Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Digital Oil Tester

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/19/l...eking-backers/

Quote:
Most of us maintain our vehicles either by the manufacturer's recommended service intervals or some arcane calendar handed down from generation to generation. Either way, changing a vehicle's oil is usually done on either a time or mileage basis, not the actual level of oil degradation inside the engine. A new startup project is looking to change that for the consumer with a device called the Lubricheck. Simply plop a few drops of oil onto the device's sensor, and it can automatically detect contaminates like metal and antifreeze as well as the acidity of the oil to determine the lubricant's serviceability.

The device even has settings for traditional and synthetic oils, so all of your bases are covered. Devices like these already exist in the market, but they cost a pretty penny and are typically relegated to the dark recesses of high-end mechanics' toolboxes. The individuals behind Lubricheck estimate that in some applications, oil could last as long as 10,000 miles before seeing significant breakdown.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...r-for-your-car

Hell, I would definitely use this every weekend!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Gomez

Default Re: Digital Oil Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubricheck Website
The combination of the two physics methods allows the accurately measurement of the quality of engine oil. The Lubricheck can determine acidity, metal particulate level, carbon level and any foreign liquids (except fuel).
Fuel dilution of oil is a major factor in the determination of an oils ability to perform.

The fact that this device can't measure fuel dilution, means that it's seriously compromised in my view.
Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
sudszy
Banned

Yep agree, not being able to check for fuel contamination is a concern, many cars do short trips on cold engines and knowing whether its really necessary to change the oil or not could extend the oil change for at least a year if the car doesnt get driven much.

Im sure there is probably a cheap paper test that could test for fuel, see what I can find out.

my recent territory comes with a 15000km service interval, obviously ford thinks the oils are good enough for that these days.

I also run a couple of vehicles on lpg, drop the oil out of these and it looks and feels brand new after 10000km, I reckon ive been throwing away perfectly good oil for years!
Yeh, they reckon the acidity builds up with lpg, well Ive measured that and found it a non issue, the cynic in me says its just a push from the oil companies to have us pay more for an lpg specific oil.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
I also run a couple of vehicles on lpg, drop the oil out of these and it looks and feels brand new after 10000km, I reckon ive been throwing away perfectly good oil for years!
Yeh, they reckon the acidity builds up with lpg, well Ive measured that and found it a non issue, the cynic in me says its just a push from the oil companies to have us pay more for an lpg specific oil.
It loses its viscosity as it gets old though, right?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Not really, its not a time thing, more due to use(beaten up in the engine), but that is what you can feel when you rub it between your fingers. One reason ive discarded the oil that Im guessing is probably still quite good, the finger test is a guide, not a certainty. Be good to know if the oil is still within specs, though I dont know how this device does it, how does it know what grade of oil its meant to be testing? and then deciding it in the correct viscosity range, how can it actually test whether the viscosity modifiers are functioning at engine operating temp etc.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I have observed many times that during the 15000km service intervals with dealer oil, the oil level suddenly starts dropping, and when draining when warm, a portion of the oil is quite runny, almost like water. Found this also when I drained the oil from my FG for the first time at 7500km.
I suspect that this is caused by the oil breaking down, that the base oil separates from the viscosity additives that provides the multigrade viscosity properties of the oil.
This is my main concern with using older oil, that sludge can form from the additives that have separated, also the throttle body becomes grimey from the fumes of the degraded oil passing through the PCV valve.
The oil I have been using the last few years shows a consistent viscosity each time when draining after even 15000km, and also found that it maintains a perfectly clean throttle body, which supports my above theory regarding oil degradation.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post