Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default VE Commodore named best Australian car

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226621956105

Old 16-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
nstg8a

Default Re: VE Commodore named best Australian car

Sigh....

I'm surprised ford got 2nd n 3rd to be honest.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should just name Wheels and Motor GM Magazine their that biased... Needless to say i stopped buying them ages ago and find carsguide more of a realistic opinion.
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Bollocks!!!

VE is a good car. FG is way better.
Old 16-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
Bollocks!!!

VE is a good car. FG is way better.

But the Falcon isnt Australian
Old 16-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Sorry, I forgot..
Old 17-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
joeyy17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Aparently neither is the VE (according to chev badges/holdenowners)
Old 18-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyy17 View Post
Aparently neither is the VE (according to chev badges/holdenowners)
Bit of a shame, Holden itself place Chev badges onto Commodores.....So strike that one off the list as a good point

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

What a meaningful award that is... Seems like something they made up. IMO i see it better for Ford, Ford got 2nd for 1 model in the range whereas Olden got it for an entire model designation.

Anywho grain on salt.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 Falcons
1 Territory
1 Commodore
1 Monaro
1 48-215 (FX)
1 Charger
1 HQ Kingswood

Ever heard the term "1 trick pony"
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
1 HQ Kingswood
They obviously forgot that when the GM bosses came out here in 71 they were shocked at how bad the HQ's handling was, even though it was their best selling holden ever.
Old 17-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
They obviously forgot that when the GM bosses came out here in 71 they were shocked at how bad the HQ's handling was, even though it was their best selling holden ever.
On the plus side, you could fix a HQ with a bit of fencing wire and a hammer. I remember the 202 HQ my sister had. The harmonic balancer always needed hitting back towards the motor before it worked it's way off the engine. There was no bolt for it onto the crankshaft, just press fit. Then it drove the accessories off the harmonic balancer, not a pulley bolted to the inner ring. This meant the outer ring used to slip around on it's bit of rubber, then you didn't have a clue where the timing mark went in relation to TDC. If you tried advancing the timing it didn't even run, it would just stall.

In comparison my 75 XB V8 was refined.

Why wasn't the XB Falcon in there. That would have been Fords biggest selling Falcon. I think they sold something like 560000 of them, but I could be wrong.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
On the plus side, you could fix a HQ with a bit of fencing wire and a hammer. I remember the 202 HQ my sister had. The harmonic balancer always needed hitting back towards the motor before it worked it's way off the engine. There was no bolt for it onto the crankshaft, just press fit. Then it drove the accessories off the harmonic balancer, not a pulley bolted to the inner ring. This meant the outer ring used to slip around on it's bit of rubber, then you didn't have a clue where the timing mark went in relation to TDC. If you tried advancing the timing it didn't even run, it would just stall.

In comparison my 75 XB V8 was refined.

Why wasn't the XB Falcon in there. That would have been Fords biggest selling Falcon. I think they sold something like 560000 of them, but I could be wrong.
XB sold nowhere near that, I don't think the HQ even sold that many. IIRC the highest selling Falcon was the XF.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
XB sold nowhere near that, I don't think the HQ even sold that many. IIRC the highest selling Falcon was the XF.
According to this Wiki (Yeah I know Wiki isn't best source of info) you're right the XF was the best selling Falcon.

I remember the old man had a white XF sedan, last of the run out ones ('88 model).
Old 17-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah they where pretty average drivers, I drove a few of them including a hq statesman, I couldn't believe how badly the statesman drove, an absolute dung box. Fairlane was 10 times better.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Shouldn't have surprised them ... the HQ was all Chevy. Had a 64 Impala come into the workshop, years ago when I still played with hand tools, for repairs to a rear lower shock mount. Customers mechanic sent him to us because the lower mount was rattling from a worn bolt seat. Climbed under to make a start..... crikey .. HQ. Easy to fix ... my HQ, and likely every other one on the road, had the same problem.
Old 16-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This new award seems rather timely, given the bad news which has been emerging about the Commodore's future in recent days.

A cynic might even think Holden might have asked Wheels for some sort of 'return' on their advertising spend, something which could divert attention away from their current media predicament.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Meanwhile almost anyone else will rate the Territory as the best as it showed ingenuity coming into a booming market segment.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
This new award seems rather timely, given the bad news which has been emerging about the Commodore's future in recent days.

A cynic might even think Holden might have asked Wheels for some sort of 'return' on their advertising spend, something which could divert attention away from their current media predicament.
Heh heh heh .... eeeevil thoughts there.
Old 17-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post

I trust all you conspiracy theorists will have a suitably dismissive attitude towards any positive review of FH Falcon by the media, as a paid GM advertisement? Why it would be a paid advertisement by GM I don't know, but since everything apparently is according to some, then presumably GM will also pay for a good Ford review too. Or will you conveniently forget the media is in GM's pocket if they say something positive about the new Falcon?

Cant have it both ways, so look forward to the "The Falcon can't possibly be that good" stories you will all be writing on this site, should any car magazine or web site dare to like the new FH. As proof, paradoxically, that you aren't in Holden's pocket.

That or the whole conspiracy stuff is mostly baseless, except for one well known auto writer, who isn't liking Ford, Holden, Australian manufacturing or much of anything lately in his quest to get on the front page of news.com.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 17-04-2013 at 02:11 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=DanielXR8;4702240]I trust all you conspiracy theorists will have a suitably dismissive attitude towards any positive review of FH Falcon by the media, as a paid GM advertisement? Why it would be a paid advertisement by GM I don't know, but since everything apparently is according to some, then presumably GM will also pay for a good Ford review too. Or will you conveniently forget the media is in GM's pocket if they say something positive about the new Falcon?

./QUOTE]

Look around Daniel .... there's plenty on this forum who are negative of the Falcon.
Old 17-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
I trust all you conspiracy theorists will have a suitably dismissive attitude towards any positive review of FH Falcon by the media, as a paid GM advertisement? Why it would be a paid advertisement by GM I don't know, but since everything apparently is according to some, then presumably GM will also pay for a good Ford review too. Or will you conveniently forget the media is in GM's pocket if they say something positive about the new Falcon?

Cant have it both ways, so look forward to the "The Falcon can't possibly be that good" stories you will all be writing on this site, should any car magazine or web site dare to like the new FH. As proof, paradoxically, that you aren't in Holden's pocket.

That or the whole conspiracy stuff is mostly baseless, except for one well known auto writer, who isn't liking Ford, Holden, Australian manufacturing or much of anything lately in his quest to get on the front page of news.com.
and if you don't think sponsers and deals and partnerships don't come with plenty of under the table agendas in this day and age...your total oblivious. Anyone who doesn't live under a rock, has been reading biased wheels and motor reviews for many years...where one week handling is king and the next week its all about power. It ALL revolves around money my friend.
The FG falcon is by far and away the better overall car. There are many many facts awards and good solid non biased reviews that clearly show this.
But they are still built to a budget so im sure anyone will always find something to whinge about. Like how the famously mythed high seating position in fords is unbearable.....like that has anything on the massive pillairs on a VE commodore. Will continue rant if needed
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Like how the famously mythed high seating position in fords is unbearable.....like that has anything on the massive pillairs on a VE commodore.
I've never understood this. Both WHEELS and MOTOR never mentioned it when FG launched. Now, you can't read an FG article without them mentioning it's ergonomic flaws, high seating position, and poor fit and finish.

From what I've found, the seating position isn't much different between the two, but FG seats are softer and more comfortable (in my opinion) the leather seats in VE's feel like Hungry Jacks benches.

Ergonomic flaws; VE handbrake, A-pillar and poor rearward visibility come to mind...

Fit and finish. FG's aren't the best, but at least they don't have that 'tackle box' feel about them. The plastic marks easy and the texture has a tendency to retain dust and dirt.

*end rant
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
and if you don't think sponsers and deals and partnerships don't come with plenty of under the table agendas in this day and age...your total oblivious. Anyone who doesn't live under a rock, has been reading biased wheels and motor reviews for many years...where one week handling is king and the next week its all about power. It ALL revolves around money my friend.
The FG falcon is by far and away the better overall car. There are many many facts awards and good solid non biased reviews that clearly show this.
But they are still built to a budget so im sure anyone will always find something to whinge about. Like how the famously mythed high seating position in fords is unbearable.....like that has anything on the massive pillairs on a VE commodore. Will continue rant if needed
Granted I like you will take the supposed high seating position on a Falcon to the pillars on the Holden. I'm not saying deals are not done, but I think its not anything like what some paint it. Sometimes people just prefer the other car. In the end Falcon and Commodore are very close anyway.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Granted I like you will take the supposed high seating position on a Falcon to the pillars on the Holden. I'm not saying deals are not done, but I think its not anything like what some paint it. Sometimes people just prefer the other car. In the end Falcon and Commodore are very close anyway.
don't mean to be picky.....but they are not that close at all. For eg.
For the Australian Best Car Awards...(the real unbiased peoples awards RACQ)
Large class the falcon has won the last 3 years and came second the 2 years before that. The Ve never beat the FG, it never even came second. That alone tells me without even looking into it that there is NO way in hell the VE can be the best aussie car.
And you clowns saying this is just a ford forum and that's what youd expect.....well the facts tell the story....who cares about bias.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
nstg8a

I think the terri had too many quality issues to be awarded the top gong, I'd go the fg xr6t I reckon, over the ba. The ba might have been the saving grace for ford, but the fg is the ultimate incarnation of it...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #27
Eldubayu
Banned

Wink Re: VE Commodore named best Australian car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I think the terri had too many quality issues to be awarded the top gong, I'd go the fg xr6t I reckon, over the ba. The ba might have been the saving grace for ford, but the fg is the ultimate incarnation of it...
Totally agree. Teri are awful quality wise (the first ones, at least), and BA was the defib Ford needed after the AU heart attack.

And how the hell did the Charger get in there, they were right up there with the Leyland P76 in handling and poor fit. The steering was like a PS3 game, absolutely no feel.

VE is deserved winner .................. Although the cynic in me suggests that Holden (GM) advertises a lot in Wheels Mag.
Eldubayu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldubayu View Post
And how the hell did the Charger get in there, they were right up there with the Leyland P76 in handling and poor fit. The steering was like a PS3 game, absolutely no feel.

The Charger had an excellent race history....Fair call it didn't win the big one, but that's only due to the wheel nuts jamming on the swollen wheel studs. Even then, it came in a respectable 3rd.....And it was only running a 6 banger, not the "big V8"....

Add in, it took 30+ years for any Aussie designed 6 cyl to come close to it's quickness....Even then, they needed a turbo to do it.

There were also plenty of other innovations with that car, but considering you're biased towards the blue oval, you wouldn't understand....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #29
Eldubayu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post

There were also plenty of other innovations with that car, but considering you're biased towards the blue oval, you wouldn't understand....
My comments also suggested that the VE is a deserved winner. But you are right, I'm a Ford fan
Eldubayu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #30
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldubayu View Post
Totally agree. Teri are awful quality wise (the first ones, at least), and BA was the defib Ford needed after the AU heart attack.

VE is deserved winner .................. Although the cynic in me suggests that Holden (GM) advertises a lot in Wheels Mag.
What are you talking about???? The HQ Holden shouldn't be in there for rotten handling, rotten braking, rotten acceleration, rotten fuel economy, and serious rust issues. The Charger was a hell of a car, nothing like a P76. Don't know what you're talking about awful quality with a Territory. Have you actually owned one???? Mine has been no trouble at all. Go back and drive your Prado.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: