Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Default Bushes and shock replacement, is this too much?

Posted this in the Territory section, however I'm in need of a response sooner rather than later, and this is the place for that. So whether you're Territory affiliated or not, any advice would be great! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SLUG View Post
Hi everyone,
A friend of mine has had a persistent clunking in the rear end of her RWD '05 Territory. Knowing BA's and Territory's history with crappy bushes, I suggested it may be her diff bushes and that she should get it checked out. The mechanic she has taken it to has come back and said that 7 bushes, trailing arm bushes and the rear shocks must be replaced, at a cost of $2800! Unfortunately she provided no further detail as to which specific bushes need replacing, however I thought this price seemed pretty steep...

So my question to you all is whether this is a reasonable price to pay or is it massively inflated?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
Old 25-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bushes and shock replacement, is this too much?

Bit awkward without a detailed list of costs, should be split into parts and labour.
Any chance of a better diagnosis to isolate what is causing the noise?
I paid to get the front end quietened down on the BF RTV, new rubber bushes all round plus all ball joints, still got noise so that mechanic gets no more from me.
The mechanic is taking a risk in my opinion as he could hit the customer with that invoice and a week later they're back with the same problem.
Old 25-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
marty351
Shenanigans..............

My mates gf's terry had a clunk as per description, turned out to be the engine mount. Get a second opinion, and mention this. Could save big $$$.
When I drove it I too thought it to be the rear bushings.
Old 25-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Thanks for the responses, unfortunately the information I provided was as detailed as she got. Regardless I think a second opinion is a very good idea, that's what I'd do. I can't see it needing that many bushes replaced, as she has just told me removing the 100kg of dog food from the boot has improved it quite a bit!
Thanks again

Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
Old 25-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the responses, unfortunately the information I provided was as detailed as she got. Regardless I think a second opinion is a very good idea, that's what I'd do. I can't see it needing that many bushes replaced, as she has just told me removing the 100kg of dog food from the boot has improved it quite a bit!
Thanks again

take it to Pedders thats where I take my focus-get a laneway inspection thinks it about $90 and they will quote you to get it to a safe level.

They did my focus 2 rear shocks and 2 front bushes was about 4/550 around there.
Old 25-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Kempe

Quote:
unfortunately the information I provided was as detailed as she got.
For $2800 she should get more detail than that, she needs to know what they do to know what would be warranty work in the future.

He's taking her money and if she returns he can say he never touched said part and she has no proof what he did
Old 25-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

That's highway robbery. With the entire rear end rebuilt with SuperPro bushes and a pair of shocks, the bill should run to $1800 with labour.

Last edited by Trump; 25-08-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 25-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #8
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pedders tech check and report $28 not $90 well worth it...give you a complete view on undercar suspension and brakes/steering.
Old 25-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #9
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Pedders tech check and report $28 not $90 well worth it...give you a complete view on undercar suspension and brakes/steering.
When done right, these inspections are well worth it.

If the Territory in question has > 100,000km on it, the rear bushes are near on stuffed anyway.
Old 25-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like she's getting Girl Tax on top.

It sounds like what I'm getting with my FG falcon, and quotes ranged from 1k from Ford, down to about 3-400 from Pedders, who said that was worst case, but unlikely to be that much.
Old 28-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Thanks for the replies everyone, been very informative! I agree with the girl tax being added on, when it gets checked out for a second opinion I'll be taking it in!
Cheers

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
Old 29-08-2015, 03:34 AM   #12
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously Pedders would be the last place I take it.

Take it to a trustworthy mechanic or check it for yourself.

I remember getting one of those Pedders checks done and they quoted my to replace parts that were brand new and had only recently been replaced. A mate of mine got charged to replace four tie rod ends, when he got home and checked under the car only two were replaced, when he went back they said it was a mistake...very convenient mistake obviously.

I remember getting handed a quote for around $950, when I got a second opinion it just needed two new sway bar bushes, $20 and half an hour labour later and the job was done, part of the reason I do most of my own work now.

If you must take it somewhere, I remember using Wholesale Suspension in Penrith and they were very good and honest.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Closed Thread