Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Uber is illegal in Victoria...

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ub...04-glfcly.html

Why the hell does everything people do need government sanction... oh wait so they can tax the **** out of it.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Uber is illegal in Victoria...

but legal in ACT.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
but legal in ACT.
So is all the fun stuff!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have Uber a go and liked it but if a cab was available we'd use them, but now after seeing their reaction to Uber we will not use a taxi again while Uber is available. They don't want Uber playing by the same rules, they want Uber gone and their monopoly retained. The public have spoken and no government will be able to outlaw Uber for ever.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Even I think this stinks and I look like a younger, fatter Daniel Andrews.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Victoria always the 'police state'. 2 1/2 years there was more than enough for a lifetime!
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a service that disrupts regulated industry. Say you buy a bus and decide to drive around and charge people for your service but don't comply with any of the regulations . Or maybe buy a fire truck and offer your services to the public via the app? How do you think that would go ?
Competition is great if everyone involved plays under the same rules.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
It is a service that disrupts regulated industry. Say you buy a bus and decide to drive around and charge people for your service but don't comply with any of the regulations . Or maybe buy a fire truck and offer your services to the public via the app? How do you think that would go ?
The rules are the worst enemy of competition.

And disruptive technology and methods are the drivers of innovation and necessary change. And the legal system isn't exactly amenable to such change.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #9
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
The rules are the worst enemy of competition.

And disruptive technology and methods are the drivers of innovation and necessary change. And the legal system isn't exactly amenable to such change.
It is obvious that uber has picked up on customer dissatisfaction in the area of taxi services worldwide. Since people are so unhappy about existing service not many are feeling the sympathy for the taxi industry . If this was happening in a different industry things might of been different.
Regardless of that uber x seems to fall under hire car rules . That in Victoria means the driver should be accredited (cost $40k plus yearly fee and car type and age is specified) .

Some interesting reading here :
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-1...-check/6846512
Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #10
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is a service that disrupts regulated industry. Say you buy a bus and decide to drive around and charge people for your service but don't comply with any of the regulations .
It always amuses me that the government/slash those that support regulations have so many of the public hoodwinked into thinking we REQUIRE regulations.

Spent 20 years in the taxi industry

Regulated fares check
Driver accreditation check
Uniforms check
Color check
roadworthy check
Cameras check
boot release check
Taxi services commission check
Taxi and hire care services Act check
Assigning licenses check
High Licence costs check
Industry geared to look after minorities check (every disabled group is given money to pursue late taxis)

FFS we are driving people from point A to point B its not that *** complicated.

Over regulation has killed services and yet some people will defend regulations to the death.

We vote for the idiot governments who condition us that regulations are good. The governments have been milking the industry for all its worth while protecting some players.

Even though it will cost me it is good for the public.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
It always amuses me that the government/slash those that support regulations have so many of the public hoodwinked into thinking we REQUIRE regulations.

Spent 20 years in the taxi industry

Regulated fares check
Driver accreditation check
Uniforms check
Color check
roadworthy check
Cameras check
boot release check
Taxi services commission check
Taxi and hire care services Act check
Assigning licenses check
High Licence costs check
Industry geared to look after minorities check (every disabled group is given money to pursue late taxis)

FFS we are driving people from point A to point B its not that *** complicated.

Over regulation has killed services and yet some people will defend regulations to the death.

We vote for the idiot governments who condition us that regulations are good. The governments have been milking the industry for all its worth while protecting some players.

Even though it will cost me it is good for the public.
So you would prefer completely unregulated fares , no cameras , no driver accreditation , no uniform or a roadworthy car and don't worry about disabled people either ?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #12
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you would prefer completely unregulated fares , no cameras , no driver accreditation , no uniform or a roadworthy car and don't worry about disabled people either ?
Look where its got us.

Do you think that the industry didn't function until these things came in?

All I'm saying is that regulation hasn't delivered a decent service to the public and it has become completely over complicated when the service is just A to B.

Regulations add unnecessary costs that the end user in the vast majority of cases couldn't care less about.

Obviously a roadworthy vehicle is a must but I would debate that mandatory yearly roadworthies have done anything to improve the standard of vehicles compared to before it was introduced.

The way forward for the taxi industry is to go back to a 1 car 1 driver model and banish all the people taking a cut out of the industry.

However, there are too many vested interests.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Look where its got us.

Do you think that the industry didn't function until these things came in?

All I'm saying is that regulation hasn't delivered a decent service to the public and it has become completely over complicated when the service is just A to B.

Regulations add unnecessary costs that the end user in the vast majority of cases couldn't care less about.

Obviously a roadworthy vehicle is a must but I would debate that mandatory yearly roadworthies have done anything to improve the standard of vehicles compared to before it was introduced.

The way forward for the taxi industry is to go back to a 1 car 1 driver model and banish all the people taking a cut out of the industry.

However, there are too many vested interests.
With your experience in the industry you can offer solutions and 1 driver 1 car seems like a good one - someone who would take pride in their business and deliver quality service .
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Regulation is needed in all industries to make them work properly and safely, but from what I have heard is taxi drivers are being charged absolutely huge amounts of money for things that should be a fraction of the price.

I thought Uber was trying to make it's services legal without having to force it's drivers to pay 10's of thousands of dollars a year for the privilege of working.

I have also had some pretty terrible Taxi drivers over the last few years.
Last one couldn't drive for **** and had to ask me how to get from Newcastle CBD to Newcastle's biggest hospital. FFS surely they are pretty popular taxi spots and Newcastle isn't exactly as big and complicated as Sydney.
I used to just say my suburb name back before 2010, but these days I have to tell them to go to the hospital and then I will tell them where to go from there, because most of them don't know my suburb or they get it confused with a different suburb which is 10km away
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, no. The taxi industry wants everybody to play by their rules and if the government can't make big money off it then it will be banned. This is the country we live in. I can and will always get a chauffeur driven VHA/VHB car before a cab at night and they're always washed, detailed and fresh and driven by normal people. Can also always agree on a price to match or beat a taxi with them on the phone. They're not busy at night and always ready to pick you up! Find a few good drivers and keep their numbers.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #16
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Ah good old Victoria, still unsure how we achieved most livable city.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #17
tonys6550

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Give it time and Uber will eventually succeed. The taxi industry had this coming and I feel no sympathy for them whatsoever. For years we have put up with filthy unmaintained cabs, clueless drivers who cannot speak English, don't know where they're going and reek of BO, drivers that try sneaky tactics to increase fares, drivers refusing short fares.... the list goes on.
I wish Uber every success and I'm sure they will eventually prevail once this clueless and idiotic Victorian state government is thrown out of office.
This. 👍

If nothing else, it will clean up the abhorrent industry in my opinion.
Besides, a little competition is good for consumerism. Bring it on Uber!
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Are these uber cars registered as hire cars and pay insurance for paying passengers accordingly?

Or are they privately registered, which is where I can see a problem?
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #19
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IIRC, Uber corporation provide the insurance on behalf of the driver.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #20
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
IIRC, Uber corporation provide the insurance on behalf of the driver.
I wonder how an insurance claim can be lodged against something which is illegal and shouldn't be providing its service in the first place?
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #21
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I wonder how an insurance claim can be lodged against something which is illegal and shouldn't be providing its service in the first place?

It was reported recently in the media that the Premier of NSW is talking about the possibility of allowing Uber to operate.

Quote:
‘Inevitable’: Uber set to be legalised in NSW, according to report

23 November, 2015

THE NSW opposition leader has said the Government has waited far too long to regulate ride sharing services amid reports UberX is set to be legalised in the state.

However, NSW Premier Mike Baird has said an announcement will only be made on ride sharing once Cabinet has considered an independent report on technological changes in the industry.

The NSW Taxi Council said proposals to regulate ride sharing services were “premature”.

Changes to the taxi industry allowing the controversial car sharing service will be formally announced by the state government later on Monday, the Daily Telegraph reported.

Under the changes, UberX drivers will be required to pay a licence fee while taxi drivers will receive compensation for losing exclusivity.

The change was seen as “inevitable”, a Government source was quoted as saying.

If NSW does give the green light to ride sharing, it will follow the ACT which last month became the first Australian government to legalise and regulate ride sharing with the online transport business.

UberX, where private car owners offer rides to the public, is distinct to the standard — and legal — Uber service that connects established taxi drivers to passengers by way of an app.

In the capital, ride sharing vehicles and drivers have to be accredited and registered with attention paid to criminal records, driving histories and five-year health assessments.

Vehicles must also pass safety checks and be fully insured with compulsory third-party and property insurance requirements. UberX drivers are not able to pick up passengers on Canberra’s streets, nor are they allowed to pick up from taxi ranks.

Similar to the ACT, under the changes flagged in NSW, UberX drivers will be forced to undergo more safety checks and pay licence fees, the Telegraph reports.

But this morning, Premier Baird tried to hose down speculation an announcement was imminent. He told 2GB Radio that an independent report into ride sharing had been commissioned “but it is yet to go beyond that, so obviously that report will be considered as part of the due process of government and go to cabinet in good time.”

NSW opposition leader, Luke Foley, said the Government had hoped Uber would go away but “it was never going to work”.

“The Government has waved the white flag today and has recognised Uber is here to stay,” he said this morning.

“We ought to be smart about how we regulate [ride sharing] and I welcome that belated recognition from the Government there’s no other way forward.”

Greens NSW MP and transport spokeswoman Dr Mehreen Faruqi welcomed reports Uber would be legalised and said the NSW Government had “finally gotten with the times”.

“You can’t just ban these services out of existence, and to be frank, the legal limbo has gone on for too long already,” she said.

“Provided that stakeholders have been consulted widely, including taxi drivers, the proper safety checks are in place, and licences awarded only to appropriate services, this is good news.”

The NSW Taxi Council has been running a campaign called ‘ride sharing — it’s not worth the risk’ highlighting what it says are the dangers of using the unregulated services.

In a statement, the peak body for the state’s taxi industry said they had sought “urgent clarification” on the reports which appeared to be “premature to a proper Government announcement on this complex and critical issue”.

“The NSW Taxi Council is not opposed to well-considered reform of the NSW taxi industry and the point to point transport sector generally,” said the statement. “However, any such reform must ensure safe, reliable and quality taxi transport services through a proper and enforceable level playing field for all point to point transport operators.”

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...39fdca7db35a78

Which brings me to my question – how many States is it actually illegal in or is it currently operating in a grey unregulated area?
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #22
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
UberX effect: price of NSW taxi licence plates crashes by a quarter in a month

Date December 2, 2015

Matt O'Sullivan
Transport Reporter

The price of taxi licence plates in NSW has crashed by almost a quarter in the past month amid speculation the Baird government will legalise ride-sharing services such as UberX.

The transfer value of a taxi licence in the state dropped to $228,500 in November, down from an average price of $302,666 a month earlier, the latest government figures show.

While the value of plates has been falling since reaching a high of about $425,000 in late 2011 – due partly to the issuing of more licences – the decline has accelerated over the past year as Uber extended its reach into the market.

Since November last year, the value of taxi plates has fallen by 38 per cent and is now at its lowest level since January 2002.

Taxi licence owners Theodora and Peter Sorras said the slump was upsetting because they had bought a plate for $370,000 two years ago from the government in good faith.

When they bought the taxi licence, the Bankstown couple saw it as a long-term investment that would aid their retirement.

"It's really upsetting to see someone working hard and doing all of the right things," Mrs Sorras said. "It is quite a large upfront sum of money just to start the business and many people put their homes up as collateral to purchase it."

She blamed the entry of Uber to the market for much of the decline in the value of plates.

Cabinet is shortly due to consider recommendations from an independent report on ride-sharing, which is widely expected to result in the Baird government legalising UberX.

The most recent figures from the smartphone-based ride-sharing service show it has more than 330,000 users and about 4000 drivers in NSW, the vast majority of whom are in Sydney.

NSW Taxi Council chief executive Roy Wakelin-King said the latest statistics on the fall in value of licence plates were a "real concern" and the peak group was seeking clarification from Transport for NSW about how they were compiled.

"We are not sure of their statistical reliability but there is significant uncertainty out there and it's unclear what the future looks like," he said.

Mr Wakelin-King said uncertainty in the market about "illegal ride-sharing" and recent media speculation about whether the government would legalise UberX had "not been helpful".

The taxi council wants the government to resolve the status of ride-sharing expeditiously but "not with undue haste".

Mr Wakelin-King said the council wanted the government to compensate licence owners if minimum industry standards were changed and ride-sharing services such as UberX legalised. Other industries such as dairying had received assistance when major adjustments had been thrust upon them.

Premier Mike Baird has said the government wants a "level playing field" for taxi drivers who made a significant upfront investment when they bought licence plates

The state's pricing regulator advised the government late last year to freeze taxi fares and keep taxi licence numbers steady in Sydney due to increasing competition from hire cars and ride-sharing services. Its rationale has been that increasing fares will only encourage more passengers to choose alternative transport more often, eroding the competitiveness of taxis.

Since 2009, the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal has been eager for short-term licences to be issued in Sydney in a bid to reduce the cost of catching a cab and the cost of plates.

"The most significant contributor [to the fall in licence values] prior to the arrival of ride-sharing has been the number of licences released onto the road largely due to IPART's recommendations," Mr Wakelin-King said. "That has led to an oversupply of taxis in Sydney."

NSW has almost 7100 taxi plates, about 5700 of which are in Sydney. According to IPART, about 70 per cent of taxi operators do not own a taxi licence but pay lease fees to the owner, or hold an annual taxi licence.

Opposition Leader Luke Foley has called for owners of taxi licence plates to be paid some form of compensation if the government decides to legalise ride-sharing.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/uberx-effe...02-gldcs3.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #23
dead_man00124

and they are privately registered,

Ubers insurance kicks in if the persons own insurance company doesnt come to the party, however iirc NRMA will cover a driver if its not there primary job.
dead_man00124 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #24
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_man00124 View Post
and they are privately registered,

Ubers insurance kicks in if the persons own insurance company doesnt come to the party, however iirc NRMA will cover a driver if its not there primary job.
How about TAC insurance if a passenger is injured in an accident, considering the vehicle was privately registered?

And being privately registered would be a sticking point with Vicroads.

Easy to see the legal problems, here in Vic anyway.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #25
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
How about TAC insurance if a passenger is injured in an accident, considering the vehicle was privately registered?

And being privately registered would be a sticking point with Vicroads.

Easy to see the legal problems, here in Vic anyway.
Car is registered, If you are in accident TAC will still apply.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can understand why the taxi industry is upset with rise of Uber.

Taxi drivers often work unsociable hours, deal with unreasonable people for not a lot of money when basically anyone with a smart phone can drive people around without all the regulatory burden and associated costs which is what eats into what the driver takes home.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #27
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Uber are going ballistic in the ACT. The taxi industry has well and truly been placed on notice.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #28
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Capitalism vs socialism.

I know which side I'm on.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #29
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to know how taxis should be, read The Knowledge or watch the movie of the same name about getting a lic for a London taxi. Some try for 7 years and still fail.

Last edited by sprintman1; 04-12-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #30
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Uber X is illegal in all states of Australia except the ACT.
There it is regulated, not as much as a taxi but enough so that people treat it a serious business not just a fad. It does have correct registration and insurance.

Illegal Uber X drivers have NO insurance, if you are inside the car and you get injured or even if you are hit by one driving past. You cannot get insurance for an illegal act. Same as drink driving.
Nobody has seen Uber's fabled coverage...it has been tested many times overseas and for some reason they always settle out of court.

EVERYBODIES insurance and rego will go up as accident rates rise.

Most of their drivers get jack of it as soon as the first major expense ie accident or breakdown occurs or just get a real job eventually. So you are forever getting new drivers who have no experience. In most overseas cities Uber drivers are forming unions and demanding higher fares and better conditions.

Uber drivers can be 0.049...taxi drivers must be 0.00.
There are no medical checks, limited background checks or limits on the hours they drive.

They don't have to pick people up who are disabled, or live a long way out of town, there are no minimum service standards, no way to complain (except facebook), or get back lost property. Remember one day you will get old and need the help of a taxi driver with your groceries and bags.

The government is not doing anything about it as they know they will have to pay compensation to the existing owners if an unregulated uber is allowed.

Sure Taxis are not perfect, no business is... but most other businesses abide by the law, pay taxes and spend money in the local area, get the correct licenses and permits that are required by government for YOUR safety. I would happily not pay all the additional expenses I MUST PAY by LAWS voted in by YOU, the PUBLIC for YOUR SAFETY and in return drop prices by 30%...except in the time when people actually want transport...then I will SURGE price 500% as YOU, THE PUBLIC wanted more cars.
This is what uber does and the public approve it??

Be careful what you wish for if the big bad taxi monopoly is destroyed...(and replaced with a bigger, badder OVERSEAS monopoly)
Just see how much actual service you get from uber outside of the busy CBD areas.

For the other side of the coin see the facebook page "You've Been Ubered"

And as most of you know I am in the taxi business as are many others on this forum.

Use it at your own risk....
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post