Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Baby bolts a roadworthy requirement?

My mate just got his car put in for a RWC and they said that they needed to fit baby bolts because his had been removed. (They're the things on the parcel shelf with the orange tab).

Is this actual a roadworthy requirement here in Victoria?

It just seems a bit stupid to us.

Old 17-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

No, it isnt unless its a late model car that came factory with them but even then im pretty sure it only has to have provision for them, other wise i know things like my XE and XF Dont have them, they have the provision for them

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Yes, if they came from factory, you have to keep them.
It dosent take much to change the parcel shelf...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Yes, if they came from factory, you have to keep them.
It dosent take much to change the parcel shelf...
It's going to take a bit of welding according to the mechanic.

He has 2 subs sitting in there so it has to be modded for the baby bolts.
Old 17-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR

yep, you go ahead and mod that parcel shelf.
see what the Engineers is going to cost you.
no doubt, if he has 2 subs in the parcel shelf already, he's up for an Engineers as it is.

this is yet another reason why you think about the LEGAL REQUIREMENT before you think about how cool youll be to your mates.
(not YOU, but your mate)
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
yep, you go ahead and mod that parcel shelf.
see what the Engineers is going to cost you.
no doubt, if he has 2 subs in the parcel shelf already, he's up for an Engineers as it is.

this is yet another reason why you think about the LEGAL REQUIREMENT before you think about how cool youll be to your mates.
(not YOU, but your mate)
Yeah he's an anti ford Holden lover.

He used to have a VL that was a bomb and I was hoping he'd learn his lesson from that car but instead he downgraded to the terrible 3.8 (however it's the best 3.8 I've ever seen). All because he hates the exterior look of E series which imo is stupid.

****es me off that he's so one eyed but he's my mate and I'm still going to help him get this car on the road.

Most the work has been done it's just these things.

Oh another biggie, the rear main seal is gone which will probably cost a grand or so.
Old 19-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Well, he's a clown for putting subs in the parcel shelf then... Who needs SQ?
As has been said, It's a structral part of the car, and it will cost him a fortune now... Simple.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Well, he's a clown for putting subs in the parcel shelf then... Who needs SQ?
As has been said, It's a structral part of the car, and it will cost him a fortune now... Simple.
He bought it like that.

Repco wanted $750 for a rear main seal so he got his car out of there (The mechanic was a as well). Rang up another mechanic and he's doing the seal for $300, the shelf however is unknown at this point
Old 20-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
He bought it like that.
How long ago did he buy it?
He would have got a RWC with it when he purchased it to allow him to transfer it into his name. The place that issued the dodgy RWC may have some questions to answer and possibly have to foot the bill to make it comply as well.
Old 17-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at work as long as its got the bolt hole still visable or if its something newer and its just got like a clip welded on, it passes, i did a roady check on a VH commodore today and it just had 2 hole in the middle of the parcel tray with thread were it was spose to be and they passed it,

Daniel351

THE Daily
1994 Ford Falcon ED XR6 Manual
Daniel351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BA's come with one hole fitted with a restraint clip and the other two filed with plastic plugs. I would be surprised if you were not required to have one bolt and clip fitted for rego.
Regards,
Tote
Old 17-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
Kryton

i dont get the whole thread.
you/your mate were told to put these bolts back in to pass a RWC, just do as your told and be done with it.
who knows better, you or a LICENSED TESTER that is going to pass the car if you put one measly bolt back in.
seriously, some of the threads you make.
Old 17-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
i dont get the whole thread.
you/your mate were told to put these bolts back in to pass a RWC, just do as your told and be done with it.
who knows better, you or a LICENSED TESTER that is going to pass the car if you put one measly bolt back in.
seriously, some of the threads you make.
Licensed tester means nothing, these people will find anyway to get more money out of you.

If you read the thread more accurately you'd see that there are subs in the rear parcel shelf and apparently according to the mechanic (Repco) he needs to make some welding modifications that is going to cost more than just a couple of bolts.

If it was a matter of putting a few bolts in, this thread wouldn't be made, also if vicroads customer service was competent and able to answer this question this thread wouldn't exist. I do my homework before making threads to avoid getting constantly trolled.

I know this forum has many members who do this work for a living so I thought it would be acceptable to ask this.
Old 18-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #14
Kryton

Quote:
Licensed tester means nothing, these people will find anyway to get more money out of you.
a licensed tester means they know more than you do.
they know the LAW - you do not.

Quote:
If you read the thread more accurately you'd see that there are subs in the rear parcel shelf and apparently according to the mechanic (Repco) he needs to make some welding modifications that is going to cost more than just a couple of bolts.
if you read what I wrote, you would understand this car is NEVER going to get a legit RWC without an Engineers.
to be told you need to make some welding mods, means you need to weld in some BRACES for the giant holes that have been cut into the parcel shelf for the subs.
if you didnt know, the parcel shelf is a MAJOR STRUCTURAL part of the body.
ANY cutting of this section will weaken the WHOLE structure.
some simple welding wont cut it, it needs to be checked and assessed by an ENGINEER to make sure the car is SAFE in the event of a crash.
forget insurance too when its time to pay out.

Quote:
If it was a matter of putting a few bolts in, this thread wouldn't be made, also if vicroads customer service was competent and able to answer this question this thread wouldn't exist. I do my homework before making threads to avoid getting constantly trolled.
do your home work a little better next time.
at least have some idea about what your talking about.
Vicroads probably have answered the question, you just didnt like the answer.

Quote:
I know this forum has many members who do this work for a living so I thought it would be acceptable to ask this.
no, i have no idea, i only studied Engineering for 2 years.
why dont you actually ring an Engineer and let them tell you exactly what i have just told you.
Old 17-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

No, it is not a rego requirement. If you're still not sure, check Vicroads.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #16
Kryton

not to mention that the hole for the bolt has probably been chopped out as well to make room for the subs.
personally, this little hole is the least of his worries.
Old 18-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the issue is not the bolt it is removal of the section of the parcel shelf where the threaded section for the bolt was located. the car was engineered with this inplace and it is considered the same as the removal of a seatbelt. you may say I have no kids so it shouldn't apply to me but consider the next owner of the car who tries to fit a child restraint to the factory location . they discover they are unable to transport their newborn because your doof doof was more important . the car in question is unroadworthy and to correct the butchered parcel shelf to a safe legal state will be expensive build a bridge

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

I put this small Pdf link up elsewhere in forum - Feb 08, new child restraint law/requirements etc - worth a look and relates generally to the topic:-

http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=41043
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #19
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Last year my work mate purchased a Nissan Navara twin cab Ute, he wanted 2 bolts put in for the baby seats cost $800 had to be engineered, yes $400 a bolt..
This is needed for the car to be legal to carry those baby seats..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Last year my work mate purchased a Nissan Navara twin cab Ute, he wanted 2 bolts put in for the baby seats cost $800 had to be engineered, yes $400 a bolt..
and that was on a standard vehicle factor in the butchered parcel shelf and the associated loss of structural integrity and the cost will shoot up

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 18-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #21
Kil4Collingwood

A freind of mine has an ED falcon the cops pulled him over one day and were determined to give him a canary after finding nothing obviously wrong they started looking real close and found he had actually cut the holes in his parcel shelf just to fit some 6x9's and canaried him for it.
He had to have a whole new parcel shelf welded in cost a fortune it was just a stupid mistake to make but the number of cars I see with this done staggers me.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #22
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan

That's strange, my Navara has 3 factory baby capsule mounting points. :
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #23
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
That's strange, my Navara has 3 factory baby capsule mounting points. :
We just returned from a week in Palm Cove, where I had booked a Nissan Patrol from AVIS (Cairns Airport) and can you believe the Patrols have only two anchor points! The rear seat is a 50/50 and could only accomodate 2 child restraints, we needed three, so they changed me into a Pajero VRX turbo diesel.
Old 18-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

RWC rules can be a pain in the buttocks, but they are there for a reason - if the car comes with a safety feature factory fitted that doesn't work or isn't there, you have the right to have your car fail the RWC test, however insignificant that may be to you, me or the guy testing it.

We had a Saab with lots of electric toys, including headlamp windscreen wipers. One of them was non functional, and it failed a RWC test. Why? Because it's a factory fitted safety item and therefore it should work. I argued my case with the guy conducting said RWC, using the obvious "well, not all cars have these are they manage to get around fine in the dark when it's raining... can't you overlook this one?" and of course we agreed that it's a stupid failing point but he still couldn't pass it because if he did, he'd risk copping a hefty fine.

We traded the car in shortly afterwards because you don't want to know what it would've cost to fix... Live and learn.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #25
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some imported cars have these fitted for compliance..... in the speaker grills.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #26
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW you don't have to have a pink slip (road worthy)to transfer. the regs say you do but the RTA don't enforce it and private cars change hands all the tyime with no pink slip. but we have one every year to register the car

Rides: