Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry FORD is to close down its Australian car-making operations until next Wednesday

Ford to close plants

FORD is to close down its Australian car-making operations until next Wednesday, a company spokeswoman said.

The company has made the decision in response to the failure of parts manufacturer CMI Industrial.

Ford spokeswoman Sinead Phipps said production would cease from the close of business today.

Thats not good news..what if the supplier cann't start supplying parts ???????
Lets hope Ford don't use this as an excuse to kill Falcon......

Old 26-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FORD is to close down its Australian car-making operations until next Wednesday

They will just get new supplier, its only a minor setback, people will still get paid, i just dont know why they didnt get another supplier by now, if i cant get something from one person you go see the next person who has it
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

Default Re: FORD is to close down its Australian car-making operations until next Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black F6
They will just get new supplier, its only a minor setback, people will still get paid, i just dont know why they didnt get another supplier by now, if i cant get something from one person you go see the next person who has it
if they're custom components then no, no one else has it.
lead time is involved for tooling etc.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
if they're custom components then no, no one else has it.
lead time is involved for tooling etc.

I think i read or heard that there is a company in New Zealand that can provide the product needed.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA
I think i read or heard that there is a company in New Zealand that can provide the product needed.
Transport would be interesting though.

Shipments (at least initially) would need to be flown in, which adds considerable cost.

Does the New Zealand company have enough *free* production capacity to do the job? No point giving them a contract if they can only produce small numbers of units.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
HUNTER8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA
Funny about that.......
If you go to the CMI Industrial website you see it's not a smallish operation.
http://www.cmiindustrial.com.au/locations.html
Old 26-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black F6
So other than ZF - who makes the ZF gearbox?

Yes, people will be getting paid - assuming they have leave to cover the shutdown; if they don't.... well then they'll be hurting.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
So other than ZF - who makes the ZF gearbox?

Yes, people will be getting paid - assuming they have leave to cover the shutdown; if they don't.... well then they'll be hurting.
1) Ford US manufacture a licensed build version of the ZF 6 speed gear box, this box is used in the diesel Territory and the Ecoboost falcon I believe.

2) If they are permanent employee's (not casual) and cannot work due to a fault of the company, as far as I am aware they still get paid?

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
1) Ford US manufacture a licensed build version of the ZF 6 speed gear box, this box is used in the diesel Territory and the Ecoboost falcon I believe.
It was in relation to the silly 'just find someone else' response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
2) If they are permanent employee's (not casual) and cannot work due to a fault of the company, as far as I am aware they still get paid?
http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/...-1226338962233

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthNow
The company's Broadmeadows and Geelong factories already had a scheduled day off for Monday, and would bring workers' leave entitlements forward to ensure they were paid if the temporary stand-downs did occur.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I wonder what costs would be involved for Ford to assume control of the parts factory and start making those parts itself...and then spin the operation off on its own for sale as a going concern once it was trading profitably.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
greens_tuf

You've gotta love the news headlines

"Ford shuts plant, workers stood down. FORD is to close its Australian car-making operations until Wednesday, with almost 2000 workers to be stood down."

Without reading the article, I thought Ford was closing its AUS operations LOL. That's really gonna help sales!
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Well - one positive that can be drawn from this is a week of no production means the dealer and paddock stock of cars can be whittled down a bit.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 26-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
nstg8a

im sure i read in one of the earlier articles that stood down employees will be paid 50% of their normal pay.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Here's an idea. Ford assumes all of CMI's debt and employee responsibilities, in exchange for all of CMI's tooling, materials and assets (apart from rented assets like the factory). The premises is handed back to the landlord (now that Ford has dealt with the outstanding rent) and Ford relocates all of the tooling, materials and workers to the Geelong plant and starts making all of the parts CMI used to make, itself. This should 1) give Ford a stable, more accessable supply of these parts 2) reduce overall costs and 3) give the Geelong plant an extra avenue to keep its plant ticking over and people in work for when production of the I6 starts to be wound back.

The way I'm seeing it, is that there are too many "middle man" suppliers. CMI makes the suspension arms, which are then sold to DANA, who fit them to suspension modules which are then sold to Ford. Surely they can make do without that extra supplier in the process adding costs to the price of parts and therefore the overall cost at the end ?? Or make it so DANA instead of Ford assumes the debt and employees but makes all the compoments, either way, there needs to be some sort of reduction in the amount of processes here. The car makers used to make all of this crap themselves but spun it all off in the 1990's and 2000's citing cost and efficiency dividends, but it seems to me that the wheel could turn full circle and the car makers could be forced into making their own parts again.

Old 28-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Here's an idea. Ford assumes all of CMI's debt and employee responsibilities, in exchange for all of CMI's tooling, materials and assets (apart from rented assets like the factory)......
That's stupid, just buy the stuff you WANT off the administrator (stock and tooling) and let them sort out all the debt, liabilities and shut down the company.
Old 29-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
That's stupid, just buy the stuff you WANT off the administrator (stock and tooling) and let them sort out all the debt, liabilities and shut down the company.
Aren't FoA still keeping ACL afloat after they went into administration 3(?) years ago? Pretty sure Ford will (or have?) end up buying ACL..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
JG34JA

Hey thanks to all who explained how JIT helps a business to me. And to the example of offsourcing a part of a business for negligible cost benefit with inferior quality being the result (Big Damo's), I sympathise.

I have a question: how does JIT work in an environment when that which was considered reliable, becomes less so? Are there contingencies for this?

The reason I ask is considering the effects in the home of JIT, of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami and nuclear disaster. It should be obvious that the entire supply chain was disrupted (and would have been if all production was in-house anyway, I admit.) If certain suppliers are located in devastated regions, does this mean the entire manufacturing complex gets taken down?
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The issue I have with treating floor staff like crap is that if you demoralise them, they end up with IDGAF attitude towards everything, and pretty much just turn up for the pay check. If you treat them well, it might cost you a few BBQs and some meetings telling everyone you appreciate what they do, but they tend to have a better attitude towards work and you end up with a better product.
We used to be well treated and were always kept informed of what was happening around the place. We're just mushrooms now. The only way be found out info about the CMI situation was to listen to the radio or watch the news on TV. They only told us what was happening an hour or so before the end of shift on Thursday that we wouldn't need to come back till Wednesday. Poor communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Aren't FoA still keeping ACL afloat after they went into administration 3(?) years ago? Pretty sure Ford will (or have?) end up buying ACL..
They had to give a few million to ACL to keep them afloat, but they didn't or aren't buying into them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A union rep just said on channel 10 news that Ford could've stopped this if it wanted to (re closure of plant until wednesday). Is he insinuating they should've paid the rent or found the part elsewhere?
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino
A union rep just said on channel 10 news that Ford could've stopped this if it wanted to (re closure of plant until wednesday). Is he insinuating they should've paid the rent or found the part elsewhere?
union reps will always say management could have done better, regardless of the actual costs or ramifications of 'better' options.

as said, its only a few days, and easily made up by swapping round the down days.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #21
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Latest article all seem to mention ford is in dispute with the supplier, I dare say Ford has not paid it's bills for some reason or another which has obviously dented cash-flow sending the company into receivership.

I dare say Ford has initiated this in some way or another.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Latest article all seem to mention ford is in dispute with the supplier, I dare say Ford has not paid it's bills for some reason or another which has obviously dented cash-flow sending the company into receivership.

Please have some sort of facts before you say things like that!!!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Rubbish !

Manufacturing in this country is struggling, especially component suppliers to the Automotive industry due to reduced volume from the 3 local Automotive manufacturer's.

Ford Australia is profitable and pay's it's bills as required.

I dare say you don't know what you're talking about
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #24
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Rubbish !

Manufacturing in this country is struggling, especially component suppliers to the Automotive industry due to reduced volume from the 3 local Automotive manufacturer's.

Really? This is not Ma and Pa Kettle or Barra XR8 buying a rotten apple at Wollies.

CMI supply suspension parts for Territories, these are currently under recall for ball joints. I'm certain supply contracts would contain damages clauses, ie in the event of a recall the rectification costs can be passed on to the supplier like CMI. This would be enough to with hold payment until rectification or at least the "dispute" is complete.

Might be a coincidence but I doubt it.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Rubbish !

We had a meeting this morning, a quite serious one saying we're on our way to losing our contracts to our competitor, because they're putting out a better quality product, and our client is sick of our quality issues.

It all started when we sacked our fabricating business and started getting furniture from China, we spend lots of time re-working it, its making the whole vehicle build take much longer, the car is coming out crappier, we're taking short cuts here and there to save time, cheaping out on the little things, for example its taking our reverse camera monitor, 10 seconds to come on when you select reverse because we opted for the cheapest model and they didn't like that.

The doors on the cabinets have massive gaps in them because they arent made properly, they rattle when you drive, there are 4 or 5 different shades of white on the furniture inside the vehicle and their powercoating is crap.

We've lost 50% of the contract to our competitor, who are delivering MUCH better quality vehicles and they manufacture all their furniture here in Australia, they actually support the little manufacturing workshops etc.

We're in manufacturing, which is basically the Titanic here in Victoria and instead of supporting Australians who are also in the manufacturing industry, we're supporting the Chinese who are sending us a crap product, which in the end cost us a lot of business. It would have been cheaper to be supporting our own people, even if it did cost more for labour and materials, because we'd still have the majority of not all of the contract.

We spend more time re-working crap from China, which would have been alright in the first place if we made it here. In the end it still looks like *** anyways.

Death by KPI, cheap out on everything, looks great on paper, unfortunately its backfired big time and they're playing the blame game now.

If we lose the contract, its game over for us in Victoria, might see us on the news too.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Here's an idea. Ford assumes all of CMI's debt and employee responsibilities, in exchange for all of CMI's tooling, materials and assets
Slight problem with that. Ford should already own the tooling.
Quote:

This is very close to home to what happens throughout the entire auto industry of late. Any excuses from the big guys to not pay invoices, and they are on to it.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #27
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This topic is a repost...

As been said in the other topic, there is so many down days schedule over the next 2 months that these will mean NOTHING to Ford.. Other planned down days will just be cancell to replace these ones.. It is a tea cup in a storm, or what ever the saying is!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #28
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahh there is thread on this already...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

JIT...awesome! Cant even last what 2-3 days of production if one supplier cracks it?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
JG34JA

Isn't JIT the philosophical antithesis of Henry Ford's vertical integration of all of his manufacturing? River Rouge comes to mind.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post