Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default BMW X5 copied Territoty suspension?

I heard a rumour that the front suspension used in the BMW X5 is a carbon copy of that in the Ford Territory.

Can anybody confirm this with evidence??

Old 14-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what year X5?

im just looking at the diagrams now...

*edit* 1st gen x5(e53) has struts, so thats out... 2nd gen x5(e70) has upper A wishbone, and two lower arms...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-

Last edited by drew`SEVNT5; 14-01-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 14-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
DarkXr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ I doubt that, BMW are a long way ahead in terms of engineering, they wouldnt need to copy a ford.
Old 14-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
dazza_71
Starter Motor

Ford bought one of the very first x5's that came into the country.At least a year before the territory came out.
Old 14-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza_71
Ford bought one of the very first x5's that came into the country.At least a year before the territory came out.
Ford bought the first 5 or so BMW X5s that arrived in the country IIRC.
Old 14-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HA no way, Ford bought a X5 and used that as a benchmark for the Territory. The X5 has been the industry bench mark for those type of vehicles since its inception.
Ford Au have a good engineering team, but I am sorry BMW are a few steps ahead.
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
Old 14-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IIRC, when Territory first came out, Wheels touted it was the best handling SUV they have driven. Though, it can be a biased opinion aswell.
Old 14-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
I heard a rumour that the front suspension used in the BMW X5 is a carbon copy of that in the Ford Territory.

Can anybody confirm this with evidence??
To say it's a carbon copy is taking it too far and to think that BMW needs to copy Ford is just a joke. It is true however that the latest X5 has a front suspension layout similar in concept to that found in the Territory. Ford call it Virtual Pivot™

Rather than having a single or fixed shape upper or lower suspension arm (A-arm) these designs use multiple links that allow for the geometry to change throughout the arc of steering and suspension movement. They were first seen on high-end Euro sedans (Mercs, Audi, BMW) in the 1990's and are now becoming more commonplace.

The Territory has 2 lower arms and a single upper arm, thus the upright is fitted with 3 balljoints. This design endows the Territory with it's good road holding and allows a very impressive turning circle for such a large vehicle (when coupled with the front mount rack). The Territory was the first Australian made car to be fitted with such a system and so you could say it has been 'copied' by Holden in their VE Commodore and will most likely also be on the Orion Falcon.
Old 15-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Why doesn't the lower orange line pass through the front bush at the front?
Old 16-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351

Why doesn't the lower orange line pass through the front bush at the front?
Good point.

I guess the graphic artist and the engineers aren't quite on the same page regards what's actually going on here, or perhaps it was done on purpose to better illustrate that the pivot point falls outside the normal location of the uprights balljoint. The graphic can be found in the original brochure.

What really does my mind in is what happens to this vitual pivot point as the car steers and the 2 lower balljoints pivot about each other.

It's just like billy cart steering ;)
Old 15-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
To say it's a carbon copy is taking it too far and to think that BMW needs to copy Ford is just a joke. It is true however that the latest X5 has a front suspension layout similar in concept to that found in the Territory. Ford call it Virtual Pivot™

Rather than having a single or fixed shape upper or lower suspension arm (A-arm) these designs use multiple links that allow for the geometry to change throughout the arc of steering and suspension movement. They were first seen on high-end Euro sedans (Mercs, Audi, BMW) in the 1990's and are now becoming more commonplace.

The Territory has 2 lower arms and a single upper arm, thus the upright is fitted with 3 balljoints. This design endows the Territory with it's good road holding and allows a very impressive turning circle for such a large vehicle (when coupled with the front mount rack). The Territory was the first Australian made car to be fitted with such a system and so you could say it has been 'copied' by Holden in their VE Commodore and will most likely also be on the Orion Falcon.
You are correct Raptor. The X5 suspension is not a direct copy of the territory front susp, for starters given the huge lead time on these euro cars from bmw, merc etc, the new X5 was probably already quite a long way along in development of the suspension designs etc. when the ford was released. As pointed out by others in effect bmw just ditched the strut set up and put an upper wishbone on their two piece bottom end (which also feature on the VE commie and most strut front suspensions worth a damn - NOTE: the aurion doesn't have a two piece!).

Even so, they are uncannilly similar, (i noticed it straight away after looking at the little schematic in the wheels mag) and its not out of the realm of possibility that bmw did look at a bunch of suspension designs around the world when developing the X5 suspension - it was a return to double wishbone after quite an absence in recent times. Given the territory's reputation even overseas of being a 'cut price X5' in terms of handling they almost certainly did look at it in my opinion. All this rubbish about BMW not looking at a ford is ridiculous - they will not copy it per se, but there is nothing wrong with a quick looksee! Just because fords sell at much lower prices and are built worse doesnt' mean their engineers aren't world class - as an engineer myself (in a different field) i can assure you if you give an engineer the money, they will give you the goods!

Also, i don't know why BMW is being abused on here. Sure, they may not have the name of Merc or others but this is the company behind the M3 for christ sake! Their work with vanos straight 6s alone means they deserve at least some respect!
Old 14-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
Casablanca
carburettor

yea i highly doubt bmw copied from ford look at every car they made through the years then look at ford beamers are light years ahead in well pretty much everything.

then again pricewise can't really beat a ford for competetive pricing and overall are a great car.
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Old 14-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

When Wheels tested the second gen X5 a few months ago they reckon BMW copied it straight out, its exactly the same setup, a virtual copy. BMW denied it of course.
Old 14-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wasnt until the current E90 BMW 3 series that they finally ditched the mcpherson strut setup.

Falcon has had double wishbone since 1988.

The first model Z3s ran the rear suspension from the E30 BMWs (1984), and so did the 3 series compact. (semi trailing arm - like the VN-VZ Commodore)

So they arnt exactly the in the fore front of suspension tech.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 14-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
VSSII

Yoo gotta be fu%%en kidding me, Ford Aus copying BMW? This modification was first seen by Benz I think in the mid to late 90's with their variation being an exceptionally long shock absorber which while intruding a little more, made a notable difference to driver comfort.

BMW were considered a bit of a laugh with their 'luxury car' claims back in the days of mac struts on the front. I remember BMW advertising their 93 3 series had 100 million invested in its total design. Mercedes spent this on the rear suspension alone of its C class! However they used this same design on its C E and S class models whilst BMW used the more cost effective design on its cheaper models. Ford Aus? Not even a blip on the screen despite what the salesperson says.
Old 21-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #16
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Yoo gotta be fu%%en kidding me, Ford Aus copying BMW? This modification was first seen by Benz I think in the mid to late 90's with their variation being an exceptionally long shock absorber which while intruding a little more, made a notable difference to driver comfort.

BMW were considered a bit of a laugh with their 'luxury car' claims back in the days of mac struts on the front. I remember BMW advertising their 93 3 series had 100 million invested in its total design. Mercedes spent this on the rear suspension alone of its C class! However they used this same design on its C E and S class models whilst BMW used the more cost effective design on its cheaper models. Ford Aus? Not even a blip on the screen despite what the salesperson says.
No not ford aus copying bmw.bmw copying ford aus.did you not see the first x5 had shitbox struts making the ford suspension far superoir.have you not read the write ups on the territory over the years.that is why they copied it and get over it.and no they would never copy a design from holden cause you would be going backwards.get over it bmw copied fords far superior design.period.
Old 14-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #17
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
It wasnt until the current E90 BMW 3 series that they finally ditched the mcpherson strut setup.

Falcon has had double wishbone since 1988.

The first model Z3s ran the rear suspension from the E30 BMWs (1984), and so did the 3 series compact. (semi trailing arm - like the VN-VZ Commodore)

So they arnt exactly the in the fore front of suspension tech.
So the EA Falcon has double wishbones, doesn't make it better than the Porsche 911 with mac struts... sorta like the ohv v ohc debate ae.

The E30 3 series was the most successful touring car. The E36 compact and Z3 were just a (successful) spin off at the end of the its life time, even tho the Z3 kept it going for another 12 years! My 5 series (1989) has the same rear suspension... find a better handling base/luxury model sedan from the same year... VN Calais, EA Fairmont, Merc E CLass, Audi 100... If pigs fly, altho I'm sure Wheels would have named the VN a winner back in the day
Old 14-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is the E70 X5's front suspension layout...clicky here

-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 15-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #19
Steffo
LPG > You

What's so unbelievable about BMW copying Ford?

Ford's been around longer and BMW aren't Gods of motoring. In fact, they're average at best.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 15-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
What's so unbelievable about BMW copying Ford?
Ford's been around longer and BMW aren't Gods of motoring. In fact, they're average at best.

the fact that BMW have been rocking the 'two seperate link arms on the bottom' on the front of there cars since the early 80s....all they have added is a top wishbone (instead of mac struts), which, last I checked, Ford didnt have a copyright nor claim to be inventors of...

-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 15-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #21
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
the fact that BMW have been rocking the 'two seperate link arms on the bottom' on the front of there cars since the early 80s....all they have added is a top wishbone (instead of mac struts), which, last I checked, Ford didnt have a copyright nor claim to be inventors of...
I don't care about the Territory vs X5 suspension (btw... after driving both, if you ask me, Territory > X5 as a car) but in general people are acting like "woah BMW can't copy Ford, they're too good."

BMW is one of the most overrated companies - scratch that - the MOST overrated company in the world. They're not God, they're not better then Ford, they're not the best. They can and do copy others, and there is much better.

:
Old 15-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #22
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Quote:
I don't care about the Territory vs X5 suspension (btw... after driving both, if you ask me, Territory > X5 as a car) but in general people are acting like "woah BMW can't copy Ford, they're too good."

BMW is one of the most overrated companies - scratch that - the MOST overrated company in the world. They're not God, they're not better then Ford, they're not the best. They can and do copy others, and there is much better.

Have you actually stepped into a late model 5 series and compared it to a calais or fairmont ghia? the build quality of bmw in general is top notch. My ba had more squeaks rattles and pitfalls than my e30.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Old 15-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #23
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats your opinion...and for mine your wrong...only thing that a Territory does better than X5 is be cheap, and fall apart easier(not taking the ... we all know Ford's build quality needs to be dragged up a notch)

Quote:
Big call. Very big call. Agree with the "not god" sentiment...Ford and BMW arent even in the same leauge...nowhere near...and 'much better'? where? and which models are we talking? 3? 5? 6? 7? M series?

-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 15-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #24
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Thats your opinion...and for mine your wrong...only thing that a Territory does better than X5 is be cheap, and fall apart easier(not taking the ... we all know Ford's build quality needs to be dragged up a notch)
E36/E34+ BMW's have craptastic build quality. I'm yet to see a good one, and I've seen alot of them.

Quote:
Big call. Very big call. Agree with the "not god" sentiment...Ford and BMW arent even in the same leauge...nowhere near...and 'much better'? where? and which models are we talking? 3? 5? 6? 7? M series?
BMW are very, very overrated. But if you want I'll quickly break down the BMW range with one superior competitor for every class...

Golf > 1-Series
A4 > 3-Series
A6 > 5-Series
A8 > 7-Series
Touareg > X5
Boxster S > Z4M
Cayman S > Z4M Coupe
RS4 > M3
E63 AMG > M5 (RS6 stomps both of them when it comes)
X3 > itself (useless)

The "mighty," E60 M5 runs a not that great 8:13 around the famous Nurburgring-Nordschleife. Why is it not that great? Because the not so "mighty," VTII HSV GTS300 does 8:15. 2 seconds on a 8 minute 15 second (495 second) lap is equal to 0.4% difference. So whoever blinks wrong loses. Nothing in it. That's funny, the "best," (in their dreams) against a stretched Opel with a massaged 'vette engine and a 10+ y/o 6sp manual gearbox in it, and it can't do better then a tie? Go BMW...

Sorry for the off-topic. Though I wouldn't blame BMW for wanting to copy the Territory if they did... it does lots of things better then the useless X5. Like interior space and layout. For a vehicle so big, the X5 is useless and small inside. And can't come as a 7-Seater. Standard features... both of my aunt's X5's (3.0i and now 4.4i) don't have CD-Players in the dash. They have a TV and DVD sat-nav, but no CD-Player, just cassette. Why? BMW wants a few grand to put it in. $100k+ and they don't have CD Players or stackers? Lets not mention the leather on the seats and steering wheel rubbing away in less then a year on both examples... the V8 has been ridden with niggly little engine issues and so on and so forth. BMW (Big Money Wasted) are not immune to issues as people seem to believe, they're just another average at best car, that people pay through the nose for to get a badge that in the grand scheme of things, isn't that impressive. Park a brand spankers M5 next to a 30 year old Ferrari 308 GTB and see what gets more looks...

Territory +1
X5 -1

:
Old 15-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #25
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bmws are ok but really at the end of the day no one really likes them i think its just the badge the cars are pretty boring but back to the territory maybe they did copy them or maybe an employee from ford got the sack and went to centrelink the next thing you know hes in germany working on the x5 and the boss looks over his shoulder and thinks man thats a sweet design let me take you out to the executive canteen to discuss this suspension further
Old 21-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #26
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
bmws are ok but really at the end of the day no one really likes them i think its just the badge the cars are pretty boring
Speak for yourself, not others.
I love BMWs, i have one myself (E36-320) aswell as the Territory.

Does it really matter who copied who, if at all.
BMW do a nice luxury car, Ford do a nice affordible car.
There are some people here trying to compare the 2, Unless people have owned both, i dont think anyone can really coment on comparisons with build quality or anything else alike.

They are not even to compare with for a start. BMW is built far better but they cost far more.
Which is one of the reasons i bought the Territory over the X5.

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
Old 15-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #27
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Remember that when the territory was conceived, it was done so at the expense of unique design and several models of other vehicles that where stripped down by ford and to a degree reversed engineered.
Old 15-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #28
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Yeah, , BMW looked and copied a shock absorber, and swing arm idea....

genius !

AC/DC
Old 15-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Talking

For the record and for the money, I'd be more than happy to take a Territory Turbo or Ghia over an X5 and for that matter a BFII Ghia over a 5 series.

Call me whatever you want, I just prefer Aussie cars and feel proud to own and drive cars made 10 km's from where I live.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 21-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #30
dave289
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
For the record and for the money, I'd be more than happy to take a Territory Turbo or Ghia over an X5 and for that matter a BFII Ghia over a 5 series.

Call me whatever you want, I just prefer Aussie cars and feel proud to own and drive cars made 10 km's from where I live.

GK
good on you gk.when i was a kid of about twelve(i'm now 37),you really did not see that many bmw or mercs on the road.my uncle always drove bmws and i have always loved cars,even since i was very young.back then owning the merc or bmw was far and few in between and a status that you had made it in life and deserved something better.these days every second car is a silver bmw with p plates.now these dweebs have not made it in life there ususally just starting out with mums and dads money to finance the bmw.so as far as im concerned the status is certainly not what it used to be with these all these p platers driving them .look in the paper on the weekend and you will see far more bmws than ford and holden put together.not such a statement anymore .value for money fords whip the a rse off bmw.i remember a mate of mine buying a second hand m3 years ago.it was about 2 years old at the time and he estimated the price it cost the previous owner was about $2,000 per 1000 km with the kays and price he pay for it over the new car price.real good value.smart car buying if ever i saw it or is it a case of more money than cents.BMW=Burn More Wallets
Closed Thread