Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Diesel Cars

Does anyone else the days of the Diesel Car maybe numbered? Euro VII emission standards will be tighter and Car makers are struggling with the current regulations will it be the end of the Diesel?
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Diesel Cars

http://www.dieselmechanicguide.com/t...nd-its-future/
Old 25-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

They can make cars park themselves these days, so I'm sure they can meet stricter emission controls
Old 25-08-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302 View Post
They can make cars park themselves these days, so I'm sure they can meet stricter emission controls
Doubtful, they can't do it now without cheating.
Say goodbye to the stinkers...
Old 26-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Doubtful, they can't do it now without cheating.
Say goodbye to the stinkers...
Goodbye!
Old 26-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302 View Post
Goodbye!
Old 25-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

No,
Dpf, adblue, etc etc.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
Does anyone else the days of the Diesel Car maybe numbered? Euro VII emission standards will be tighter and Car makers are struggling with the current regulations will it be the end of the Diesel?
We can only hope.
Stinky POS.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-08-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
We can only hope.
Stinky POS.
Wash your mouth out...........
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We can only hope.
Stinky POS.
Never knew we had tree huggers on this forum. 😜
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Never knew we had tree huggers on this forum. 😜
Love it bro, 1L 4 pots FTW!

Nah, it's more for the below reasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
When a diesel becomes the less economic purchase, it will be at its end.
they can make them meet regulations with DPF adblue etc but it can subtract performance or add to running costs.

bigger vehicles, will still hold their own for a while yet.

But that still doesn't stop people who only drive 10,000 kms a year Buying a diesel Holden Cruise for 3 grand more than the Petrol model..
Bingo!
Diesels are great in trucks and really big 4WD's, but in the smaller cars it's a complete toss.
Many people people buy diesels because it's trendy.
Old 26-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #12
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Love it bro, 1L 4 pots FTW!

Nah, it's more for the below reasons...

Bingo!
Diesels are great in trucks and really big 4WD's, but in the smaller cars it's a complete toss.
Many people people buy diesels because it's trendy.
How is it a complete toss for anyone who doesn't have a 4WD to buy a diesel?? Sure, I get the argument that if you only go 10,000km's a year the fuel savings wont cover the up front extra cost unless you own the thing for 10 year or something...

I'll use my case as an example... I was looking for a mid size sedan that was comfy, looked good and still had a bit of grunt/fun to drive (I wasn't allowed to get an XR8/XR6T or SSVR at the time as we needed to save $$$$ for our house build). I found and loved the MY15 Mazda 6 and wanted one as I think they look awesome, its comfy and has plenty of equipment for the $$$. I drove both the Petrol and Diesel and the diesel one was a MUCH nicer drive.. Heaps more Grunt/torque than the petrol and it the seat of the pants I was sold... To spec a diesel instead of a petrol at Retail was $3200 which I thought was a bit rich. THey had the model I wanted in Stock, on the yard, in diesel.. I ended up getting it for thousands less than a petrol one anyway so the premium wasn't relevant to me... To say that's I was being a "toss" or trying to be "trendy" when I made that decision is just plain silly... I bought what I thought was the MUCH better drive...

The fact that it tow's my 4.75m boat like a dream, gets 700+km to a tank is just a bonus...

FYI - I do between 25 and 30k Km's per year...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
How is it a complete toss for anyone who doesn't have a 4WD to buy a diesel?? Sure, I get the argument that if you only go 10,000km's a year the fuel savings wont cover the up front extra cost unless you own the thing for 10 year or something...

I'll use my case as an example... I was looking for a mid size sedan that was comfy, looked good and still had a bit of grunt/fun to drive (I wasn't allowed to get an XR8/XR6T or SSVR at the time as we needed to save $$$$ for our house build). I found and loved the MY15 Mazda 6 and wanted one as I think they look awesome, its comfy and has plenty of equipment for the $$$. I drove both the Petrol and Diesel and the diesel one was a MUCH nicer drive.. Heaps more Grunt/torque than the petrol and it the seat of the pants I was sold... To spec a diesel instead of a petrol at Retail was $3200 which I thought was a bit rich. THey had the model I wanted in Stock, on the yard, in diesel.. I ended up getting it for thousands less than a petrol one anyway so the premium wasn't relevant to me... To say that's I was being a "toss" or trying to be "trendy" when I made that decision is just plain silly... I bought what I thought was the MUCH better drive...

For starters, as you plainly said, you were looking for a large car, not small.
Would you have bought a Mazda 2 in Diesel?

You then go on to admit that you drive upto 30kk a year AND tow a boat. Both of which give a big advantage to the diesel and was not at all what he was talking about.

Furthermore, just because you negotiated a good deal on last year's model, doesn't negate the FACT that diesels are invariably more expensive than their petrol cousins, sometimes ridiculously so.
Crazy Dazz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Firstly, I said really big 4WD.
Secondly, I was quoting someone who mentioned driving only 10k a year.

If you think buying a small car with a diesel for 3k over the petrols price, doing less than 10k a year, and keeping it for 4 years is anything other than a complete toss and just trying to be trendy, then I have nothing.

So many people do this.
Quote:

The fact that it tow's my 4.75m boat like a dream, gets 700+km to a tank is just a bonus...

FYI - I do between 25 and 30k Km's per year...
Good for you.

However, you didn't get it less than the petrol.
Comparing like for like, the diesel is always more, nature of the beast.

Plenty petrol powered cars tow 4.75m boats like a dream.
Plenty petrol powered cars get 700+km to a tank.

I've driven plenty diesel cars VS the petrol brother and I generally prefer the petrol for response and power, they also make far better noises.

The servicing costs of diesels are significantly higher.
They are much more fussy for quality fuel.
They have catastrophic failures all too regularly and are incredibly expensive to repair.

The list goes on and on.
Sure they're better than they once were, however they're also taken a few steps back in some areas (mainly complexity).
The significant advantage a diesel once had over it's petrol brother is all but gone.

But, it's trendy.
Old 25-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Internal combustion engines are near the end. They'll end up like manuals. In the mean time both diesel and petrol will continue.
Old 25-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #16
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

nope. and they are putting particulate filters on gasoline cars now too
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Turbo diesel is the most economic way for SUV though . Running right hardly any smells .,
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #18
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Euro 7 might be tighter but we are still on Euro 4.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2016, 11:04 PM   #19
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

funny how they cant do it on a 25k car but they can make it work on a 250k piece of Sh!te Scania primemover

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #20
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a reasonable question, and in fact I think (based only on the little I have read) that some manufacturers are going away from them. For a good while there European makers were going nuts with diesels, even putting tiny little TD's in little bus-biscuits. (Probably still are.) I think that trend will reverse, with such "city cars" trending more towards small eco-boost types, hybrids, and even batteries.

For your large SUVs though, no I can't see that happening.

It's a bit like the first generation of unleaded cars. The guvment said you had to fit catalytic convertors, so everyone did, not withstanding that they didn't work (and couldn't possibly with the technology of the time.) But the pressures of the ever tightening emissions standards changed that.
Similar thing will happen with diesels. They will tune them to work better with Cats and DPFs, they may lose some power and economy, but they will make them comply.
Old 26-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #21
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they can make them meet regulations with DPF adblue etc but it can subtract performance or add to running costs.

But that still doesn't stop people who only drive 10,000 kms a year Buying a diesel Holden Cruise for 3 grand more than the Petrol model..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #22
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post

This.

I talked my folks out of a diesel Subaru Outback when Dad retired, they bought the petrol variant & have done bugger all k's since.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #23
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

450Nm+ isn't trendy it's FUN!
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #24
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Australia, the Mazda6 is sold with a 2.5l SkyActiv-G petrol or 2.2l SkyActiv-D twin-turbo diesel four-cylinder engine, offering 138 kW/250Nm and 129 kW/420Nm respectively

the diesel has a 0-100 @ 8.4 sec
the Petrol has a 0-100 @ 8.2 sec

The Petrol doesn't set the world on fire so I can see why you went with the diesel since your purchased at the same price.

Incidentally I bought a diesel for less than the price of the Petrol too, which makes the decision much easier.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #25
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love my diesels and certainly hope they will be with us for a long time yet. Nothing beats them for towing or economy in the real world.

I agree with Big Daz re the driving experience. Wifey and I were after a new small car several years ago and test drove just about every four banger on the planet. I was starting to think that we were wasting our time and probably needed to go back to a six.

Then we test drove our little turbo diesel hatch and instantly fell in love with the power delivery. It's been with us eight years now and the only way I'll pry it from her is to buy her another turbo diesel!

The little thing hasn't missed a beat either.

Russ
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #26
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The "economics" of diesels can be an interesting exercise.

I was the Commercial Manager for a large mining company, with most employees resident in Kalgoorlie. We had a large fleet of Prado's that were salary packaged as part of senior employees packages.
These cars did a lot of k's because it was a 250k round trip just to get to work every day.
Diesel Prados were very popular, and there was often a delay.
In contrast dealers were always offering great deals on the petrol.
We ran the numbers again, and again, and because of the way FBT works, it was always cheaper to go with Petrol.
(Although I always suspected that had we been in a position to profit on the resale, after the leases ended, then I'm sure the diesels were more attractive on the 2nd hand market.)
Old 26-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #27
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't get me wrong, I love driving my son's Patrol. It is the 4.2TD.
SO MUCH torque, you just can't stall it.
It's even pretty good on the freeway/ highway, once you get it up to speed, it just tonks along.
But a performance option it aint.
Old 26-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #28
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diesels are useless at busy roundabouts in peak hour. Unless you like left foot braking or pulling out slowly in front of people.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #29
.:4:.
Kicking back

I drive a diesel ranger for a work car and it is good on fuel, predictably slow (no small gaps pulling out of side streets) and tows well. It doesn't notice the extra load too much. Good for a work ute that's for work. That being said. I tow my 5.8m fibreglass boat with its 460kg sterndrive with my petrol falcon. Fuel economy goes up, but I don't care, it's got way more go under an extra 1500kg load then the 2.2 ranger, even though the torque ratings are within 15 nm.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #30
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I drive a diesel ranger for a work car and it is good on fuel, predictably slow (no small gaps pulling out of side streets) and tows well. It doesn't notice the extra load too much. Good for a work ute that's for work. That being said. I tow my 5.8m fibreglass boat with its 460kg sterndrive with my petrol falcon. Fuel economy goes up, but I don't care, it's got way more go under an extra 1500kg load then the 2.2 ranger, even though the torque ratings are within 15 nm.
The 2.2 ranger ....phttt for towing

If you had 3.2 in the ranger I would guarantee your falcon would be parked up when you tow your boat.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post