Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
FordFan86
meow

Default To mod it or not?

I'm having trouble deciding wether or not to play around with my car a bit and mod it. I drive a 5litre NC Ghia, my first car and i love it, drive it everyday, 207k on it and in great shape (apart from a few little niggly things, the biggest problem being engine mounts). I'd like to get more power out of it but the issues i'm faced with are a) fuel isn't getting any cheaper. b) you can only go the posted speed limit c) the car isn't getting any younger and lastly it's money that probably won't be seen again.
I love my car, everytime i look at it i think damn that's a sexy beast, i wouldn't mind upgrading to an EL or an Au of some sort... or i could dream for a BA, but i have to be realistic about costs involved.
Right now im working plenty of hours and managing to save a bit of money each week, but i start uni next year and would also like to get a bike licence and have a few weeks holidays in NZ.
I'm just after your opinions as car nuts aswell of those of you who have been there done that and have family now...
thanks
-James

Last edited by FordFan86; 08-08-2005 at 08:45 PM.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

If economic sense ruled your heart you would be driving a hyundai getz.
Go with your heart, its is nice to have stories of the "cars I used to own" You wouldnt need to spend much to unleash a whole lot more power in a stock 5L. Gas might be a good thing too.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
XRated
Shoot.

You're only young. Unless you are seriously saving for a house or something, just mod it. I realise petrol isn't getting any cheaper, but Uni and part-time money doesn't give you enough $$$ to save for a deposit on a house etc.

Doooo eeeeettt!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 01:31 AM   #4
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Fix the problems first then mod it.

Maybe stick to an exhaust, wheels and lowering it if fuel economy is a concern?

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Fix the problems first then mod it.

Maybe stick to an exhaust, wheels and lowering it if fuel economy is a concern?
I agree, done right a good set of extractors and a decent exhaust should help fuel econ, as well as give it a little more power and a much nicer sound. Lowering it a little (not all the way into the weeds) would make it look that bit classier, add a good set of wheels, and you'd have a great looking car, with a great sound, without harming fuel econ and without spending much in the way of ca$h.

That's what I'd do if I was you anyway...
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 01:41 AM   #6
Steffo
LPG > You

Well, IMO, I'd go one of two paths...

Keep the NC. Convert it to dedicated LPG. Work the 302W.. perhaps a 347W stroker or something like that, make it really nice. Sure, its money you'll never see again, but then, so are many other things.

OR

If you can, get a factory dedicated gas AU. Then mod that if you want to. Newer car, gas combats the fuel cost thing nicely (a gas Falcon is cheaper to fuel then a Corolla or those types of small cars), and it can be modded decently too.

If it was up to me, I'd probably go option 2 to be honest. Newer car is great. And I wouldn't get a petrol car again, unless I was a millionaire buying a Ferrari or Porsche or something like that.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
turboute
turboute

The AU with gas would be my choice, I already have gas on my ute, It only costs about $25-30 to go 350 (or more) km's
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 05:09 PM   #8
FordFan86
meow

Ok I think i'll get an exhaust, and it alreadys sits a bit lower than other grandpa spec NC's i've seen driving around, wether it's from aftermarket or sagged springs i couldn't care lol. I already have 17's and it looks sweet.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #9
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Put it on gas.

In my personal opinion keep your nice 5.0L NC you know instead of going for a un-known Gas AU (which could be yesterday's thrashed fleet car). I f you love it and drive it everday their's no need to sell it and besides buying an newer car is a big loss through depreciation.

And remember that V8 Fairlanes are exclusive and plently are on gas that run well.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post