Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Any old school RTS players here?

Just wondering if we have any people here who used to play strategy games on PC/Console?

I'm interested in getting a few people together for a couple of games if possible, particulary the original "Red Alert" on PC (its free these days).

If you do play, want to play or want to learn if you could post here it would be sweet, thanks. Its good for killing some spare time.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
CFOUR
The Destroyer

its been a while but I played the hell out off age of empires and total annihilation back when they where fresh (1997). I still play the occasional game of total annihilation every year or so.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://www.red-alert.net/n3trunn3r/r...t/fullra+.html

There is the download for Red Alert, EA Games released the full game not too long ago. This is what the online community uses.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
veqlargh

I used to love the old Starcraft and Warcraft franchises. Once the new Starcraft comes out i will be playing that a hell of a lot. Never did get into Red ALert.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
There is the download for Red Alert, EA Games released the full game not too long ago. This is what the online community uses.
It's called 'Abandonware', when a company no longer sells the game for profit and therefore it is made available for free online.

You can find many great old games online...

To find them, type in '<game name> Abandonware' and you'll probably find it.

Abandonia is a good site to visit too.

Enjoy.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i still got the RA2 disc's somewhere.... dabbled in sc, aoe, ta wc etc
spent too much time playing dark reign
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
XPfalcon170

man, those screen shots bring back memories (Ah, those cheesy RA cutscenes). Still got the original Ra, Ra2, CnC, CnC2 and TA games in the boxes lying round somewhere haha. I think these games had taken out a few years of my life from playing them for so long.
XPfalcon170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
just_pazz
Ford Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351@GT
i still got the RA2 disc's somewhere.... dabbled in sc, aoe, ta wc etc
spent too much time playing dark reign
My favourite RTS of all time, Dark Reign. Played it lots when is was a younger fella. Australian made game also iirc.
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Yeah, they're still fun to play to this day as well, lots of re-playability. I've been playing some guys 1v1 and free for all just today, theres some good people out there.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best RTS for me is Dune II.
Basically the first big-time RTS ever..I know there was another one in the 80s, but Dune II was the first great one...

C+C and Red Alert came after Dune II...same company; Westwood Studios.

The only Warcraft anything I have ever loved is Warcraft II.

Nothing else comes close for me....

Don't snap my undies.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've never played the Dune series, was interested a long time ago when CNC Renegade came out and they had a trailer for one of the Dune games on there, was in full 3D.

The newer RTS' are pretty cool, but long gone are the old days when you could just crush anything with hundreds of crappy rifleman haha. Its not so simple now unfortunately.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've never played the Dune series, was interested a long time ago when CNC Renegade came out and they had a trailer for one of the Dune games on there, was in full 3D.

The newer RTS' are pretty cool, but long gone are the old days when you could just crush anything with hundreds of crappy rifleman haha. Its not so simple now unfortunately.
Dune 2000 was absolutely crappo.
Emperor: Battle for Dune was a lot better.

The first Dune game was not an RTS. It was an adventure/management game.
Dune II was pure RTS. No rescue missions...skirmishes only. Build an army and then go in and raze. Three different Houses.

If you consider yourself an RTS fan but have not played Dune II, then you're doing yourself and the genre an injustice.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I was an AoE addict for many years, I've still got the old original genuine CD's for AoE 1 & 2, plus their expansions, here somewhere. I should reinstall them, I loved playing them.

Empire Earth was AWESOME when that first came out, I remember hours upon hours of wasted time playing that against mates. Especially when you could start nuking them lol.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I play the CNC series, started off with Red Alert and still play it, RA, RA2, Generals and C&C3 are my main ones (Red Alert 3/C&C4 is poohouse). I played some Warcraft III but I don't really like the series. Age of Empires II is great fun to play too, Company of Heroes is really good and same with World In Conflict for modern RTS.

Did they release Dune for free yet? I'll look into it.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did they release Dune for free yet? I'll look into it.
I know Dune (the first game was not an RTS) and Dune II are both freeware abandonware and available on many abandonware sites.

Don't bother with Dune 2000.

Try downloading torrents if you want Emperior: Battle for Dune, or if it is still sold, you can buy it probably cheap.

Don't snap my undies.

Last edited by uranium_death; 05-04-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #16
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

C&C 2 & 3 are my favourites. Although many consider them to not be RTS (too simplistic or something). C&C 4 is horrifying. I was in absolute shock after playing it.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also EA Games ruined the series when they bought out Westwood Studios, RA2 was really cheesy and looked like a cartoon, Generals had nothing to do with the series, its like the RTS version of Battlefield 2 (it is a decent game, but not worthy of the C&C title), C&C3 was a step in the right direction, RA3 was hopeless, it got even worse than RA2 with the cheesyness and it was completely cartoony. C&C4, my god... How did they go so wrong? What a weak way to end the series.

All EA Games did was buy out companies, take over their series and them ruin them, hell they even ruined their own "Need for Speed" series. They churn out games with fancy graphics and hoping people don't notice the shortfall in gameplay.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #18
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All EA Games did was buy out companies, take over their series and them ruin them, hell they even ruined their own "Need for Speed" series. They churn out games with fancy graphics and hoping people don't notice the shortfall in gameplay.
You deserve a beer. You near the Grand Ridge brewery in Gippsland? :

Great point. Gaming is going down the crapper, with many franchises releasing garbage to appeal to the naive. Disney and co. release a game for every film and it sells squillions. Gold like Star Control II is hardly known nowadays.

I love Star Control II for the game, and also because Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III (creators of the game) basically told Accolade to shove it up their backside when it came to releasing the game on Accolade's terms. They worked for six unpaid months over the initial release date just so the game could resemble what they wanted.

Big companies are not great for games because they are only interested in profit...not making gamers or programmers happy.

EA is a great example. Franchise whores.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Ea has really turned over a new leaf the past 3 years. Wheras activision has taken ea's 3rd Reich approach to game devlopement to the next level. Quote from head of activision: "we are not in the buisness of making fun, we are a company that manufactures a product and we are 100% about the bottom line."
Old 05-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #20
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is star control the game with the little space ships that say things like LAUNCH FIGHTERS and DIEEEEEE and stuff like that. was on the amiga.

And very true big damo, EA HAS SHAGGED THE CNC NAME...

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by samftr
Is star control the game with the little space ships that say things like LAUNCH FIGHTERS and DIEEEEEE and stuff like that. was on the amiga.
'Launch Fighters' is the Ur-Quan ship...that is in Melee mode.

The adventure game is far more than that though...the music...WOW!

Also, Star Control II was not on the Amiga. Only Star Control was.

Star Control II has a purpose. You talk to aliens, collect artifacts and minerals, and help other alien races. You also have to destroy the Ur-Quan Armada.

You can download it free: It was ported to the 3DO in the mid 90s (the 3DO was Panasonic's answer to the Sony Playstation).

The 3DO version is called, "The Ur-Quan Masters". They could only do a Windows-compatible version from the 3DO port because the original PC source code has been lost.

You can also get Star Control II PC on abandonware, but you MUST use DosBox. I personally do not touch The Ur-Quan Masters, because I'm finnicky and will only play the original, with the original soundtrack, graphics and interface.

Don't snap my undies.

Last edited by uranium_death; 06-04-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #22
Trek
Blue blooded

Hate me for this if you wish, but I LOVED KKND/KKND2

I know they ripped on others, but I couldn't help but become addicted to them.

Total Annihilation was pretty one dimensional, but still fun to play, on the odd occasion.

Then there was Warcraft II, as unranium_death said. Definitely up there with the best, ever.

Sid Meier's Civilization/Civilization II rocked.

And finally Heroes of Might and Magic II and Heroes of Might and Magic III.

Many fine hours wasted on these awesome, awesome games.

Had played Dune II, but it failed to grasp my interest as much as the ones above, sad to say.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek
Had played Dune II, but it failed to grasp my interest as much as the ones above, sad to say.
Did you play Dune II before or after the rest?

I was playing Dune II when I was 9/10. In fact, I used to stay away from school (Grade 3 - 1993 - was 10 that year) just to play Dune II, Star Control II and Microprose Grand Prix.

When Warcraft came along in 1993/4, it just didn't hold my interest as much.

Warcraft II later though came close...but I love Dune. The story from the original game (based on the film) was great.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #24
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Did you play Dune II before or after the rest?
I discovered it after most of the others I listed there, hence probably didn't have the same impact as it might have, had I discovered it firstly, I suppose.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #25
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I was playing Dune II when I was 9/10. In fact, I used to stay away from school (Grade 3 - 1993 - was 10 that year) just to play Dune II
lol... I thought I was the only one that did that! Dune II stared me on RTS games as well - unfortunately I have not found a game that is as inviting to play as dune II. The ONLY thing it misses though is group selection!
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
lol... I thought I was the only one that did that! Dune II stared me on RTS games as well - unfortunately I have not found a game that is as inviting to play as dune II. The ONLY thing it misses though is group selection!
If you're up for modern RTS, try Company of Heroes, the original, not the expansions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w7Wv-0_cII

Gameplay starts at 2:52.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #27
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
Dune II though is about being selective and having a strategy. Once you work out how to defeat the enemy, it's easy as pie...

Let's just say that the back door is always unlocked.

So really, having a group selection thing is not all that important.

Moving out!

Don't snap my undies.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

so who since this thread has started playing again. im tempted to reinstall C&C but i know i really shouldnt :

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also not really related to RTS, but does anyone here still play Diablo II?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #30
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Also not really related to RTS, but does anyone here still play Diablo II?
Haven't played it in yearsssss!!
All the hacks online used to annoy me!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post