Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
FalconBrian
Starter Motor

Default Special order better ride height Falcon?

Hello, my granddaughter is helping me write this.

I am hoping one of you can help me with a special order. I am wanting to buy a white Falcon G6E with heavy duty tow pack. But I have had a look at a new Falcon in the yard and it looks like it will drag its guts on a two-cent coin.

Is there someone at Ford I can speak to about getting higher suspension. My mate is a Ford dealer out here in a very small country town and he thinks that I will have to go aftermarket. But I dont want a brand new car to be fiddled with ideally. If anyone knows someone to talk to on the phone that would be appreciated.

He says all the old blokes like me get scared off from how low they are which is a shame as I had an XF in the 80s and it was a ripper car. He said Ford sometimes do special orders but he didnt sound sure of what to do.

also is it normal for new Falcons to be so low? or is it an option like a S pack?

thank you for answering my questions.

FalconBrian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I would think that an aftermarket solution may be your only option.

Pedders Suspension http://www.pedders.com.au/ who is also a site sponsor on here has workshops all over Australia, they would be the place I would go to if I was in your situation.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
FalconBrian
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
I would think that an aftermarket solution may be your only option.

Pedders Suspension http://www.pedders.com.au/ who is also a site sponsor on here has workshops all over Australia, they would be the place I would go to if I was in your situation.

Thankyou very much for your time.

Unfortunately out this way, I am a long way from one of those places. But I can ask around when Im next in town.

I was hoping I could get something factory standard. A member at my church tried buying a new Falcon in december but was told that they dont have high suspensions anymore, but I didnt think much of it as she never pushed them to see if they could special order it. In the end she bought a Holden Berlina which is a nice car and much higher off the ground than what I saw in the Falcon. It sounds like the G6E is normal height for Falcon then?

Thank you for any help.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Brian,

I believe that your only option here is to likely go for the aftermarket. Pedders is quite fine to deal with and would help you out greatly. Do you have a subscription to a caravanning magazine? I assume your tow pack is for a van. If so, there can be many good deals and offers for suspension upgrades and other modifications in the Vanning Magazines, especially for Big4 members or RACV/Q/N/NRMA members.

Otherwise, do yourself a favour and shop around, See a few Pedders outfits, and maybe even try pricing them against some of the private guys. Being the country there'll be a many top notch blokes out there wanting to do a top job.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
FalconBrian
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Brian,

I believe that your only option here is to likely go for the aftermarket. Pedders is quite fine to deal with and would help you out greatly. Do you have a subscription to a caravanning magazine? I assume your tow pack is for a van. If so, there can be many good deals and offers for suspension upgrades and other modifications in the Vanning Magazines, especially for Big4 members or RACV/Q/N/NRMA members.

Otherwise, do yourself a favour and shop around, See a few Pedders outfits, and maybe even try pricing them against some of the private guys. Being the country there'll be a many top notch blokes out there wanting to do a top job.
Hello,

Yes that is right, I have just bought a van! We are very excited to go on a big trip. My wife and I are retiring and getting one of the boys take over the farm and can not wait to get a sedan to drive in as we have both been driving Toyota utes for the last 15 years.

Thankyou very much for the suggestions. I am worried about the Falcon not being right for towing. It looks like an imported car now being so low to the ground like a celica. But one of the farmhands says they are just trying to impress city buys - cheeky mongrel.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

It is now very rare, if not completely unheard of that "special" orders get done. Unfortunately the days of fiddling with the manufacturing process are long gone.

FPV even hand finish off their cars and unless you know someone then there is next to no chance getting them to shift from what is the "norm".

I find it odd that your dealer will not help you, even through a third party. You will have to strike a deal with them as I assume they will be looking after the warranty on your car which is what you are worried about loosing?

If the dealer is a good bloke he shouldnt have an issue with raising it at all.

Worst case check out with your dealer the difference between your G6E's suspension and that of an XT. Someone here can confirm whether all G series run with the XR6 suspension or that its just the G6ET; not 100%.

I would be seeing if your dealer can swap the suspension to XT spec once its delivered. Its an **** about way of doing it but I reckon your only option if you want to use factory parts. You might be able to keep your G6 wheels with the XT suspension.

Truth be told the XT has the best ride of all the Ford cars as once you start getting sporty the tyre profile and suspension settings all become lower and firmer.

Good luck.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Ahhh nice assumption Danny.

Brian, trust me, the G6E has been well and truly tested with these types of scenarios in mind and even beyond what your told you can do in your manual.

True cars have come down in ride height in general, I mean look at showroom pics of old EA, XF etc, you could go bush bashing in them. I would be hugely surprised if you have any issues, Im sure people with XR6T/XR8's tow aswell and they seem to manage.

It would come down to your tow pack and transmission, I couldn't imagine there being much of a need to look at your suspension unless your going off the beaten track, and even then it will be fine to a point.

Still if its an issue then a quick talk to your local Pedders as suggested above or going the XT route might be your best call.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
FalconBrian
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ahhh nice assumption Danny.

Brian, trust me, the G6E has been well and truly tested with these types of scenarios in mind and even beyond what your told you can do in your manual.

True cars have come down in ride height in general, I mean look at showroom pics of old EA, XF etc, you could go bush bashing in them. I would be hugely surprised if you have any issues, Im sure people with XR6T/XR8's tow aswell and they seem to manage.

It would come down to your tow pack and transmission, I couldn't imagine there being much of a need to look at your suspension unless your going off the beaten track, and even then it will be fine to a point.

Still if its an issue then a quick talk to your local Pedders as suggested above or going the XT route might be your best call.

Thankyou very much for you advice and concern for a total stranger.

Is a Falcon XT an old model with higher springs?

I may have not worded right about my dealer. He is a good man, I have known him for 30 years so when I say he is not sure, it is because he does not want to mislead me. Whatever I decide he will help as much as he can. Im sorry I did not word things right.

Yes the XF model were much more practical for out here and towing I would think. The higher Falcons you can drive them fast through dips and fords and they are much easier to get in and out of when your an old bugger like me. Also dont bottom out when towing and I like the car being higher for when you hit a roo.

I am suprised Falcons are still the biggest selling car when I can not imagine any country people buying them being so low to the ground.

I am glad to hear you think the G6E can cop some.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconBrian
Hi there mate - by Falcon XT they are referring to the "base" model. Its not the model code as such (like BA/BF/FG) just the variant code. Even though XT was a model code many years ago!

So you can buy a brand new XT, which may not have as many options as a G6/G6E, but may have a higher ride height due to not being so "sporty".

Hope that makes sense.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
stang65
FPRJET

If it`s road height , then why don`t you go a territory.
Same motor, mechanically similar will just sit a bit higher.

I`m sure towing won`t be a problem and if your not in a hurry, the new model will becoming out with a diesel that will give you better economy to boot.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thankyou very much for you advice and concern for a total stranger.

I may have not worded right about my dealer. He is a good man, I have known him for 30 years so when I say he is not sure, it is because he does not want to mislead me. Whatever I decide he will help as much as he can. Im sorry I did not word things right.

Yes the XF model were much more practical for out here and towing I would think. The higher Falcons you can drive them fast through dips and fords and they are much easier to get in and out of when your an old bugger like me. Also dont bottom out when towing and I like the car being higher for when you hit a roo.

I am suprised Falcons are still the biggest selling car when I can not imagine any country people buying them being so low to the ground.

I am glad to hear you think the G6E can cop some.
Sorry Brian, like Riksta said, I didn't mean the 1960's XT falcon but the FG XT (base model). It has the highest suspension height you can get are more akin to what would be needed in rural area's. All the parts will pop straight into your G6E if you want that to happen, might look a bit odd though.

What the other members say is true enough about the Territory, Ford have deliberately made this car basically a work horse with the current wagon ceasing production.

There is a new model coming out, which if you have the budget go for it, but they are doing some REALLY good deals on the previous model (still current for a few more months), they represent very good buying and well worth a look if you can live with the extra ride height. Not meaning to be rude but you definitely "step up" into a Territory were in a Falcon you "sit in".

If you haven't taken one for a test drive then I suggest you do, its worth the extra money for the practicality.

Otherwise like I said, the standard G6E will do the job. Depending on the tow pack perhaps look at an aftermarket transmission cooler, but even that should not be necessary.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Paxton
Cobblers!

If you want a Ford, with higher ride, but with all the creature comforts, wait for the New Territory. I know you are after a Falcon with a higher ride, and, although it isn't exactly what you want, it is an option to consider. Have you driven one before?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
Fireblade
Wizard Member

As Paxton has said, look at the territory ghia, all the options like a G6E in a bigger car that can handle towing, and seeing as it is based on the falcon chassis pretty much drives like a Falcon sedan.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
stang65
FPRJET

sheez in the time it took me to write my post it looks like I just got beaten.
Well said guys....lol
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Why not buy a Territory and get the best of both worlds.
High ride height and the same engine.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #16
FalconBrian
Starter Motor

Thankyou all for your sugestions and help.

Yes my dealer suggested a Territory but he said that the Falcon will have better highway mileage as it has more gears in the auto. He did not mention a diesel but it is a very small petrol station dealership so they probably pull the wool over him. He also talked about the Rangers and second hand Pajero he has in the back.

But we are set on a car and not a 4wd though so I will ask about the XT springs in a G6E. One of the Ag reps out here once told me his dad can do a country pack suspension on a calais which is popular out here. But I am sure the Falcon is the go, three years ago when I visited Sydney all the taxis in the city are Falcons like when I was younger, so I know it wont stuff me around on the road.

Last edited by FalconBrian; 01-02-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: forgotten
Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #17
stang65
FPRJET

The Territory is available in rwd , my wife has a territory and i don`t find that much difference in fuel.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #18
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
The Territory is available in rwd , my wife has a territory and i don`t find that much difference in fuel.
Nor should there be in theory. Ive just had an old 4spd RWD Territory for 2 months and I averaged bang on 10L/100kms with about 40% of that driving in Melbourne.

As long as you dont flatten it off the line and drive 1/4 throttle everywhere its as good as the falcon.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:

Yes my dealer suggested a Territory but he said that the Falcon will have better highway mileage as it has more gears in the auto. He did not mention a diesel but it is a very small petrol station dealership so they probably pull the wool over him. He also talked about the Rangers and second hand Pajero he has in the back.
He's wrong.

The Territory AWDs have the same 6 Speed Auto as the Falcon, or you can wait until the new model, which will have the 6 Speed Auto across the range. Diesel is on the way, but if you are worried about availability, you're better off with a Petrol AWD runout SYII. When towing, the difference will be negligible anyway.

Just my 2¢.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

But we are set on a car and not a 4wd though so I will ask about the XT springs in a G6E. One of the Ag reps out here once told me his dad can do a country pack suspension on a calais which is popular out here. But I am sure the Falcon is the go, three years ago when I visited Sydney all the taxis in the city are Falcons like when I was younger, so I know it wont stuff me around on the road.
The Territory is not a 4WD like your toyota utes were. It is pretty much a Falcon on steroids - it has similar steering and feel as a falcon, but is higher up, both in terms of seating position, and ground clearance (and roo strike height for that matter). the Territory is the most car like SUV on the market - others don't come close. If you drove a G6E and then a territory ghia, you would see the similarities, and apart from a difference in height, I don't think you'd find a lot of difference in the way they drive. And the AWD variant gets the same 6 speed the G6E would get; the 4 speed in the RWD is still pretty good, and is basically the more tried and tested gearbox of the 2 anyway.

Fuel usage in a Territory can be high, but towing a van you should get under 20l/100km (or roughly 400km to a tank), but I wouldn't expect much better than that from a G6E or an XT either.

Good luck with your quest, your trip and retirement!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 02-02-2011 at 02:04 AM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #21
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

holden definately do a country pac... id go back into ford and remind them of that and how much money youre about to spend. see if the fish bites the hook properly second time around.

In the end its your hard earned dollars and youre deserved retirement, so dont settle
for something youre not happy with.

If they dont want to help you, there is nothing at all wrong with the calais.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The new Territory will be available with a 2.7 litre V6 turbo diesel which will shade the 6 cylinder Falcon for fuel economy, and I suspect it will have a higher tow rating than the Falcon too.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #23
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

My 75 year old dad has a G6E and tows his 18' caravan (Not a pop top but a complete unit) to QLD and back to VIC and has been doing so since he got it. Finds it a hell of a lot better than the Landcruiser he used to use and the heavy tow pack was put on by FORD at the time of purchase.

There is absolutely no issues with it and the Haymen Reece kit they put on for him serves the purpose very well. He loves it

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #24
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Brian,
If you are looking at suspension options for towing with the Falcon sedan,
'aftermarket' springs and shocks are a superior option to the Ford items
(XT or G6 springs) anyway.

If you want to investigate this option further, I would suggest the following:
- Check with your dealer the exact warranty ramifications of changed springs/shocks
(My guess is it should be fine)
- Discuss options with a couple of the nearest Pedders outfits or other suspension specialists.
(There are a few brands to choose from).
- A slightly raised spring and a high quality shock set would sort you out, in my opinion.
- If your home town is remote, then parts can always be freighted to you and
your local preferred mechanic can do the install.

Good luck with it mate, whichever way you go.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #25
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
Brian,
If you are looking at suspension options for towing with the Falcon sedan,
'aftermarket' springs and shocks are a superior option to the Ford items
(XT or G6 springs) anyway.

How are they? I would have thought the Heavy Duty Tow pack from Hayman Reece that Ford warranty is a good package? The G6E doesn't move in height, has electric brakes fitted and works very well.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #26
Terraplainin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
How are they? I would have thought the Heavy Duty Tow pack from Hayman Reece that Ford warranty is a good package? The G6E doesn't move in height, has electric brakes fitted and works very well.
Because he's talking about springs and shocks, not towing equipment, and the OP has expressed an indication that he feels the standard Falcon ride height is too low.

Once upon a time Ford did an optional country pack suspension, with raised ride height and (I think) heavier duty shocks. They no longer do so, or at least no longer advertise it through ford.com.au. Fo the minority of us that live in the bush, it's a pity that it was dropped; it was a most useful pack to option on rep's cars.

To the OP, I have to say that others before me have got it right; take a Territory for a drive. I suspect that it may well be just what you need.
Terraplainin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #27
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraplainin'
and the OP has expressed an indication that he feels the standard Falcon ride height is too low..
i don't know about FG, but my BF XR8 goes on dirt roads all the time (awful i know) and doesn't often have a problem with it's ride height, only the occasional scuff.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #28
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i live on the bruce highway here in central qld and i have seen quite a few G6E falcons going through town with big vans on behind. nothing like travelling in style.

how big is your van you have to tow ? and do you need / plan to use it on much dirt roads.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #29
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

He's referring to the stock suspension components compared to say Pedders etc.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should buy a 2011 Grand Cherokee.
They have adjustable air suspension, have many great standard features and are as cheap as a Falcon.
The previous diesel and V8 petrol could tow 3500Kgs as well. So I don't see that getting any worse with the 2011 model.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post