Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: should police be involved in high speed chases
yes 35 62.50%
no 21 37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
blkvt8

Default should police stop high speed chases

in the light of recent events should the police stop trying to pull over highly speeding drivers .....
also should the police be blamed for other peoples actions ... like mmmm maby some scum bag stealing a car, killing a famly and him self and nealy his girlfriend

Old 22-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How it is now is ok , chase them down back off in built up area's or when it reaches excessive speeds .
Old 22-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

As above.

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 22-03-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Double post.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

1) Police should continue high speed chases following all the procedures and protocols that are in place already.

2) A police officer should not be held to blame if the chase has a bad outcome as long as they followed the procedures and protocols mentioned in point 1.
Old 23-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
1) Police should continue high speed chases following all the procedures and protocols that are in place already.

2) A police officer should not be held to blame if the chase has a bad outcome as long as they followed the procedures and protocols mentioned in point 1.
What he said.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Confused.

Poll: should police be involved in high speed chases

Subject: should police stop high speed chases

Contradict each other - this poll is meaningless.
Old 23-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Confused.

Poll: should police be involved in high speed chases

Subject: should police stop high speed chases

Contradict each other - this poll is meaningless.
I have CLOSED THE POLL due to above reasons.

Asking one question in the thread title and then the opposite question in the poll itself does not bode well for accurate results :

Thread remains open for comments but poll is now locked.
Old 23-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont chase them.. Shoot the bastard's..
Old 23-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

It defiantly needs reviewing.....

To say this is the only way is wrong, with that attitude we would all still be living in caves.....

And no I don’t blame the police, they are constrained by procedures, and it’s this that needs reviewing.....

10 dead in Qld alone as a result of these situations is more than enough writing on the wall for me.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 23-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige

Ditto out:

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, I'll back that!
Old 24-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I agree with this and we could blend this in with Geckos suggestion

Police - Driver is attempting to get away at high speed
Control - Negioate with driver and advise not to travel at high speed
Police - Negioation sent at 1000 metres per second
Police - Negioation concluded
Control - Nice shot

As for a serious answer I think its difficult issue thats needs to be looked at in case by case scenario - But Police should have the right to be able to uphold the law. If Police were not allowed to chase how many more drivers would run and put all of us at risk.

Question if police were no longer able to chase would the driver in question abide by the road rules? I think not - they were already doing something wrong to attract police attention in the first place.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 24-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea to me, people who steal other peoples cars are low life scum!

And that woman on ACA last night who blamed the police and not her daughters idiot boyfriend is just as stupid as him :
Old 25-03-2010, 01:38 AM   #14
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
That should have been what happened here in W.A last week.

As for cops not getting into high speed car chases. I think it is appropriate for them to do so, they are normally chasing a potentially dangerous person to society. By letting them speed off they will ultimately let them escape to possibly murder, rape, rob etc, again.

The public is partially to blame here, I always look left and right when approaching sets of lights, roundabouts etc. You never know what is going to happen and on many occasions doing his has avoided accidents, usually idiots not looking when going through a roundabout. People need to be more aware. How many people ever actually check their mirrors? People have radios up full blast, nothing wrong with that so long as you are checking your mirrors and watching what is going on around (traffic wise). You could also say car manufacturers are to blame for constantly making cars more sound proof.

However at the end of the day it comes back to the idiot in the pursuit happy to gamble with the communities safety. It is just we as the community need to be more aware of our surroundings.

Last edited by EDfutura25; 25-03-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 25-03-2010, 02:26 AM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
That should have been what happened here in W.A last week.

As for cops not getting into high speed car chases. I think it is appropriate for them to do so, they are normally chasing a potentially dangerous person to society. By letting them speed off they will ultimately let them escape to possibly murder, rape, rob etc, again.

The public is partially to blame here, I always look left and right when approaching sets of lights, roundabouts etc. You never know what is going to happen and on many occasions doing his has avoided accidents, usually idiots not looking when going through a roundabout. People need to be more aware. How many people ever actually check their mirrors? People have radios up full blast, nothing wrong with that so long as you are checking your mirrors and watching what is going on around (traffic wise). You could also say car manufacturers are to blame for constantly making cars more sound proof.

However at the end of the day it comes back to the idiot in the pursuit happy to gamble with the communities safety. It is just we as the community need to be more aware of our surroundings.
Very well said, look after your own safety because eveyone else is out to kill you.
Old 25-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Very well said, look after your own safety because eveyone else is out to kill you.
It was how I was taught to drive. I was taught to have a mentality of everyone else on the road is an idiot.

Also driving ambulances helps make you aware. I think people think I am crazy when they beat me through the roundabout even though I have lights and sirens on. The amount of idiots I have had to stop for because they either take no notice or just don't give a toss is amazing. I was behind a mini van one day, could not go around due to amount of traffic coming in opposite direction, there was plenty of room on the side of the road and even though I changed the tone of the siren 4 times once to warn him I am coming (I do not tail gate, I always give ample time for them to realise I am coming) and 3 times whilst being 2 car lengths away, he continued making me do 40kph behind him, I finally got around when the road became 2 lanes. The guy in the back was having a heart attack. I have kind of gone of topic but it just goes to show people either do not care or take no notice.
Old 25-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
It was how I was taught to drive. I was taught to have a mentality of everyone else on the road is an idiot.

Also driving ambulances helps make you aware. I think people think I am crazy when they beat me through the roundabout even though I have lights and sirens on. The amount of idiots I have had to stop for because they either take no notice or just don't give a toss is amazing. I was behind a mini van one day, could not go around due to amount of traffic coming in opposite direction, there was plenty of room on the side of the road and even though I changed the tone of the siren 4 times once to warn him I am coming (I do not tail gate, I always give ample time for them to realise I am coming) and 3 times whilst being 2 car lengths away, he continued making me do 40kph behind him, I finally got around when the road became 2 lanes. The guy in the back was having a heart attack. I have kind of gone of topic but it just goes to show people either do not care or take no notice.
Yep, treat them all as idiots until proven otherwise.

The sort of thing you talk about happens a number of times each shift up here in Brisbane (god I detest QLD drivers).
Old 25-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
The public is partially to blame here, I always look left and right when approaching sets of lights, roundabouts etc. You never know what is going to happen and on many occasions doing his has avoided accidents, usually idiots not looking when going through a roundabout.
Absolutely.

Green light doesn't mean - 'everyone is obeying the road rules, you're free to travel into the intersection, oblivious to everything that's around you'.

However, I probably don't look as far down the road to anticipate being hit at 200+kph though.
Old 23-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oppps.... how on earth can i retract my vote?!?!?!?!??!!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 23-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #20
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Yes there may be a requirement for better methods of apprehending dangerous drivers such as helicopter etc, but the simple fact is the police need to be able to chase and apprehend these dangerous fools.

By the way, the difference between the thread title and the poll questions is a bit confusing. Also polls get better results if the original post is not so heavily biased.
Old 23-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on the severity of the crime. If the chasee is a highly dangerous armed robber, psycopathic murderer wanted in all 8 states and territories then by all means chase him but if he's a simply a petty car thief or shoplifter then maybe not
Old 23-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #22
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Depends on the severity of the crime. If the chasee is a highly dangerous armed robber, psycopathic murderer wanted in all 8 states and territories then by all means chase him but if he's a simply a petty car thief or shoplifter then maybe not
How do you determine which category they fall in before you get them stopped?
Old 23-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
By the way, the difference between the thread title and the poll questions is a bit confusing.
That's correct....my vote means nothing as my answer was in relation to the thread question before realising the poll question was the exact reversal....

My answer to the thread question: Yes....

To the poll question: No....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 23-03-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 23-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #24
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

no CHASE them, people are trained to be AWARE on the roads, the problem is that no one is, and NO I'm not placing the blame on family's killed in light of recent events the fault of that lies DIRECTLY with the moron waste of oxygen who decided to steel the car in the first place, but if people were more aware of what is going on around them and stopped following the bonnet of their car and thinking everything was ok then we would have less crashes full stop, one thing I got taught a while back was regardless of 'right or wrong' you cant argue that point if your dead...

the issue of the crashes lies squarely in the hands of the one breaking the law in the first place, DONT try and blame the cops for that, can you imagine how they felt when they turned up to the scene? the problem with asking this question on a forum or in the papers is that you have armchair bandits who have NEVER been in that situation nor would have the balls to do the job of the officers involved, so in turn have NO right to comment.

rant off.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 23-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #25
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
no CHASE them, people are trained to be AWARE on the roads, the problem is that no one is, and NO I'm not placing the blame on family's killed in light of recent events the fault of that lies DIRECTLY with the moron waste of oxygen who decided to steel the car in the first place, but if people were more aware of what is going on around them and stopped following the bonnet of their car and thinking everything was ok then we would have less crashes full stop, one thing I got taught a while back was regardless of 'right or wrong' you cant argue that point if your dead...

the issue of the crashes lies squarely in the hands of the one breaking the law in the first place, DONT try and blame the cops for that, can you imagine how they felt when they turned up to the scene? the problem with asking this question on a forum or in the papers is that you have armchair bandits who have NEVER been in that situation nor would have the balls to do the job of the officers involved, so in turn have NO right to comment.

rant off.
Hey sunshine, EVERY road user has a right to comment.....Grow up!!!

Old 23-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #26
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Hey sunshine, EVERY road user has a right to comment.....Grow up!!!
ill leave the stressed face wrinkles and saggy....... for you ;)

what I meant was everyone has their 2c regardless of weather they know what they are talking about or not, how is that even helpful?... would you let grade 10's make changes to how a surgeon performs his work because they think the risk of dieing during an operation is too high?....

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 23-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #27
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
ill leave the stressed face wrinkles and saggy....... for you ;)

what I meant was everyone has their 2c regardless of weather they know what they are talking about or not, how is that even helpful?... would you let grade 10's make changes to how a surgeon performs his work because they think the risk of dieing during an operation is too high?....
No i would'nt, point taken.....glad we got that cleared up....

Old 23-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #28
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Queensland Police stopped pursuits in February this year. The Qld Coroner found Police responsible for the deaths of a number of people in pursuits & recommended prosecutions, so the Police Union advised members not to pursue offenders.
Interestingly the Attorney General, Police Minister, Police Commissioner & Premier had nothing to say on the matter.

I assume this means extended joy rides for offenders.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 23-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #29
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
, can you imagine how they felt when they turned up to the scene?..

rant off.

I'm not staunch like a copper, but I know how I'd feel........ like I had just contributed to several people's death.

We don't condone capital punishment for murderers, but we seem far less concerned for human life when someone steals a car.
Old 23-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #30
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

This is obviously in response to what happened in canberra recently the police have a job to do and without having x-ray vision or being gifted with mind reading they really dont know why or what other offences may have occured causing the car to not want to stop they have no choice but to try to stop the car. Having said that I think my position is clear chases must continue if thats what it takes. I assume if you are following this particular story in a search for the truth in this matter you would have read what is in in this link. Police knew this guy was a danger to himself and others what has to be asked is why was he still on the streets? not should chases continue.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...mily-he-killed

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Closed Thread