Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
GK351

Default Family Car for wife & bubba

Hey all,

We are expecting our first baby in four months and my wife wants to upgrade
the 400k+ AU.

She likes the Toyota RAV4 or the new shape VW golf. I am not really convinced about the two and would like to know what others in my situation
would be looking at buying.

Mind you she does not want another falcon which is a bit hard for me to take in. :

Cheers.

GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

Golf. Unbeatable fuel economy, build quality, reliability, resale value and saftey in its class.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
Paxton
Cobblers!

I bought the Mrs. a Mazda6 for the same reasons. When it came to convenience with boot space and Back Seat area, I lost my Territory, and have been driving the said Mazda.

One thing to consider when you are looking at cars like a Golf is the size of the Boot. Take your pram along when looking at the cars, and get your Mrs. to lift the Pram into the boot of the cars you are looking at. If she has trouble, or thinks that the boot will be too small (or the Pram doesn't fit) move along. It is a great help when looking at cars. In hindsight, I wish we did the same thing.

If you want another Ford, try a Focus. I have not driven one, however the Reviews seem good.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the Golf/Jetta are great cars, the Jetta has a bigger boot than a Falcon, and i love the DSG transmission. If you're not going off road, you cant beat the Jetta 2.0 TDI 6 spd manual or 6 spd DSG you would be thrilled with it.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I bought the Mrs. a Mazda6 for the same reasons. When it came to convenience with boot space and Back Seat area, I lost my Territory, and have been driving the said Mazda.

One thing to consider when you are looking at cars like a Golf is the size of the Boot. Take your pram along when looking at the cars, and get your Mrs. to lift the Pram into the boot of the cars you are looking at. If she has trouble, or thinks that the boot will be too small (or the Pram doesn't fit) move along. It is a great help when looking at cars. In hindsight, I wish we did the same thing.

If you want another Ford, try a Focus. I have not driven one, however the Reviews seem good.
was about to mention these 2 cars, im buying my missus a focus because of the boot space (dont have kids.......yet : ) and my ma is buying the mazda 6 classic sports hatch. huge boot and a nice car too for a mazda.
Old 13-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

: e didn't read the whole thread. nice car i like the colour
Old 29-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK5766
Family Car for wife & bubba
Sounds like a fair swap to me. Can I get a pic of your car first? lol

Can't go past the falcons. About the only car you can put a baby seat in the middle, and still get 2 adults comfortably in the back, or even 3 baby seats across the back seat. Plus the newer ones get a 4 or 5 star safety rating, and I'd much rather be in a large car in an accident than a small one.

The terry would also fit into the "Falcon" category (for you, but not her), seeing it is just a falcon on roids (or is that carbs). For her, it's not a falcon, but a large Rav4.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #8
gcm

If it was me I'd be keeping her as far away as I could from the rav4. Was the first on the scene of a accident involving a late model rav4 and a mid/late 90's magna earlier this year in Young. The rav4 was destroyed from the front and the dash had actually moved up invading the cabin to the point where the keys were jammed behind plastic as well as the drivers door being extremely difficult to open from a passenger front side impact. By comparison the magna which was hit front drivers side, while still being a write off, maitained usage of the drivers door. The worst part was both vehicles were travelling less than 60kph! If it was me i'm be pushing a sedan / hatch.........
Old 30-04-2007, 03:16 AM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcm
If it was me I'd be keeping her as far away as I could from the rav4. Was the first on the scene of a accident involving a late model rav4 and a mid/late 90's magna earlier this year in Young. The rav4 was destroyed from the front and the dash had actually moved up invading the cabin to the point where the keys were jammed behind plastic as well as the drivers door being extremely difficult to open from a passenger front side impact. By comparison the magna which was hit front drivers side, while still being a write off, maitained usage of the drivers door. The worst part was both vehicles were travelling less than 60kph! If it was me i'm be pushing a sedan / hatch.........
The above is just part of the reason I say Japanese cars, especially Toyota, are no good. The Golf she likes would not have been a write off if it hit a RAV4 head on. If its a 2.0 TDI model it'll average 5L/100km, have enough power to accelerate like a BA Falcon Six, whilst outlasting one and winning on resale in the long run.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Golf Diesel would be a great option. You have got to love the torque that the turbo diesel produces. Pushes you back in to you seat when the turbo spools up at about 1750rpm.
What about a Peugeot 307 Touring wagon like we have? Monster boot of about 500L, which expands to well over 1000L with the back seats folded down. We're averaging ~6.3L/100km with the 2.0L Turbo Diesel getting approximately 900kms out of about 60L of diesel. The 1.6L HDi is even more efficient.
Now, we don't have any kids (yet), but you could easily fit 1 pram in the boot, and possibly even 2!
Old 29-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #11
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Well, your wife did say no falcons, but im sure owning a commonwhore wouldnt kill? (a wagon that is)
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 12:55 AM   #12
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Cant go past a R32 Golf, 3.2 litre V6, 184 kw, AWD. 6 Speed Manual or semi auto (SMG) , 3 or 5 door.
If thats too pricey, being mid 50's, go the GTI version, not as quick, 2lt 147kw, 15 second quarter with the semi auto, 15.4 with the manual. However its $40,000 give or take $2000.

If this doesn't appeal to you have you thought about the Mazda 6 MPS.
The luxury pack is really nice inside, all leather, heated(I think) electric seats, 3.2 lt Turbo 190kw, AWD. Thats what the future wife wants and I won't mind because I would have fun going to get the groceries.

The other staid family car I would consider is a Subaru Liberty GT spec B, 184 kw AWD. Its full of leather and like a WRX Sti but for grown ups. Also doesn't have that ricer, boy racer look to them which i'm sure will make your wife happy.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 01:03 AM   #13
mrnsx
Crash test pilot

id honestly go for a honda civic or toyota corolla (not my cup of tea, but great on fuel and resale value).

i wont go for rav 4 or any high car cauz of the roll issues.

Newest Addition

Holden Barina 2004
6L per 100k :
66kw :

Old Collection..

Falcon BA
Toyota Celica
Kawasaki zxr
Ford Festiva
Nissan 180sx
Daihatsu Feroza
mrnsx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #14
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's for the wife, the toyota camry may be a good option.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 01:19 AM   #15
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

I think the car is for both wife and husband, therefore any thoughts of buying a corolla or especially a camry! should be quelled quickly before the poor blokes starts to seriously commit suicide. I wouldn't wish a camry on my worst enemy

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 02:24 AM   #16
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get a new fairmont. She wont know its a classy falcon

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 09:02 AM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ford Territory TX would be my choice of car for wife / baby fitted with rear cargo barrier. Loads of room and easy access to the rear.

Golf Diesel too small, no boot space!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #18
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Golf Diesel too small, no boot space!
Jetta Diesel then :P

When oh when are Ford going to release the diesel Territory? Would get one of those to replace the EL if it was available and I was looking at getting rid of the EL :
Old 30-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #19
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Although the Golf is a great car consider the Honda CRV , they are a great Mum's car with young kids...good for the pram etc. they are reliable car and the finish quality is excellant
I'm thinking of upgrading to the bigger version the luxury 4WD Honda MDX.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #20
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Coming from experience forget the Golf !
Too small in the rear and boot space is nothing with pram already in boot then fill it up with the weekly shopping etc.....
My wife loved the Civic's but after 2 kids leaning over buckling the kids up and lack of room forget it.
CRV's ! She loves it ! Can't go wrong with them quality to boot.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #21
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Default RAV4....Crumple to much

I'd be going the Golf...

Passed a RAV4 on Saturday which had been run up the rear by a magna...Holy Crap, you think it was made from cardboard. The back tailgate was up over the rear wheel. Would want my wife and child in an armoured tank if possible.....

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #22
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK5766
Hey all,

We are expecting our first baby in four months and my wife wants to upgrade
the 400k+ AU.

She likes the Toyota RAV4 or the new shape VW golf. I am not really convinced about the two and would like to know what others in my situation
would be looking at buying.

Mind you she does not want another falcon which is a bit hard for me to take in. :

Cheers.
Was in the same position a few months ago, considered ....

Territory (too thirsty)
Mazda 6 wagon (didn't like the wagons exterior styling)
Legacy/Liberty wagon

The Legacy won based on
AWD
exceptional crash test rating
excellent boot space
exterior looks/nice interior

waiting for the new Mondeo wagon could be a good option

Forget hatchbacks there just ain't enough space in the boot

Last edited by MAGPIE; 30-04-2007 at 04:43 PM.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #23
BlackLS

Focus Ghia sedan with Zetec wheels and kit.

Wait for the diesel to come out, another idea is the new Mondeo.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #24
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't get a small hatch they are WAY top mallk. We got an Audi A3 which is a great car feels solid good safety, good fuel etc. But once you install a baby capsule and chuck in the pram in the back....there is no room for anything else. The front passanger seat needs to be moved all the way forward to install the capsule in the back making the passanger seat useless for anyone taller than 5 foot 2. Forget about putting any shopping in the back with a pram in there.

Subaru Outback not to big not too small and very good safety stats.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #25
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Good choices Stefan and Magpie.
I liked the Liberty wagons but she loved the black CRV, the other ppl recommending these small hatch's or 4 door little things do you have kids ? I doubt it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #26
2002auxr6
Drunk!

i was thinking new typhoon
Old 30-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #27
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Renault Scenic – it’s meant to be coming out in a diesel variant soon
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #28
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Our BA wagon has a hard time fitting in the giant offroad pram with a couple of grocery bags, would have no hope in toycar or small SUV, Falcon wagon is a great family car, E-Gas would be even better.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #29
GK351

Ok after reading the follow ups with my wife she is turned off from RAV4's due to the
cardboard comment and we both reluctantly think the VW golf is a little small
for prams,shopping and getaways, jetta would be nice mabye later on in life.

So now we will be looking at either a Honda CRV or if i can convince her the BF XR's

Thanks for the replies.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #30
Cooper69S

Personally I'd steer well clear of the CRV - unless the just released model is a lot better than the previous one. We got one of the previous shape as a work car a few months ago. I picked it up brand new from our head office (13km on the clock) and ever since i've tended to look with pity at the poor folk who've forked out their own money for one. good old column shift auto with a weird handbrake arrangement that comes out from the dash. cd player looks like it was $49 from k-mart, massive amounts of road noise, ok on-road performance but pretty awful off-road. previously we had a nissan x-trail and at the last site i was at we had a 2003 Rav4. except for the crashworthiness problems mentioned by people here i would have put both the nissan and toyota well ahead of the crv.

i've heard a couple of people with young kids who reckon the extra height of these small 4wd's is great for doing things like changing kids nappies in the back and all that fun stuff. also before you forget the rav entirely, might be worth checking the independent crash test data to see if its actually any worse than its rivals...

others on here have mentioned the mazda6. we bought one for my wife (classic hatch)and its an awesome car. great performance and handling, best in its class for fuel economy and resale value as well as loaded with features and plenty of room... i was recently comparing the mazda6 to a VL 5L - same kw's, same weight, roughly same size, close to same performance, except the mazda does it with less than half the engine size and probably not much more than half the fuel consumption - amazing how much technology has improved things...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post