Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default I hate my car, I think? Help please. :(

Well, this car seems to be a neverending problem child. If I had the finances to do so I would get rid of it, but as I can't, I'll have to try and fix it.

I'm bordering on deciding to simply replace the engine with a second hand one as it's got various problem likely to cost more to fix than ditching the peice of crap engine altogether.

1. Oil leaking from front passenger corner of the head gasket.
2. Problem as per the video at the bottom of this post.
3. Rattle coming from around the bell housing (I guess this might bloody well be box related : )
4. Rattle/tapping coming from the head somewhere around cyls 5 and 6.
5. Knocking sound most noticeable when cold. Sometimes able to hear it once warmed up.
6. I *think* it's had a drop in power in recent weeks.
7. Steering is starting to feel a bit stiff. PS return line popped off dumping the fluid, so I turned around and drove the 1km home. Has that killed it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoN9W_G_ZHw

I'll probably have more to add when I remember it all.. After what it has had done since I bought it in October (thread here somewhere), any more issues and it's really starting to taste zesty.

Should I replace the engine? If so, where is the best place to get one? (im on the sunshine coast).. Any reccomeneded mechanics?

Thanks in advance. :

Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

I hear ya brother!!! .. we should make a club
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

New engine might have to be looked at unfortunatly...
Old 05-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

well mate i have been in the same sitsuation with my el heres is the long list what went wront with mine at all about the same time within a few moths of each other
all this between 150 000 kms and 165 000

head gasket
harmonic balancer
power steering pump
air compressor slowly dieing
s5 solenoid in the transmission
oil leakes comming from the front at rear seals
coolant ****ing from the hoses after new hoses
and lots ofther little thing that i cant think of at the moment

but i thought i hated mine as well i have always have plans on selling my car but really nothing caught my eye in the price range

keep it the thing that go wrong my your car even more valuable to you if you know what i mean ;-)
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I do replace the engine.. How much am I looking at? I'm assuming $300-$500 for an engine.. What about labour and consumables etc? Any guesses as to total approximate cost?

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

well it depends on you ! do you want a tickford, do you want a stock, do you want a motor that has been stroked or do you want a v8 it depends on what you would like and the cost !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basic non VCT I6 mate.. Car is a family hack on mixer ring LPG. She's not for performance, just practicality.

Matt.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
Basic non VCT I6 mate.. Car is a family hack on mixer ring LPG. She's not for performance, just practicality.

Matt.
Taking into account the BBQ your helpers get and all the sandwiches and tea and choccy biscuits you should still get it done in a long day and under $600.00 including a motor.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

In times like these the wreckers are your firends.

The au engines go for around 500 dollars but maybe a vct is a bit more. Add installation and you should be motoring again.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got one mate who can help out.. He's an apprentice mech (3-4 months in) at BMW. He can get the use of an engine crane and what not.. Now, I just need to find a couple more friends. :(:p

Any guesses as to how much I'd be paying to have a workshop do the labour?

Matt.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I've got one mate who can help out.. He's an apprentice mech (3-4 months in) at BMW. He can get the use of an engine crane and what not.. Now, I just need to find a couple more friends. :(:p

Any guesses as to how much I'd be paying to have a workshop do the labour?

Matt.
A guy on this forum selling engines in QLD.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11229497

My mate dave charges $350 for an engine install. A workshop would be lots more. You could call Repco or your local HPM engine shop. Tell them you'll supply the engine and just want them to do the install.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man..... how many ks has it done? mines done 250k orig eng/box still going strong

The noise in the bellhousing will still be there if you replace just the engine it may just be the inspection cover loose/exhaust heat sheild cracked or loose,as for the leak,reseal tighten the F@#$ out of all the timming cover bolts,the knocking noise on start up,mine does this when its freezing cold,Ive put it down to the crank splashing the oil in the sump,the noise from the intake, turn the gas off take off the induction tube from the throtle body all the way to the air filter box,run it on fuel
(does it still make the noise?).It could be the gas solinoid.

The tapping noise ( i couldnt hear it in the video) but could be a noisey injector or a niosy lifter either wont set you back more than a $100 to fix.
As for your power problem,Have you reset the computer and clean the plugs see how that goes,change the leads(ebay genuine FORD for $42,I bought another set last night) , then change the 02 sensor
Save your self the $$$$$$$$$$ Attack one problem at a time and fix it.

I was going to replace my engine an box as well not long ago ($950 both 70ks),but decided to let it explode on the side of the road if its going to go before I replace them just for a laugh

PS:
I looked at your video and it looks pretty tidy under the bonnet it doesnt appear to have had a hard life,all cars have minor probs from time to time sort them out and save some dollars for beer or what ever tickles your fancy....
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #13
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

matts all sorted for now, have him coming into our workshop for a look-see and diagnose problems and solutions....i'll hopefully get him out of this as cheap as possible

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
matts all sorted for now, have him coming into our workshop for a look-see and diagnose problems and solutions....i'll hopefully get him out of this as cheap as possible
Great work! That's the AU spirit!

Hope it all works out really well for him, he's had a bad run with that car.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:39 AM   #15
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

funnily enough, although it was playing up on matt on the way down to see me, it didnt play up once while i was looking at it: just a little bit hard to diagnose a problem when the problem doesnt want to be diagnosed!! being an intermittant problem...we can rule out burnt valves or sticky lifters. more then likely will be an electrical problem. ECU reset didnt work and problem is on both fuels. so its not LPG related. anyway, got matt to book her in so we can spend more time looking and chasing down the problem.....hopefully wont be anything to drastic. think we may have located the tapping noise at the back of the block.....possibly dodgey leads. with any luck a lead swap will fix this and as a bonus may stop the blow back down the intake. if this is the case, a set of ICE leads for $120 odd and matts a happy camper fingers crossed. as for the rattle at the bell housing, couldnt hear anything once again, but will see what happens when he comes back.

Quote:
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

Quote:
Snip
2. Problem as per the video at the bottom of this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoN9W_G_ZHw
OMG, if you are talking about the short sharp bursts of air I have the exact same issue.
I wasn't sure if it was normal or not but you can clearly hear it when the bonnet is down. Causes an irregular idle.
I think my ISC is shagged.
:(
Old 10-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, thats the one.. only does it sometimes. Hasn't done it since just before I saw au2sw with it and I just got back from a 350km~ round trip.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #18
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

Quote:
Yeah, thats the one.. only does it sometimes. Hasn't done it since just before I saw au2sw with it and I just got back from a 350km~ round trip.
Lol, same symptoms only happens sometimes.
I also have the oil leak you described. Had the chance to change the oil today and noticed the passenger side of the engine block was covered in oil at the front around the head gasket. Haven't checked if it's the pressure sensor yet, have to check tomorrow when there is more light. It has used about 1 litre of oil in 10,000 kms.
I wonder if au2sw will appreciate another au with similar symptons
Old 11-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #19
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

if you have the same symptoms as matt, when (and if) we find the problem, ill let you know the remedy and you may be able to sort it your self. as for the 1 ltr oil for 10,000 ks, thats fairly normal....dont worry about that. and it seems the oil weepage on the front left of the motor is pretty common as well.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #20
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as for the air noise, what happens if you remove the hose to the pcv valve and block it?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #21
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing.. Was actually the first thing I tried.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #22
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

OK well I can give you what I have tried so far with the rough idle/bursts of air.
Removed PCV Valve and blocked it.
Cleaned TB and ISC.
Replaced ISC gasket.
They all didn't work, however when I disconnected the ISC and adjusted the base idle so that it didn't stall I had no problems with the rough idle/bursts of air.
I left it disconnected for a month or so.
So I'm thinking that there is a problem with the ISC itself or a sensor that tells the ECU to operate the ISC. I don't have a spare ISC to test unfortunately.
About the oil, if it's normal thats fine. But is has only started doing it in the last 10,000 kms. That's what brought it to my attention. Normally it doesn't use any oil whatsoever.
I hope this helps a little in solving you cars woes.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #23
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok....that little black thing on the side of the isc has a filter type thing in. remove that cover with the motor running and try and block the inside part up and see if that makes any difference. if it does chances are the isc has had it
Old 11-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #24
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
ok....that little black thing on the side of the isc has a filter type thing in. remove that cover with the motor running and try and block the inside part up and see if that makes any difference. if it does chances are the isc has had it
Are you talking about the round black knob. If so I can't for the life of me get the little bugger off. : I hacked my thumb up trying to take it off. Should I try a little more force, ie pliers or something similar? :
Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #25
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

screwdriver in behind it maybe, mine came off quite easily...
Old 13-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #26
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Organising a reco engine from blackers10.. Hopefully that spells the end for my problems!

I was considering going through the diagnosis and repair route, but I can't bear to spend $100's on diagnosis only to find out that I need a new engine anyway.. Not to mention my head gasket will need doing, which will be dearer than this reco. heh

Matt.