Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Lightbulb Building a Meguiars Kit!

Paging all Meguiars fanatics!

I need help to develop a Meguiar's 'kit' - basically I want to have all the products i'd need to keep the Focus in good nick. I bought the Vinyl and Rubber Protectant today and I'm very impressed with it. Bought 2 of their chamois' too.

Just going off the website I'm looking at getting the Quick Wax and possibly the Quick Detail - i have no idea how to wax or detail a car so the simpler it is, the better. From what i gather this stuff is just a matter of spraying on and wiping off the excess which sounds good to me.

I may go for some of the Gold Class wash too at a later stage, using a product now which im very happy with but it will run out soon.

So, am i on the right track or is there other products i should look at getting? Im not getting all fanatical about it, but i do want the best stuff i can get.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

B2TF, can you please post up the final list you come up with, I'd be very interested in doing the same too.

All I have at the moment is the soft wash gel (just ran out of gold class wash after 1.5 years) and the gold class wax... awesomestuff.

I'm going to also get the clay stick from SVR73 and some of his other stuff too.

I think you've hit o a good idea though, a "all you need" basic kit to keep the car nice and shiney.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Casper,

yep ill post it all up once i work out what to get. Basically i just want to have the cupboard stocked up with good quality stuff to keep it clean, and the idea behind using one Brand is that i can just buy the same stuff again when it runs out and not have to try other brands which may or may not work.

I must say i always thought the Meguiars thing about it being such good stuff was a load of bs but after trying this stuff this afternoon i can see why so many people use their products.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Casper,

yep ill post it all up once i work out what to get. Basically i just want to have the cupboard stocked up with good quality stuff to keep it clean, and the idea behind using one Brand is that i can just buy the same stuff again when it runs out and not have to try other brands which may or may not work.

I must say i always thought the Meguiars thing about it being such good stuff was a load of bs but after trying this stuff this afternoon i can see why so many people use their products.
Yeah, I was the same but the gold class wax is stunning to say the least. Top stuff. I recommend it for your cupboard. I'll keep getting it too.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I use Bowdens Own with the Meguirs Swirl Remover and Quick Wax ...

I only got the bucket of goodies last week as a gift but it is a top qualitiy product imho

I recommend you try it as I was a Meguiars boy until Bowdens converted me

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

That looks like a nice setup to have.

I cant say ive ever seen or heard of Bowden's Own stuff? Never seen it around here anywhere.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:17 PM   #7
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default Kits

Quote:

I cant say ive ever seen or heard of Bowden's Own stuff? Never seen it around here anywhere.
The microfibre is good quality but there is much better available. Have never tryed their wash or cleanser but basically if it's not well received at the site I frequent, I don't touch it.

A great kit for everyone would be

Ph 7 car wash - ie - not many actually are as balanced and wax/sealant safe as they claim
Ultra microfibre wash mitt
Two microfibre drying towels - waffle or tricot weave (have both)
Ultra microfibre glass cloth - no need for glass cleaners unless you want to fully polish and seal your glass
Quick detail spray - one that actually restores smoothness and adds protection.
Tire gel
Vinyl, rubber, plastic restorer, enhancer and protectant
microfibre hand applicator pads (square not round as it's all done by linear (side to side) motions not circular

Depending on how good you like your car to look, you can either leave it at that or go the following

Paint cleansing lotion
Clay bar or foam clay - to remove contaminants
Metal polish - cream, paste or my favourite - polishing soap
vinyl and rubber restorer and protectant
polymer, super polymer or acrylic-ceramic paint sealants
carnuaba or synthetic waxes

Bowden's own, meguiars and autoglym are the best over the counter products but there is a whole new world of products yet undiscovered by almost every australian and they are all free of acids, alcohol, ammonia, caustic alkalines, harsh solvents and organic compounds

What I use on my bus (SSR's are not used that much)

Four Star ultimate auto shampoo - cherry ripe (2 bucket method)
Black diamond heat reactive tyre gel (super polymer tyre sealant)
Clearkote vanilla moose (restore rubbers, vinyl, plastic mouldings, paint, glass, wheels)
American & korean ultra microfibre - 90,000 - 300,000 fibres per inch
Clearkote chocolate moose
Poorboys SSr 3, 2.5, 2 and 1 swirl removers

I could go on and on.

Last edited by SVR73; 02-05-2005 at 11:26 PM.
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:

Have a look at there website http://www.bowdensown.com.au/ you can buy stuff off there or at Autobarns. It is really good stuff the range is limited but what they do they do well.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
I use Bowdens Own with the Meguirs Swirl Remover and Quick Wax ...

I only got the bucket of goodies last week as a gift but it is a top qualitiy product imho

I recommend you try it as I was a Meguiars boy until Bowdens converted me
Good choice,i also recommend Bowdens Own......the best stuff around.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a great idea. I would be really interested to see what are the best products. I need some quality stuff to use on the XR. The focus is new, so i give it the standard wash and quick wax, but being silver doesn't nearly show as much as the XR. Top idea there Aussie
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 11:36 PM   #11
dxr88u
dye hard ford supporter

i never used Meguiars products before, have always used Mother's brand of products but

on the weekend i had to remove some overspray and crap that was on my paintwork .

my local store didn't have a clay bar in my prefered brand so i purchased the attached

kit and was very pleasantly surprised with the outcome. couldn't have higher praise for

the glass like feel and killer shine i now have on my car.

i am open to suggestions for other products and what results can

be achieved.
dxr88u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 11:56 PM   #12
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

A few weeks ago i tried the Meguires Gold Class Clear Coat Paste i did the boot lid but it dosn't feel all that smooth. anyone know why or what i need to do to get it to feel slick.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 12:06 AM   #13
SVR73
Mr Polish

clay is a wonder that's for sure.
Get the contaminants off with clay and use a good paint cleanser or even a polish if necessary
Old 03-05-2005, 12:34 AM   #14
gtfpv
GT

mate recently went through the same drama . i bought the mcguiars lambs wool wash mitt , the tech wax polish the tech wax car wash. the tyre gel 1 chamois the plastic protectant , the quick detailer and 3 blue microfiber polishing cloths they are all great but the chamios is ordinary . now the stuff i use renders the other mguiar products all obselete. its all mcguiars nxt generation . which is developed for brand new car paint . the older stuff is better for older cars than the new stuff.as the paint is differant. i am impressed to say the least. what i like about mcguiars is that they have a hotline on they're brocheres that you can get at anywhere that they're products are sold . ring this hotline and tell them the car , the , age , colour, and condition of your car and they will tell youwhich of thir products to use . i did this . they are great and they stand behind their stuff
their ph no. NSW is 0297379422. toll free is 1800804182

they will detail a kit for your specific car . i have nothing to do with them in any way . i am just an impressed customer.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 01:43 AM   #15
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

I am pretty particular about cleaning my XR. Have tried a few different brands but haven't been able to find anything that beats Meguires. (mostly)

Wash it with the Meguires Gold Class car wash. ($15 bottle lasted 2 years)
Meguires wheel cleaner.
Use the Meguires Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, makes it (literally) squeaky clean.
Then Meguires Deep Crystal Polish
Finish off with Meguires Deep Crystal Canubral Wax

I just use the generic products for the other stuff -
Windex for cleaning windows (but I've heard great things about the Meguires stuff)
So Easy for the tyres (the Meguires stuff spins off the wheels onto the car)

If I'm in a hurry I'll just give it a wash and then a wipe over with the 'Quik Detailer'....gets me through. I've got a 240volt polisher too which speeds up the process, still have to do it by hand in spots of course.

After some of the comments about the clay I might give it a go next time the Paint Cleaner runs out.

Panda
Old 03-05-2005, 05:27 AM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Confession

I am going to confess that I am obsessed about the finish on the Gecko and also a long term Meguires boy so this is what I use. By the way these are all meguires and I have not found anything better yet.

NXT generation polish and wash (glass like finsh that you could dive into but needs to be applied fairly often,when water doesn't bead I reapply)
Glass cleaner (magic stuff, tint safe and smells good)
Interior cleaner (works great and has a nice smell)
Interior wipes (not too much gloss, convenient wet ones type box)
Tyre Gel (again not too much gloss, looks more natural)
Trim detailer (love this stuff, helps keep the plastic looking new, great on the plastic under the bonnet, all mine is still black after 2 yrs)
Quik detailer (only on club days etc as a final prep, does not replace washing your car, requires a good coat of polish to work properly)
Lambs wool mit (nothing like a soft fluffy lamb to look after my paint)

All this keeps my baby looking great, even if it does cost me a small fortune. I have tried every short cut product and so called spray on shine in the past and have found that none of them work. There is no way to beat the shine that you get form a bit of hard work with some good quality polish and a soft terry towel. By the way the NXT stuff is very easy to apply (comes with cool applicator) and very easy to buff off (just don't use too much, less is more). I used to use Gold Class and this new stuff is way better.

I know there are other meguires products that I use but I can't think of them at the moment, I know I am in serious need of help as my obsession with my car goes to unhealthy levels (ask the missus)
Old 03-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah i had a good look at the NXT line of their stuff and the wash looks quite good. I'm going to go back and do some more homework today so i'll let you know how i go.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:46 PM   #18
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Someone will always say brand x is best etcetcetc.....and granted there could be better.
After 2 1/2yrs using Meguir's on my XR the condition of the paint is better than factory, its smooth as and shines.....Comments I get prove that the product is doing the job.
The tyre spray is schmick,smells great and has an adjustment at the spray nozzle for High Med Low profile rubber.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 03-05-2005 at 12:48 PM.
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 03:57 PM   #19
Sundeep
Banned

I hope this doesn't lead the thread OT, but how do you guys go about keeping the polishes/waxes away from black rubber and plastic parts, and out of badges etc so it doesn't leave residue?

I'm a gumby when it comes to waxing/polishing, I've never really done it properly because we've always had white cars. I might give it a go now, I have to give my paint a protective coating and will probably use the Meguiars stuff recommended here after I get some overspray off.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #20
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
I hope this doesn't lead the thread OT, but how do you guys go about keeping the polishes/waxes away from black rubber and plastic parts, and out of badges etc so it doesn't leave residue?

Sundeep
I use a warm water and a toothbrush to dislodge the hardest parts that you can't reach,, On the rubbers it should buff off, but abit of tyre shine on a rag kicks ***.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Addition number 2 to the 'kit' is ScratchX. Heard about it numerous times on here, and picked some up today to give it a go on the areas where i debadged the Focus, and stupidly used a plastic bristled brush to clean the residue off :.
Worked a treat! Definately recommend this stuff as Ive already found a few more spots on mine and Dad's cars where it'll come in very handy.

The next task is to remove the buildup of watermarks due to me "misplacing my chamois". Any recommendations as to what product to use for this? Im going to buy some of the Gel Wash tomorrow but if there's a specific product to remove watermarks (i had a look on the website and couldnt find one) I'll get it too.

So far my kit consists of:

* Vinyl and Rubber Protectant
* 2x Chamois
* ScratchX

And coming will be:
* Gel Wash
* Tyre spray
* Quick Detail Spray
* Leather/Cloth Protectant (not sure on the actual product name)
Old 03-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #22
bscampbell

Quote:
* 2x Chamois
Use microfibre, not a chamois...apparently they put fine scratches in the paint...is that right SVR73?
Reminds me to get a microfibre cloth too...

I bought the NXT Generation Tech Wax ($36), and Wash ($19)...very nice.
The wash comes in 'antistatic' and 'spotless' forms...I have the antistatic, but dust still sticks to it!!!
Made the BA sparkle, and improved the old XFs deteriorating paint!
It was the first time I had 'treated' the BA to a good clean since getting it!

Can anyone suggest how I can make my XF shine again, short of a respray?
It's silver, and the paint is thinning, particularly along the door edges and on some body panels. The clear coat is also coming off in some spots.
What sort of tender care can I give her? She looks sad after working on the BA!

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #23
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I use the Quick WAX on watermarks, birdshit and tree sap. Thats all you should need. A light mist and presto all the marks are gone without leaving a noticeable clean spot.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thats exactly what im after then. How do you do it? Wash the car as usual then apply it?
Old 03-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #25
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Thats exactly what im after then. How do you do it? Wash the car as usual then apply it?
If it is only watermarks (not dirt or dust or anything abrasive) no need to wash, just spray the quick wax on then buff it off

Old 03-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #26
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

B2F, you haven't seen the boot of my car yet have you? lol I think there's a photo laying around of it somewhere. The idea being the car can be cleaned anywhere at any time on any cruise, because you can never know what might happen. In fact I must say the boot contents have been accessed on quite a number of cruises.

At the moment I think the following items are still in there:

3 bottles of Quik Detailer,
2 Quik Wax,
The NXT Gen Car wash,
Lambs wool mitt,
2 Chamois (1 external 1 for engine bay)
about a dozen micro fibre cloths (that are well overdue for the washing machine)
Scratch X
NXT Gen Tech Wax
A couple of wax applicators

In fact I think a whole bottle of trim detailer somehow drained into the boot carpet, damn the car smelt good for a while, so I took that out, and the tyre gel - that makes a nasty mess in the boot as well.

I also get comments about the car appearing well under the k's that she's done, outside, inside and underneath.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 03-05-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #27
b2tf
not here much anymore

Darky no i havent seen your boot but when i thought of Meguiars I thought of you :hihi:.

Sounds like you should develop a "Dark Kit" and we could just buy it straight from you, be set for life.

Seriously though, i am very impressed with what Ive seen so far, and to be honest for the money im paying for this stuff it would want to be good. Im by no means a fanatic about keeping the car clean but ive decided to go all out with the Focus and pamper it as best i can.

Racecraft - its just watermarks from not using the chamois to dry it, and because i wahs it daily i dont think there'd be any dust in there (just give it a once over with the high pressure rinse at Carlovers on the way home from work). I'll get some of the wax and give it a go.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #28
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
In fact I must say the boot contents have been accessed on quite a number of cruises.
Yes i will concur to this statement, had to use the emergency dark Meguires kit one night when we were out cruising. My XR got struck by alot of bird poop. Is quick detailer sorted the problem.

Quote:
I also get comments about the car appearing well under the k's that she's done, outside, inside and underneath.
I will agree to this as well, the Darkmobile looks very very clean despite not having a garage.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #29
SVR73
Mr Polish

Chamois, either natural or synthetic still have their place but I personally don't believe it's for drying the paint anymore
I hate wringing one out every ten seconds and the lines and marks left behind, especially on glass turned me off of them
The synthetic ones are made from poly vinyl alcohol and it's the alcohol that strips or at least weakens sealants and the leathers can be sticky at times

To get the most out of your natural chamois, wash it by hand with some washing soap (lux or similar), (not the hand wash ones though) and they will work better if your paint is smooth.
The smoother it is, the easier it will work and leave less lines

However an ultra microfibre drying towel will never leave marks or lines, will never scratch and no wringing. One towel for a small - mid sized car, two for large cars.
Again the smoother and cleaner the paint is, the easier to use.
I fold mine twice to give a good cushion between hand and the surface

Will outlast a chamois hands down.
Using a damp chamois to remove dust from dashboards or to quickly clean a cloth seat with a spray bottle filled with water and a dash of dishwashing liquid is great though
Old 03-05-2005, 08:07 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
Chamois, either natural or synthetic still have their place but I personally don't believe it's for drying the paint anymore
I hate wringing one out every ten seconds and the lines and marks left behind, especially on glass turned me off of them
The synthetic ones are made from poly vinyl alcohol and it's the alcohol that strips or at least weakens sealants and the leathers can be sticky at times

To get the most out of your natural chamois, wash it by hand with some washing soap (lux or similar), (not the hand wash ones though) and they will work better if your paint is smooth.
The smoother it is, the easier it will work and leave less lines

However an ultra microfibre drying towel will never leave marks or lines, will never scratch and no wringing. One towel for a small - mid sized car, two for large cars.
Again the smoother and cleaner the paint is, the easier to use.
I fold mine twice to give a good cushion between hand and the surface

Will outlast a chamois hands down.
Using a damp chamois to remove dust from dashboards or to quickly clean a cloth seat with a spray bottle filled with water and a dash of dishwashing liquid is great though
That sounds like a better option as I'm all too familiar with the streaks on the glass syndrome. Shits me cos sometimes you just cannot get it right.
I'll have a look round for a microfibre cloth - whats the best way to maintain the cloth? Give it a good rinse before using etc?