Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default australian oil refineries to close

http://theconversation.edu.au/securi...shut-down-5553

Quote:
The looming closure of three Australian refineries will affect the security of liquid fuel supplies in Australia. This is particularly so if the government and the oil industry do not devise a joint strategy with which to respond to potential supply disruptions.
Last week, Caltex Australia has written down the value of its two oil refineries (Kurnell in NSW and Lytton in Queensland) by A$1.5 billion. Caltex announced that the results of an operational review due in six months could lead to refinery closures.
The closure may mark another milestone in the decline of Australia’s refining sector. Shell confirmed in July 2011 that it will shut down refining operations at Clyde and convert the Clyde Refinery and Gore Bay Terminal into a fuel import facility by mid-2013. ExxonMobil’s Port Stanvac refinery near Adelaide was mothballed in 2003. In 2009, the decision was made to close down the refinery.
If an ongoing Caltex review results in closure of the two refineries, the nation will be reduced to just four, half the number in 2003.
Caltex’s position also raises questions over the viability of the nation’s four other refineries. Analysts often tout ExxonMobil’s Altona refinery in Melbourne as a candidate for divestment.
There is consensus among industry analysts that it is extremely unlikely there will be any new major additions to Australia’s refining capacity. In fact, BP’s chief economist Christof Ruhl described the future of the local refining industry as “dire”.
more in link

burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: australian oil refineries to close

They could always be "coerced" into a JV for a super refinery. We can't be left to imported-only petrol.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its a dangerous thing to do having no refineries here, if war broke out it could have serious implications.

Good thing Shell in Geelong is spending up big on a water recycling plant for its refinery, shows they don't plan on leaving.

Something like $10-30 million, can't remember the exact cost but its a fair chunk of cash.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Its a dangerous thing to do having no refineries here, if war broke out it could have serious implications.

Good thing Shell in Geelong is spending up big on a water recycling plant for its refinery, shows they don't plan on leaving.

Something like $10-30 million, can't remember the exact cost but its a fair chunk of cash.

Don't bet on it. if closing down will save them $200 million over a few years, $30 Million wouldn't stop them. been in the industry for 25 years and seen many more millions spend on infrastructure only to have it pulled back out a couple of years later
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So does that mean ALL of our oil supplies will go overseas and come back to Australia at even higher inflated prices then the singapore price?

Lets all import everything...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Yep, we're officially the stupid country.

Ed
Old 27-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This has been coming for a while as our refineries are old technology and can't compete with efficient new refineries in Asia.
The cost of updating them is hardly worth the effort and I'd expect the cahnes will happen pretty quickly.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Makes me wonder what BP will do with the Kwinana refinery seeing as it was built in 1950 or thereabouts. Not having the ability to refine oil is a major economic and security issue.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

those idiots in Canberra wouldnt even think of fuel security they are to busy looking after themselves to see the whole joint is going to pot.

God help Australia cause the Government wont

Its just another industry closing . they wont think past the next election let alone 5 to 10 years ahead
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So does that mean ALL of our oil supplies will go overseas and come back to Australia at even higher inflated prices then the singapore price?

Yep. Lets export all of our coal and iron ore at a record $150/tonne. Then we can buy it back in cars which cost $15,000/tonne.

Hyundai boast about buying our resources and using it in their cars. It's in some of their advertisements!

Several years ago it was suggested we build two MASSIVE steel mills. One in QLD and the other in WA. Both could be powered by LNG. Build a national railway between them. Load up the train with iron ore in WA. Unload in QLD, load up with coal. Unload in WA. Repeat. That sort of stuff is nation building.

To not be able to refine oil in this country is just wrong. Stupidly wrong.

Really, I think it is becoming time to say just like Brazil, that if you want to import something into the country, then your firm also has to either export something to 1/x the amount or make 1/x amount locally.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Several years ago it was suggested we build two MASSIVE steel mills. One in QLD and the other in WA. Both could be powered by LNG. Build a national railway between them. Load up the train with iron ore in WA. Unload in QLD, load up with coal. Unload in WA. Repeat. That sort of stuff is nation building.

To not be able to refine oil in this country is just wrong. Stupidly wrong.

Really, I think it is becoming time to say just like Brazil, that if you want to import something into the country, then your firm also has to either export something to 1/x the amount or make 1/x amount locally.
Mate as long as Australian workers want to be paid top dollar for their work...then things like steel mills, refineries, car manufacturers and the like will be sourced over seas to places where the labour is cheaper.

High Australian dollar doesn't help either.
Old 28-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Mate as long as Australian workers want to be paid top dollar for their work...then things like steel mills, refineries, car manufacturers and the like will be sourced over seas to places where the labour is cheaper.

What is a fair wage in your honest opinion? 50k? I agree that maybe there might need to be an attitude readjustment when it comes to wages.......
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
mick457
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
What is a fair wage in your honest opinion? 50k? I agree that maybe there might need to be an attitude readjustment when it comes to wages.......
the problem is if everything wasnt so dam expinsive then we wouldnt need these so called high wages
im a butcher and i earn $47g a year which is 750 odd after tax, how do you feed a family pay bills ect on that
dont no how my dad did it when we were young

Performace
DBA 4000s, Blue power intake, Whiteline swaybars, FG manifold, PWR Radiator, king springs low, Monroe gt sport
DJR bobtail, LSD 3.46, 20%UD
Pacemaker 4490s, Venom cat, redback catback
mick457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR

cost of living.. hard thing to keep up with.. screwed every time you move..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:

I 2nd that - like a political that might actually do something for manufacturing.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
z80
Banned

Electric cars will save us...
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone else care about the amount of jobs leaving the country? It's really starting to worry me.......
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 28-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
Carby

Why on earth would companies spend up big on manufacturing in Australia when they have things like Carbon Tax to deal with?

Much cheaper and profitable to just import the stuff.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Why on earth would companies spend up big on manufacturing in Australia when they have things like Carbon Tax to deal with?

Much cheaper and profitable to just import the stuff.
that`s about the size of it mate, big companies can see the writing on the wall, i hope i`m wrong but i think, the the companies already closing/closed up shop are only a small section of what is going to go.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #20
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This kind of thing makes me mad. What the hell is wrong with our leaders in this country ? Cant they see whats happening?

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape
This kind of thing makes me mad. What the hell is wrong with our leaders in this country ? Cant they see whats happening?
Do they even care? If the government were to do a vote on the carbon tax, how many would vote yes? So if so many australians are against it, why even implement it????
Old 28-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Do they even care? If the government were to do a vote on the carbon tax, how many would vote yes? So if so many australians are against it, why even implement it????
moving forward it is the right and responsible thing to do......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

could the last one out turn off the lights please
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #24
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape
There is nothing wrong with the people we call the leaders of the country. They are doing as the shareholders of Govco Pty Ltd want.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #25
MAD
Petro-sexual

The only good thing I can see coming from this, is public access to fish from the huge pier into Westernport near Crib Point.
Old 28-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #26
MAD
Petro-sexual

If all the big companies leave Australia, we will become a country ruined by poverty.
Then they'll come back and employ us at cheaper rates.
Old 28-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Mobil site at Altona has been for sale for about the last 5 years. Problem is the buyer would need to clean it up, so they haven't been able to offload it.

Shell in Geelong have threatened many times to go offshore, and have continually made deals with the Feds not to.
Old 28-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

The first industrialised nation was the UK. It also became the worlds first de-industrialised nation. They import everything now and their economy is cactus. They probably didn't see that coming 60 years ago. Guess where Australia is heading.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #29
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
The first industrialised nation was the UK. It also became the worlds first de-industrialised nation. They import everything now and their economy is cactus. They probably didn't see that coming 60 years ago. Guess where Australia is heading.
so why is the UK sterling (GBP) doing so well that they refused to drop it in favour of the Euro as their preferred currency? it's not greece you are thinking of?

back on topic, it's sad we are loosing so much manufacturing.
Old 28-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #30
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man i miss ampol that was a sweet company i always got my aussie fuel there except sometimes golden fleece when they were open
||| is offline   Reply With Quote