Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
tonys6550

Default A woman would not allow me to change lanes!

I needed to change from the left lane and into the right hand lane because I needed to turn right about 400m up the road but there was a lady driving in the right hand lane in my blind spot, So I put my indicator on and sped up slightly so she could see that I needed to get into the right hand lane but to my surprise she also sped up back into my blind spot. O.K I thought, I'll slow down and try and get in between her and the car behind her, all the while my indicator was still on. But incredulously she also slowed down remaining in my blind spot. This continued back and forth until I missed my turn off, SHE.......JUST.......WOULD.......NOT let me change lanes, I couldn't believe it. I also noticed other motorists on the road around me shaking their heads in disbelief at this woman's actions.

My question is this, Are today's motorists that inconsiderate and ignorant to other road users or are they just uneducated?

I mean I grew up with the belief that you were considerate to others on the road, IE, stay left unless overtaking or turning right, let people change lanes when they indicate to do so. And the list of courteous behaviour goes on.

Perhaps I'm living in the past and need to get with the times.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A woman would not allow me to change lanes!

She may not have initially noticed you indicating especially if she was in the awkward spot of your blind spot. It could be that she realised you wanted to be let in and slowed down just as you slowed down, it may have not been deliberate.

But man, next time just push in, when people are staring straight ahead they need a bit of motivation to realise you are coming in.

Aussie drivers are too polite, be assertive and get into the lane.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
tonys6550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
She may not have initially noticed you indicating especially if she was in the awkward spot of your blind spot. It could be that she realised you wanted to be let in and slowed down just as you slowed down, it may have not been deliberate.

But man, next time just push in, when people are staring straight ahead they need a bit of motivation to realise you are coming in.

Yeah, You're probably right, She was probably too busy on her phone to notice anyone else around her haha
This user likes this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post

Are you having a laugh?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Not excusable on her part but I always wonder why someones first instinct when changing lanes is to put their indicator on and move infront of the car in the lane they want to be in.

Why not indicate, slow and and slide in behind her in the first instance.

I've been driving along with no traffic behind for hundreds of meters and the car next to me feels the need to merge in front of me? Why?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Not much common courtesy anymore. Roads are a war zone.
Too many people having lane ownership issues and feeling personally berrated if you merge in. Road space is treated like personal property, you trespass, you pay.............
Take care out there.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 03-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, there are a lot of folk who just suck. I come across a lot who do as you describe. I figure they have some sort of issue, a sense of entitlement, superiority or something.
Don't let it get to you, just shrug it off and keep smiling.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably not paying much attention and judging her speed off your car, rather than using her speedo. Rather annoying and seems to happen a fair bit

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Totally inconsiderate! You see it all the time on the roads, pathetic little people who can't assert themselves in life find themselves in a position to make someone do what they want so they force the issue because they can get away with it when they are driving.

Take the car away from them and put them in a one on one situation and they would run a mile.
Don't let it worry you for too long she probably has a miserable life because of her attitude!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I've been on the other side of this where I've been in the right lane and noticed someone wanting to move over and they are not quite clear of me. I'd slow anticipating they would speed up or maintain speed and instead they would also slow down. Then the opposite would happen. Gets frustrating so to break the impasse I'd usually jump ahead and change lane creating a clear hole for them in the lane they want.

Nothing deliberate, just a case of the two of us not synching up.

You do get the occasional douchebag doing it deliberately.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
7 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Or on the other hand Taxi drivers on the Tullamarine Freeway heading airport bound, they all stay in the right hand lane and then want to go left at the last second to go to parking or airport and try barge in.

Same with people going Mickleham rd exit, same deal stay in right lane and barge over to exit left onto Mickleham rd jamming up the freeway.

If I'm merging onto freeway depending on how traffic is in the left lane I either haul *** to get on infront or slow down to get in behind them, depends on where I am and how fast they are going so I get on without disrupting everyone.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 03-05-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #12
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant say i have that problem, although my car has a secret switch that allows automatic lane changes (its the accelerator, then they're 3k's behind ;))

I did have one guy speed up from 90 (90 zone) to about 120 to try and stop me from changing lanes. When i got in the lane he just sat on my bumper. Luckily he'd be at fault if he'd hit thanks to a rear dash cam
Old 04-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #13
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Cant say i have that problem, although my car has a secret switch that allows automatic lane changes (its the accelerator, then they're 3k's behind ;))
I have one of those too, it's called the T switch and follows after the letters XR,

Merging, just another one of driving's little joys.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:17 AM   #14
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Or on the other hand Taxi drivers on the Tullamarine Freeway heading airport bound, they all stay in the right hand lane and then want to go left at the last second to go to parking or airport and try barge in.

Same with people going Mickleham rd exit, same deal stay in right lane and barge over to exit left onto Mickleham rd jamming up the freeway.

If I'm merging onto freeway depending on how traffic is in the left lane I either haul *** to get on infront or slow down to get in behind them, depends on where I am and how fast they are going so I get on without disrupting everyone.
p.

Yep...get the tossers who live in werribee/hoppers sit in the right lane all the way from the top of the West gate bridge.

Then at the last minute they put on their magic wands 250m from the turnoff expecting people in all 4 lanes to all give way to them.

The number of them that i have sent 10ks down the road to the south werribee turnoff is hilarious.

Yep if some idiot thinks i am going to let him in without the legal 3 car lengths at 100ks then they are dreaming.

They can slow down and wait...simple as that.

They soon get the message.

My in car camera works very nicely in a dispute.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
p.

Yep...get the tossers who live in werribee/hoppers sit in the right lane all the way from the top of the West gate bridge.

Then at the last minute they put on their magic wands 250m from the turnoff expecting people in all 4 lanes to all give way to them.

The number of them that i have sent 10ks down the road to the south werribee turnoff is hilarious.

Yep if some idiot thinks i am going to let him in without the legal 3 car lengths at 100ks then they are dreaming.

They can slow down and wait...simple as that.

They soon get the message.

My in car camera works very nicely in a dispute.
Funny **** hey..

Had this ****** pull some **** on me a few months ago.

For those familiar with the relatively new Northern Expressway in Adelaide the exit from Pt Wakefield rd on to the expressway is a single lane coming from a 90k zone and opening to two lanes and a 110k zone.
Quite often cars will blast to 110k as soon as the lane splits in two and a good 150 before the 110k sign.

Anyway, this ****** in a red VE SS ute blasts past me as we enter the dual lanes and sits on about 105k.
I sat behind him for a few k's but he wasnt getting up to 110 so i went to pass him.
he allows me up along side and then proceeded to speed up and prevent me from getting over.
I slowed down, he slowed down, i sped up, he sped up.
This went on for about 15k's until i needed to get off the expressway and he was in the way.

Now i could have sat there for another 15k playing this ******* game, but he wasnt pulling that **** on me.
I got level with him, we both eyeballed each other and i pulled hard down on the steering wheel in his direction.
Needless to say his eyes widened and he took evasive action, he was in a world of hurt when i had him hanging off the edge of the shoulder at 110k and the over head sign post and accompanying steel barrier 50m in front of him.
He's lucky im not that kind of guy, so i let him back on the shoulder.

He then tried to pull some more smart **** on me until he realised he had rattled the wrong chain and wasnt going to just drive off into the sunset.
At that moment in time, with my psychological state, two written off cars in the ditch on the side of the road would have been a positive outcome, like russian roulette at 110k.

I last saw him hard on the brakes and pulling a u turn through the centre strip in order to avoid any further issues.

He probably had a camera too...
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Words of wisdom from the RACV website - Too bad that so many drivers actually ride HIGH HORSES instead of drive cars...........

merging vehicles should not stop to give way, but they have a responsibility to find a suitable, safe gap to merge into. Other drivers can assist by being courteous and adjusting speeds or changing lanes if possible to create a suitable gap.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I always plan well in advance if I need to turn somewhere. If I'm driving along and I see there's a gap, even 2km back from where I need to turn, I'll move over, rather than waiting until the last minute to force my way in amongst traffic, especially when there are those who seem to take it personally, and refuse to let you in.

It's less stressful for me, smoother for the passengers (I'm a charter bus driver), and if I'm working with other drivers from our company, I'm usually leading the way, so it gives them a chance to move over as well, and I can make sure that they're not going to miss the turn.

I'd say it's partly because most people are only care about themselves, and partly because they're taught to pass a driving test, not how to drive.

What really gets me is the people who overtake me on the expressway, only to cross back over in front of me and take the exit on the left, 200m up the road. What is the point? What did you gain by doing that? You couldn't just maintain road speed, and take the exit as normal?
And those who won't let you out of driveways.
Our depot exit is on a fairly busy road, and we usually have to wait for lights a bit further down to go red, to get out in peak times, but there's always one in a group that roll right up to the car behind, when I'm sitting in the drive way with the blinker on, and they can see I want to turn across the lanes, but they just sit and stare at the girl driving the bus. The truckies are pretty decent though, they and the govt. bus drivers will often straddle the lanes, and let us out when they see us.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 03-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #18
zilo
BANNED

I would not have let you in either.

If you are disorganised because you didn't time your lane placement then don't expect charity by cutting in front of me.

You cross ANY dotted line including a lane change and you must GIVE WAY.

It's the law and you are at fault if a collision occurs.

You should have slowed down behind her.

Call it what you will but i do that all the time, especially with idiots who think an indicator is a magic wand.

You must give way when changing lanes or merging....no ifs or buts.
5 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If you are relying on my charity to let you in because you didn't time your lane placement then don't expect to cut in front of me.

Call it what you will but i do that all the time, especially with idiots who think an indicator is a magic wand.

You must give way when changing lanes....no ifs or buts.
And you must not change your speed to prevent someone from changing lanes. I'm sure with proof, it'd be deemed 50/50 in that instance
6 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #20
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
And you must not change your speed to prevent someone from changing lanes. I'm sure with proof, it'd be deemed 50/50 in that instance

I checked my facts before posting, and you are completely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys6550 View Post
I mean I grew up with the belief that you were considerate to others on the road, I let people change lanes when they indicate to do so.
This man doesn't know the road rules.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #21
tonys6550

Quote:

Gee Whiz Louise, Why the hate!

Mods, If my post is inappropriate, Please delete if I've offended.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #22
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

When you're driving down the road do you notice much road rage happening around you?
5 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #23
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Indeed you are correct.

Its illegal to speed up when being overtaken (which doesn't apply when travelling in a lane next to someone)

Either way, still a dick move (although once again, wouldn't be an issue for me, i'd be miles in front of you if your tried that **** with me )
Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #24
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

Technically , you are incorrect.
In Victoria, When zip merging ( no lines ) you must give way to the vehicle that is slightly ahead of yours, regardless of left or right position.
Too often you see people think they have the right of way because they are on the main straight of the road and that the car zip merging needs to give way or slow down. Wrong.
Just sayin......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
6 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 03:22 AM   #25
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Technically , you are incorrect.
In Victoria, When zip merging ( no lines ) you must give way to the vehicle that is slightly ahead of yours, regardless of left or right position.
Too often you see people think they have the right of way because they are on the main straight of the road and that the car zip merging needs to give way or slow down. Wrong.
Just sayin......

No I am completely correct,...read my post I said when crossing dotted lines you must give way.
Zip merging does not entail crossing dotted lines.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:50 AM   #26
Spurious

Dealing with drivers is like hunting animals.

If you take a direct approach & make eye contact, they'll see you coming & take evasive action.

It's best if you appear to ignore them...sneak up quietly....THEN POUNCE!!!

I do this when encountering the old "speed up, slow down" boobs on a highway that I want to pass.

I get close, they speed up, I back off, they slow down!

So...I deviously drop back so they relax a little, & just before an overtaking opportunity presents itself, I pounce with every gear & horse available to me!

THEN THEY RIDE YOUR BUMPER 'CAUSE THEY'RE ****ED THAT YOU MANAGED TO GET ROUND THEM!!!
maybe I'm reading to much into this. I doubt it though!
4 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #27
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

If you are disorganised because you didn't time your lane placement then don't expect charity by cutting in front of me.

You are correct but does not condone the woman's action when he tried to merge in behind her then she slowed down on him.

Cutting in & speeding up then merging is two different scenarios so don't be surprised if some one road rages you one day.

Road courtesy goes a long way even when motorists can make mistakes at times.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #28
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

Didn't expect anything better from you. That's such a disgusting and selfish attitude and breeds road rage.
What if he'd just entered from a left hand side street and needed to get over? "Nah that's your problem....should have been more organized". That's about the most idiotic standpoint I've heard on here. What happened to common decency. If someone puts their blinker on in front of you......you let them in.....not speed up and down blocking them!

You don't like idiots with magic wands....but I can see some idiots with baseball bats heading your way.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:05 AM   #29
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Didn't expect anything better from you. That's such a disgusting and selfish attitude and breeds road rage.
What if he'd just entered from a left hand side street and needed to get over? "Nah that's your problem....should have been more organized". That's about the most idiotic standpoint I've heard on here. What happened to common decency. If someone puts their blinker on in front of you......you let them in.....not speed up and down blocking them!

You don't like idiots with magic wands....but I can see some idiots with baseball bats heading your way.
If we were in the same room you wouldn't be name calling or making threats.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #30
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ahhhhhhhhh......you must have been 'disorganised' when reading the OP. The advice you gave -he did do......he slowed down to move in behind her - she did the same to block him.

Courtesy goes a long way...... anyone who says they haven't been caught in the wrong lane wanting to change lanes is kidding themselves.

Peace
Closed Thread