Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default MP3 player for the Ford

Hey all,

Being mid 30's I am a bit behind the 8 ball in my knowledge of MP3 players. I want to get one for the BA, and I have the Blenkin car adaptor sorted, but need an actual unit. Thing is I have no idea waht the "go" is. I understand the bigger Hard drive types could/will wear out in time, but what is everyone getting. Is IPOD all that it is cracked up to be?

Your suggestions on what you have found would be greatly appreciated, and save me getting on e-bay and buying the first shiny thing I see.

cheers.

Old 19-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Forget the I-Pods, they're a waste of money. So they hold 40Gb of songs - big deal, you'll never need it.

As for which MP3 player isn't a rip off, I would go for a absolute minimum of 256MB (about 50 songs give or take). If you can get a 512MB for a decent price, go for it.

Look for a big display (3 or 4 lines) and big buttons if you're going to be using it in the car.

Panda
Old 19-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
BuuBox

Flash memory, like the ones used in the lower capacity MP3 players have a limited number of read/write cycles before they're unusable. A hard drive on the other hand, will last many times longer, unless it's being jolted and bounced constantly.... don't think you'll be 4x4'ing in the GT!

I'd probably go for a lower capacity iRiver HDD based model in your case, especially since that means you don't have to put up with iTunes and it's associated horrors, but with a color screen and 40gig example only a little bit more, don't think I could resist... With the iRiver, as far as I know, you can just drag and drop any music files including OGG into the drive, and go. The iPod's a fair bit more restrictive as far as I know, especially in regards to DRM and all that annoying stuff.

http://www.iriver.com

Really though, you aren't going to go too far wrong with any model you buy.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
XRated
Shoot.

What is all this drivel I constantly hear about the iPod not being what it's all cracked up to be? After owning one I am sure it's a different story for many. I have the 4Gb version and constantly find it hard to choose which albums I want on there, and which ones I will sacrifice.

Reliable, sturdy, lots of aftermarket support, you can't really go wrong. Alpine and Pioneer both offer special adapters for their headunits so you can control all the iPod features on the head unit. Nifty, but expensive.

There are plenty of other quality MP3 players (and more cheap and nasty ones). How much do you want to spend? What features are you after? How many songs do you want it to store? You could always get a headunit that can read MP3s from a CD..

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

If you've got the premium sound and colour LCD screen, get yourself one of these and you won't look back. Just add a notebook hard drive ($238 for 100G), get the signal splicer so you can feed video signals to the screen, plug audio output to the sound system, and shazzam - MP3, AVI, MPG, DivX, XVid, JPG, blah blah the list goes on. Great device - my friend with an XR6T and premo sound has this arrangement and it's fantastic.

http://www.mrgadget.com.au/catalog/a...yer-p-547.html