Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What do you think of over done car audio?
My favourite song is "totally addicated to bass" 39 21.55%
Its just sad 96 53.04%
WGAF 46 25.41%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Thoughts on over done car-audio systems

What are your thoughts on people with $5000 systems in $2k cars. (what the hell am I doing saying "systems")

RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Each to their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
Each to their own.
Closet audiophile!!!
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People with a passion for sound, with less interest than what puts power to the ground!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #5
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
Closet audiophile!!!
I'm relatively happy with the stock 250W system in my EL Ghia. It's not bad for a 10 year old car.
6 Stack CD
8 Speakers
1 sub
1 Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I'm relatively happy with the stock 250W system in my EL Ghia. It's not bad for a 10 year old car.
6 Stack CD
8 Speakers
1 sub
1 Amp
Maybe I'm dreaming but I think the stock system in my EF Ghia (probably not much different to the EL) was better than the Premium sound I have in the BA. That system rocked. The DSP actually worked and Van Halen set on stadium was awesome. Haven't touched the DSP in the BA as it sounds awful.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
BTTB
Free XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Maybe I'm dreaming but I think the stock system in my EF Ghia (probably not much different to the EL) was better than the Premium sound I have in the BA. That system rocked. The DSP actually worked and Van Halen set on stadium was awesome. Haven't touched the DSP in the BA as it sounds awful.
I love the sound system in my EF ghia ...

but anything more than that is money best spent elsewhere
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 07:39 AM   #8
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Each to their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
theres also the sweet sound of a cleveland in front of me....

I like to hear the the sound of a Nice "Clevo" Burble away through twin exhuasts too much to cover it up with some "Doof Doof" music . Ahh , nothing like the sound of that V8 system .

Having said that , some young guy's have some awsome sound systems in their "Show Cars" ( I admire that) but they're in the car for a reason . I don't see the point of a Crapper with speakers hanging out from everywhere & the car in 1/2 undercoat , couple of different rims , dings everywhere , etc. thumping away shaking your car as they pass & can't speak to each other in the car "cos it's soooo loud". Don't get me wrong , I love music pumped up , been a muso for 30 years . I'd rather a good Home System , but can appreciate parental problems for people still living at home .

When I was young(er) , the In Thing was an AWA Clarion cassette pounding away through 4 - 6" speakers ,a whole 12 watts RMS , you could actually hear it as far away as the footpath (hahaha) .

(Geesh , I must be getting OLD)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
I like to hear the the sound of a Nice "Clevo" Burble away through twin exhuasts too much to cover it up with some "Doof Doof" music . Ahh , nothing like the sound of that V8 system .
Couldn't agree with you more!!!... Especially when a 51 is on song!

I dont mind spending money to have a nice sound but that isnt my priority at the moment... but having said that each to their own....

Some like to spend money on motors others on sound.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #10
5L
[ 5L ]

does this include competition sound off cars?

im probably not changing the sound system in my xr8 as the premium sound is good enough, but my last car i spent abit on a system. depends if that is what your after.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #11
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's a bit lame, esspecially when they pump it up for the sole purpose of shitting off everyone else in traffic around them. But that's just my opinion and some people probably think my DVD collection is lame :P so yeah, each to their own I guess

That being said - good systems are good systems, and Kenaz's setup is nice and is something similar to what I had in my old Magna. I was talking about the setups that have eighty fluro lights and ten subwoofers etc etc... But again, each to their own
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #12
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

:MrT_anim:

Depends, I think a single in-dash DVD fold out screen is fine and am contemplating putting one in the TS50. What I don't get or like is guys who have screens in headrest (not "so" bad), trunk, doors, roof, anywhere they can fit them. Just doesn't make sense to me. I would never park up somewhere and watch a DVD on the trunk lid. To each his own. I have 3 beautiful sound systems. 340ci, 347ci & 440ci. ;)
Old 09-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #13
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see a problem with them. It's not as if you'd do it to have the most bass when cruising down your local drag...

They are showcars, built to show the level of skill put into an install, component selection and general knowledge of their car audio systems. Those not in the scene just see it as who can spend the most money, but it definately isn't just that...

An SPL competition, for example, someone with 2 subs and a decent amp will better someone with 5 subs with poor power and box selection.

It's all in the eye of the beholder
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #14
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

thank god Ammo Jammo no longer graces us with his wisdom on this subject
/Sarcasm off

I like quality sound in what ever car i have, so if i had a $2k car, i would probably spend more than that to get sound nice
Old 09-02-2007, 02:22 AM   #15
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
thank god Ammo Jammo no longer graces us with his wisdom on this subject
/Sarcasm off
LOL! wanna race! its funny how we all remember that fool, i bet hes lurking under a new username? probably wrapped himself around a pole (well, a telephone pole, not a persons pole this time) by now.

i dont see the point anymore, i had a system in my first car, but now im over it, plus, a 15" pro comp sub playing pantera didnt do to well, Kenwood 7x10's and RF 6" splits are all i need now, enough bass for the roof to rattle anyway.

theres also the sweet sound of a cleveland in front of me....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 02:25 AM   #16
Scott

lol @ ammo jammo!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #17
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
lol @ ammo jammo!

I love your signature GTP006 :
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 03:18 AM   #18
holmsy
Banned

only thing i dont like is the people in the peice of crap cars with nothing but bass that sound **** house as all it does it rattle the screws out of the boot and thats all you hear anyway. other than that if it actually makes a good noise i dont mind it.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #19
The Monty
Just slidin'

Each to there own. My system cost me around two grand installed, but I was after quality sound, not loud bass. I listen to heavy metal, and it takes patience to get a nice clean loud sound, especially when listening to stuff like fear factory and cannibal corpse, as sometimes the subs wont keep up with the double kicks. I was told that having 6x9's and 2x12's would be no good, but its fine, I have never had a problem.
Back to the question at hand, each to there own, I have a mate who just took out a personal loan to buy around $5000 worth of stereo for his $500 swift he bought from the wreckers, but by all means thats his choice, but not something I would do.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #20
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought by STEREO 10 years ago before they had "SUBS" or even "SUBWAY". It was $2000 at the time but they have comedown a lot since. I have a 12 stack CD and even a cassette player...
I don't listen to anything recorded after about 1985 so my opinion doesn't count.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 AM   #21
pb02
inconceivable!

I like good QUALITY sound. I don't think other people are interested in hearing my music, and I sure as hell don't want to be able to hear the music from other peoples cars.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #22
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Probably better spending your dosh on stereo gear than mods that will break your car.

But it's personal preference. Me personally, I like good sounding systems. My last setup was splits, rear co-axials 2 amps and 1 12" sub.. have removed since then as I needed the cash.

At the moment I've still got splits/rears and 1 amp running, have recently bought a new monoblock and am looking for a nice 8" sub to fit in replace of the factory system.

However, I love getting into a car that's got a full on system that can almost cave your chest...
Old 09-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
BAFalconXT
Sold...

As for a sound system costing more than the car, how many people have mags that are worth more than the car? :
If they have a better sterio at home than whats in the car, it is fine....
Old 09-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #24
XRated
Shoot.

Option C.

It's the same as people spending $6k on half-arsed turbo installs on EBs that are worth about $1-3k. It's some people's passion/pride and joy and hence why they do mods to their own car, whether it's worth $5k or $50k.

I'd happily spend $3k-4k+ on a quality sounding audio system - I don't much care for loudness; but rather crisp, clear sound. But I have other priorities first (security, reliability and looks).

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #25
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Any modification to a vehcile can be considered a "waste of money" to someone who lacks interest in the area.

My housemate works in car audio, and LOVES his music (playing, recording, engineering etc). He's never gone overboard on the car audio gear, but likes to have something loud with a good sound, as he's pretty picky when it comes to anything audio related.

What perplexes me is someone who drops a few k on their car audio gear... to listen to Barbie Girl or something equally as stupid at 100db???
Old 09-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #26
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Pfffffffft

To Solve the Problem you have two cars...........

I have a daily Fairmont which has the Doof Doof

And I have the Monster Charger which has not even got a Head Unit......why would you put a Stereo in a Car that you want to hear the engine?

PS Before I even bought my first car when I was 17 I had already purchased my stereo for it (head unit plus front and rear speakers)

AND FYI the song "totally addicated to bass" or whatever its real title is one of the crapist songs you could play on a system as the BASS is very poor for a song that is all about BASS............

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #27
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
AND FYI the song "totally addicated to bass" or whatever its real title is one of the crapist songs you could play on a system as the BASS is very poor for a song that is all about BASS............
Ain't that the truth...

I like car audio, I can appreciate the effort put in by installers to show what they're capable of.

My next car will have some nice audio gear put in it...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #28
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
And I have the Monster Charger which has not even got a Head Unit......why would you put a Stereo in a Car that you want to hear the engine?
The doctor is in and he's got the antidote!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #29
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

I like my sound and my stereo does go loud but the main reason is that I like nice quality sound. The ba "premium sound" is **** the only good thing is the colour screen. The only thing that annoys me is when someone is playing some music late at night on a weekday while you are trying to get some sleep at least turn it down in the suburbs like I do.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #30
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ummm nah not my thing at all. I like to listen to music, but I'm not a sound system person.

My car has a good sound system, but I don't really listen to it. I'm over the whole "Doof Doof" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
What I hate is when I hear some irresponsible and inconsiderate little bastard driving down my street at 2 or 3 in the morning with their window down, music loud as buggery with the sub blasting. People like that I would love to just get a pickaxe and stick a big hole in that system of theirs.
Even in broad daylight sometimes, it's annoying. Especially when it's the same little ***** going up and down, up and down the street.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post