Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 
Default ACA Poll - Should hoon drivers have their cars taken off them?

See http://www.aca.ninemsn.com.au/

Check out the Poll and VOTE

Drink Drivers should have their cars taken off them as well IMO

I would love to put a GPS tracking Device on Grimshaws Car and see if she ever goes over the speed limit - HOON

Yes is at 818
No is at 2294

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 10-07-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ACA Poll - Should hoon drivers have their cars taken off them?

Did you check out the poll at the bottom - should hoon have their cars taken off them: 818 Yes, and 2297 No
Wonder if they will quote that stat in their next anti-hoon rubbish article
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
tweeked
N/A all the way

Voted no- get on board everyone!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
BHDOGS
Banned

Drunks do have there cars taken away and there licence if there over the limit to a certain degree
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

People still watch ACA and Today Tonight ??????
Old 10-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

They need to be more precise and define what is a hoon before I vote.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
That is the exact issue - they haven't so vote NO

Everyone with a modded car is a Hoon according to ACA - no ifs or buts

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted

Well no, my opinion and I am only going on by what I seen on ACA last night (and previously) is the RBT where ACA was reporting alongside the police and from what I seen most of the car's they targeted deserved to be of the road.

I think we as car enthusiasts are getting to hung up on the word "Hoon" in social media and some are taking offense to it.

In realty every segment I have seen on ACA regarding the title "Hoon" has been on driver's that are exactly just that Hoon's.

So I will not vote no, cause that would mean I would be going agaisnt my belief on not only the vehicles but the driver's that I believe should not be on our road's.
Old 13-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted

But I just changed the air filter to a washable one, from the original paper element. OH MY god no!!!!!! I'm a hoon :(
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
gcmc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Exactly - and that's what bothers me about the police too. Accelerating just half briskly from an intersection could have a slow thinking or unfair cop accusing you of hooning.

However, if the police are properly educated and honest they can easily identify the real pests.

These are the ones who drive like absolute idiots and it's because of them that anyone in anything the police percieve as a performance car ( particularly anything modified ) is automatically a suspect.

It is clearly prejudice of course. Exactly the same applies to ALL motorcyclists.

I was virtually harassed by a motorcycle copper who came up beside me and inside my lane when I was cruising along at the speed limit on Queen street, Campbelltown. I ignored him completely - didn't even look at him but he occupied my entire left mirror and it was a dangerous act in itself.

So that's what concerns me. It is a sign of poor character for any police officer to behave that way and they should be able to rise above it, but even otherwise good cops can't seem to.

On the news today a cop was sentenced after being caught 48 KPH over the speed limit while he was taking Jimmy Barnes to a concert he was late for.

They've taken his police car away ! If this law was honestly applied it would be his own car that would be confiscated.

I wonder what charges he faced ? It would be dangerous driving for anyone else. I think that's a crime so would that mean the end of his carreer ?

I don't agree with the arbitrary confiscation of people's property. It's simply legalised theft.

They should face whatever penalties apply, but the government should limit their unjustifiable theft to their pay rises. They should not steal people's cars.

Most outragous of all is when they confiscate a car that belongs to someone other than the driver.

I think the first one that sues them for that might smarten them up a bit.

I actually believe that a challenge to the whole process of legislated car theft is likely to be defeated in any group action.
gcmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Kryton

The shows target audience - idiots.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Just pathetic. This is exactly what that other thread was talking about. These drivers weren't necessarily doing anything wrong. They just got picked on for having a modified car. Though, I will admit there were a couple there that did deserve it but the majority of them were just unfair.
Kable72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, probably doesn't matter if they're anything like the crapbuckets they parade on the TV and in newspapers in impound yards, go right ahead...rusty old Commodores and Falcons, ratty four wheel drives, old Hyundais and Hondas with no visible "modifications"...all "hoon cars" apparently. Funnily enough you never see one nicely modded Skyline, WRX, Silvia, or whatever there...just old junkers that some idiot has been driving recklessly.

Yes, you see those sort of cars getting defected, but the majority of the time they're not being driven stupidly as they attract far too much attention.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I might also add that I live in the Hoon capital of Australia according to all report's.
From what I see around here is that I would be only to happy to have alot of driver's of the road by witnessing their action's on the road 1'st hand.

If I had the power to do so then I would because I have a young family and the last thing I want is for one of these idiot's to ruin my life and then have no remorse what so ever about their own action's.

But I would have to live with the fact that some Hoon is still on the road, some people might think I am going overboard but truth be known that accident's do and can happen in the blink of an eye.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I see a Honda Civic with a 6 inch canon, no clearance over the 18 inch front wheels (can't put my fingers between the tyre and guard) and sounding like a cow farting, driver wearing baseball cap sideways or backward and 5 of his mates jammed in the car with him plus talking on the phone at 85kph in a school zone, is that driver a hoon? I vote yes, take his car and scrap/crush it
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
If I see a Honda Civic with a 6 inch canon, no clearance over the 18 inch front wheels (can't put my fingers between the tyre and guard) and sounding like a cow farting, driver wearing baseball cap sideways or backward and 5 of his mates jammed in the car with him plus talking on the phone at 85kph in a school zone, is that driver a hoon? I vote yes, take his car and scrap/crush it
Funny, in the other thread, that would be an enthusiast who's being unfairly targeted.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #17
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Sorry folks. This started like being a good thread - but it looks like it going to hell in a haybasket! Yet again - IMHO.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree that the car you describe is a POS, and you have stereo typed a certain person, and speeding in a school zone and on a mobile is wrong. But I think "hoon" is the wrong description for a person like this. I also think that crushing a car is wrong, as maybe TAFE students could repair them, bring them back to a safe standard, and give the cars to some who are less fortunate. This is providing the cars are not too far gone.
But I will vote No, it is too diverse.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought I was stereotyping a hoon. If I was not, what then, is a hoon? I also thought that when the mods on a car are mostly illegal then is the driver/owner not some sort of hoon? Not withstand the admissions of some of the members on this forum. Especially if the mods are to make the car go faster. Is not the maximum speed limit in every state of australia 110kph? NT being a territory. But who cares how fast they go as long as they are enjoying themselves. I also have known some TAFE students who were by any definition "hoons" having used their experience at TAFE to modify their cars. Arhh, just go for it. I just hope I am not on the road when they are...
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought I was stereotyping a hoon. If I was not, what then, is a hoon? I also thought that when the mods on a car are mostly illegal then is the driver/owner not some sort of hoon? Not withstand the admissions of some of the members on this forum. Especially if the mods are to make the car go faster. Is not the maximum speed limit in every state of australia 110kph? NT being a territory. But who cares how fast they go as long as they are enjoying themselves. I also have known some TAFE students who were by any definition "hoons" having used their experience at TAFE to modify their cars. Arhh, just go for it. I just hope I am not on the road when they are...
Well I would rather refer to them as a dropkick, as "hoon" usually covers car enthusiasts in ACA's eyes. And you can not label everyone at TAFE a "hoon", and as I am sure a lecturer would be overseeing all work, I don't think you would have too much too worry about? And I also stated that they could repair the car and give it to someone who is less fortunate! But it is obvious that you work for ACA and are narrow minded. Why can you not see things in a positive manner? I was not attacking you, just offering a different perspective, if that is alright with you?
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #21
veqlargh

Quote:
The question is, is the modified car the makes the hoon, or the action of the driver. and if so what modifications or actions then go towards deeming someone a hoon.

im not going to say i don't ever hoon around at all but simply having a car thats to low or to loud should necessarily mean someone is a dangerous driver.

the whole situation is so subjective to opinions.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
Killaxb
VN2DY4

**** aca an tt. And most on all tracey grimshaw the filthy **** of a thing
Killaxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaxb
**** aca an tt. And most on all tracey grimshaw the filthy **** of a thing

Best post of the thread.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #24
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"hoon" a nice little label, but does not specify behavior, so it makes it tough to enforce by law. Though I'm sure it fulfils its purpose and gets people emotionally involved with the show enough to blog about it.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #25
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I am hoon in the broad terms, and no, the establishment may not take my motor car.

It makes loud noises, is motivated by a "high performance v8 power plant", it has a race inspired rear wing, and shiny paint, straight bodywork with looks lower slung than a Toyota Prado. Obviously owned by a hoonigan thinly disguised as an "enthusiast". Totally lacking respect for the law, flagrant disregard to society in general.

In the world by davway, it would be, should be confiscated.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

I voted 'No'.
Why? Well I drive modified cars which I drive sedately.
Yeh, Mr Joe Public sees it and assumes that I am a hoon.
I suppose it's like seeing a man with a gun and assuming he's a murderer!
There is no way I will let my car be crushed just becasue it is modified.

Now, if 'Hoon' was accurately defined as someone who is caught driving dangerously, then I would change my vote to 'Yes'.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
BHDOGS
Banned

Hooning is the actions the car is taking not the standards of the car itself that would be modifications wether legal or illegal it's not hard to understand
Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #28
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Disagree.

A current affair types stereo type a car, judge it's appearance and make an assessment of its "usage" based on that. If it looks modified, sounds modified, is modified, it's a hoons car. It's quite simple.

The analogy made that a man with a gun is a murderer isnt too far off the money.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #29
BHDOGS
Banned

Every human stereotypes it's in our nature you can't critise someone just because you believe there views are invalid because they don't match your own like I said you drive around on a harly with black jackets and a big beard people arnt gonna assume your a preacher people are ********* that's life
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I am a hoon, have been since I got my first bicycle, roller skates, then moved on to muddaboikes and cars. It is in my blood and is a passion that I don't believe I will ever grow out of.

Do I mess around in shopping centre car parks and suburban streets, no.

Why don't all the holier than thou types just give up pretending to be interested in cars, go buy a Prius and ride a pushbike to work. Just go the whole hog to being a sheep consumer of general whitegoods while sitting on your pedestal decrying anyone who wants to drive anything a bit out of the ordinary and thus deserving to have their cars crushed. Where does it end, if the wowsers get their way you even look like you might be about to have some fun in a car and they will have the right to crush it... Thin end of the wedge.... No trial, guilty until proven innocent, which they make virtually impossible... And people can't see how wrong this is.....?

Last edited by mcnews; 11-07-2012 at 08:49 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post