luck. He said just let the unit restore it's memory by leaving it alone switched off for many,many hours. If I had no luck I would have to have them, "Ford", remove the unit and send it away for repair. I tried that and no good. So then I searched the web and found a great site in the UK, which could provide security codes given unit serial numbers (for free). Also I found a statement that the error message could be deleted (allowing input of the valid code) by leaving the radio on for exactly one hour. IT WORKS. By the way my unit has no trouble playing CDR or CDR/W. Maybe it hasn't been used much.
Always had Japanese cars for the last 20 years. Wouldn't touch Holden or Ford, now I want to tow a van. My AU is at this early stage, around the best value for money that I could find, given I wouldn't want a 4WD anyway.
Howie05 is offline   Reply With Quote