Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should these things be allowed in built up areas, such as cities & suburbs?
Yes. 57 32.95%
No. 68 39.31%
If prime movers, tractors, etc. are allowed, so can these. 25 14.45%
Suburbs only. 3 1.73%
Who cares. 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Are high rise vehicles safe in built up areas?

Should these things be allowed in built up areas, such as cities & suburbs?

Imagine the damage of hitting or being hit by something that high, a side impact would be deadly.

Driving it feels like driving a cloud, it floats with the wind & road bumps; not dangerously so, but enough to make relaxed driving difficult. At 60km/h it feels like your doing 80, it has all the right type of gear underneath.

especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 21-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
BlackLS

Yes, but should require a special licence like any vehicle over 2ton and over a certain height need to take extra training to learn how to control such a pig

Old 21-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Yes, but should require a special licence like any vehicle over 2ton and over a certain height need to take extra training to learn how to control such a pig
So i need a special licence to drive my Territory ... because that's over 2-tonne.

But i do believe you should complete a test to allow you to tow though (many people are hopeless when it coems to towing something of substantial size.)

I agree ... an advanced driving course or 2 in knowing how to handle your vehicle is money well spent for everyone.
Old 21-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
So i need a special licence to drive my Territory ... because that's over 2-tonne.
Yes I think you should have one. How do we know that you are capable of drive one. In my opinion they should ban all 4WDs from the city and suburbs

Quote:
But i do believe you should complete a test to allow you to tow though (many people are hopeless when it comes to towing something of substantial size.)
Yes I agree with you 100% most people would not have a clue how to tow let alone back one with a trailer.

Quote:
I agree ... an advanced driving course or 2 in knowing how to handle your vehicle is money well spent for everyone.
The most sensible thing you have said. No i am not one of the 4WD bashes I use to own one but it was only for the weekends hunting and camping trips unlike most of them on the roads today. If i have to pay a stupid price to register my V8 every year then why shouldn't 4WD's pay extra
Old 21-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #5
BlackLS

Quote:

What I'm getting at is roll-over potential of the vehicle and the height of a frontal colision point ie if the front bar is in the window/head region should determine whether a special licence is needed.

A truck like in the image shown is pretty tall and the colision point is pretty much head height, or the chest of a pedestrian. Also if one was to wrench the steering wheel of that Toyota to avoid a rear ender, it would roll. The driver should need a special licence.

Whereas a Territory has a lower front bar, making it more safer to pedestrians and in the instance of a T bone accident would have a bit of protection from the side impact bars and side airbags. Also the territory is a more nimble car and is less likely to roll over.

Old 21-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
I would agree with this if it was changed from weight to height.

If we start using weight as an issue for special licences, it wouldn't be long before small car owners start saying the same thing about large cars like Falcon, Fairlane & LTD's.
After all there are more small cars sold than large.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 21-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
mustang

think about it for a second......why would u need a car that high in a city......do they feel that the streets of say melbourne are that bad that they need a big bad A$$ 4x4 to be safe..... not to mention that it prolly has illegal suspension hieghts.
Old 21-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang
think about it for a second......why would u need a car that high in a city......do they feel that the streets of say melbourne are that bad that they need a big bad A$$ 4x4 to be safe..... not to mention that it prolly has illegal suspension hieghts.
By the same thinking , why do we need some of our cars to be as low as they are ?????
I think you can have your car how you like and if you like it extreme , beware the law ! If I owned a 4X4 and did extreme 4wheel drive driving with it , does that mean I should have not be allowed inside the city limits! Its like the old west , where the Sheriff would take your smokewagon off you and return it as you left town again !
out:

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Old 21-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Mopar Man
By the same thinking , why do we need some of our cars to be as low as they are ?????
I think you can have your car how you like and if you like it extreme , beware the law ! If I owned a 4X4 and did extreme 4wheel drive driving with it , does that mean I should have not be allowed inside the city limits! Its like the old west , where the Sheriff would take your smokewagon off you and return it as you left town again !
out:
yes i agree not everyone needs to lower their car but why do u need a 4x4 in a town/city
Old 21-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #10
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
yes i agree not everyone needs to lower their car but why do u need a 4x4 in a town/city
Re read my post again !

While they might not need a 4X4 in town, why do some people feel the need to have a car sound system that can be heard in the next suburb , when they sit 3 feet from the speakers while driving said doof doof ?

People will spend the money they have on what they like , it will never change . I love drinking Bundy , but everyone tells me beer will do the job !
:baby bott

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Old 21-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #11
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is possibly another argument altogether but...

Why would you need to increase the ride hieght that much??

1) approach/departure angles:
Surely the approach/departure angles aren't that bad on this 4wd from factory? (know nothing about toyotas). In my experience (Jackaroo, Pajero, range rover, defender etc) the factory approach and departure angles were suffiecent however this is obviously a piontless argument as it depends on the condition of the track you are on!

2) clearance:
At the end of the day aren't the diffs and axles etc still the same height off the deck as before the mods?

Also the probability of rollover would be hugely increased after the mods.

I think that unless I am missing something these huge height increases overall are more for look at me purposes than anything else (Happy to hear thoughts on this!)!
It would be interesting to hear some serious 4wd peoples (don't know how we qualify this lol!!) oppinion on this - I'M SURE I WILL!!!!
Old 22-12-2005, 10:39 PM   #12
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
think about it for a second......why would u need a car that high in a city......do they feel that the streets of say Melbourne are that bad that they need a big bad A$$ 4x4 to be safe..... not to mention that it prolly has illegal suspension heights.
Well then think about this for a second.... The person that owns that car properly love extreme 4X4ing and would go out 4X4ing quite often. So because of his interest, and love of getting on the beaten track and heading out to the country for a weekend under the stars, he can not live in the city with such a vechile..... Or he could be a country bumpkin that has come into the big smoke to do some business......

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 18-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #13
shortie

Quote:

Think about it. Why do you need a veicle that do speeds of 170KMPh in a city.

Next your vehicle will be banned and we we all be driving scooters.

Old 21-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Depends how it is setup and used I guess.

Also depends where you live and where you work (Need to travel).
Also comes down to using it for a hobby as well.

Like most people lower cars and put bodykits on them ... and larger wheels, etc.

Both types of vehicles can be as equally as dangerous as each other ... it coems down to if the modification sare done properly/safely ... and then it comes down to the driver of the vehicle (moreso than anything else).

Quite a few friends of mine have "high-rise vehicles" (mucho money spent too) ... and they get used for their intended purposes ... but also get used in suburbia too. But they all know their vehicles aren't built for speed and cornering ... and their drive accordingly to be safe.

They can't afrd to drive like idiots in them ... cos of the amount of money that is spent on thier vehicles.
Old 21-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #15
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Like most people lower cars and put bodykits on them ... and larger wheels, etc.

Both types of vehicles can be as equally as dangerous as each other ...
I'd feel heaps safer on the bump stops thanks!
Old 21-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
I'd feel heaps safer on the bump stops thanks!
Not when a truck doesn't see you and runs straight over the top of you.
Old 21-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #17
nang3

Quote:
Quite a few friends of mine have "high-rise vehicles" (mucho money spent too) ... and they get used for their intended purposes ... but also get used in suburbia too. But they all know their vehicles aren't built for speed and cornering ... and their drive accordingly to be safe.

This is exactly true. I had a patrol that was jacked up 9 inches over standard with a high COG and i adjusted accordingly and never came close to crashing or causing damage to another car...

Quote:
can u tell me where i can buy a 100 series cruiser from @ that price and then where i can buy that suspension set up from for 15k. i mean u would be lookin @ 50k for the car plus bout 30-40k for ALL that gear i mean really
yeh the hundy would be closer to 50K but i doubt 30-40K for that gear?? well maybe if he has the works, both diff locks, rollerdrawers, chev conversion etc etc.. but that spring kit would only be about $3K or $4K.. point is it is easy and cheap to get a 4wd lifted.. cost me a total of $4000 to get 7 inches higher than stock, BUT it all comes down to the driver..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
stupid women sitting up in them thinking there so powerfull and mighty alot of 4wd also tend to think they have right of way everywhere
I dont think they think they are high and mighty, they are just bad drivers to start with and dont notice anything around them adn have no clue ... i work next to a surf shop and there are literally dozens of soccer moms in 4wds rocking up everyday - 80% of them cant even park them, 60% open their doors straight into whatever car is next to them, and 100% of them need a 700pt turn to get out again... the soccer dads dont have that problem though :
Old 22-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #18
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Depends how it is setup and used I guess.

Also depends where you live and where you work (Need to travel).
Also comes down to using it for a hobby as well.

Both types of vehicles can be as equally as dangerous as each other ... it coems down to if the modification sare done properly/safely ... and then it comes down to the driver of the vehicle (moreso than anything else).

They can't afrd to drive like idiots in them ... cos of the amount of money that is spent on thier vehicles.
Thats true if the drivers are not drivng there 4WD like a sports car and no its limits they are no more dangerous than any other car
Old 21-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #19
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Big 4WDs like that are just ugly pigs that should be taxed out of existence.
Old 22-12-2005, 08:36 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
Big 4WDs like that are just ugly pigs that should be taxed out of existence.
Amen.

Had a mate who was T boned by one of these troglodite morons who went through a red light.
There was a reason I said HAD a mate, as he is no longer with us thanks to some foll with an inferiority complex and a 2 inch pecker - requiring such an oversized vehicle.

Problems are not just with the size of the vehicle, but the insular effect it offers the drivers which unfortunately turn to arrogance and plain stupidity. As the roads get busier this is the last thing we need, and the fact that in a side impact these vehicles are basically crushing one of the weakest points on a cars' chassis means that they do tremendous damage to the safety cell, alarmingly seriously injuring or killing occupants of any vehicle not of similar dimensions.

Quote: