Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Hands free phone's illegal!!

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

what next? no more manual cars as that involves taking a hand off the wheel.

ridiculous!! this will promt a rule change me thinks.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 02:07 AM   #2
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

They never said it was illegal they said its just as dangerous and could become illegal. Ive used a hands free while driving it is as dangerous your mind goes to the convo and not the road.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:35 AM   #3
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a complete joke,
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

Well soon theyll ban me eating my HJ meals while driving. And pies. Damn this cruel world.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Whats the difference between holding a coke and talking to a passenger and holding a phone and talking?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

The world has gone bananas! This is stupid. Ban passengers in cars, or at least ban talking to them!
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
J.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Well soon theyll ban me eating my HJ meals while driving. And pies. Damn this cruel world.
I'm pretty sure it already is.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
VeloXR6
JesusDrivesAFord

oh yeah ... fancy being forced to pay attention and save a little kids life....

The nerve of them.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
They never said it was illegal they said its just as dangerous and could become illegal. Ive used a hands free while driving it is as dangerous your mind goes to the convo and not the road.

so, if it wasn't deemed illegal, how did the guy wind up in court??
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
Nashy86

I just finished a report on this topic for uni, basically what happens is the passenger in the car suppresses the conversation when the driver gets into a tricky situation (such as turning at a set of lights in the city for example) where they need to concentrate more on the road. On the other hand, when you're on the phone the guy you're talking to can't do that becasue he cannot see your situation, therefore the conversation keeps going at the same pace and you (as the driver) only have a limited amount of attention to direct, and must choose between paying attention to the driving or the phone, however most people cant designate, and end up paying partial attention to both, therefore their driving behavior deteriorates and they don't remember the conversation either!
(think of your brain as a computer with 1gb of ram, driving through the intersection safely requires 700mb of your ram, and the phone conversation requires 500mb, that adds up to 1200, which is more ram than you have)

This is actually a big problem or drivers, although an outright ban is not a good answer, for practical application and enforcement.
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyEB1
(think of your brain as a computer with 1gb of ram, driving through the intersection safely requires 700mb of your ram, and the phone conversation requires 500mb, that adds up to 1200, which is more ram than you have)
Then theres the people on the freeway/motorway who cant maintain a certain speed. They must only have 256mb of ram. :
Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
vik351
Banned

There wouldn't be a fine by any Chance would there???

vik...It's for our safety,not revenue...
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
myxr6
Banned

They will be banning stereos next ,cant have you listening that distraction while driving.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
Whats the difference between holding a coke and talking to a passenger and holding a phone and talking?
I think it's already illegal to do that? (the holding a drink bit while driving)

Depending on the state you're in of course
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #15
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I agree COMPLETELY with this law. Talking to someone over the phone is entirely different to talking to someone next to you in the car. It's a differnt type of consentration involved.

Good law.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
BAWagonWheels

back then when the use of mobile phones in cars became an issue the government release press ads, radio and tv commercials stating using mobile phones where illegal however they did state and encourage the use of hands-free mobile devices.

its the justice system that is not in line with the government policies. if they knew well then we should have already got a new advertisement campaign stating illegal use of hands-free mobile devices as well.

crazy.... might as well ban drivers from pushing any kind buttons or dials in the car.

oh no!!! damn FPV starter buttons... looks like I'm walking today.
BAWagonWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
I think it's already illegal to do that? (the holding a drink bit while driving)
The day I either hear that happens, or I get done for it, I will flip out. Like we don't already have enough stupid driving laws we have to obey.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #18
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
I agree COMPLETELY with this law. Talking to someone over the phone is entirely different to talking to someone next to you in the car. It's a differnt type of consentration involved.

Good law.
It doesn't work for couriers or other people who are constantly in the car, and need the phone for work though. I have done some delivery work, and got phone calls from work asking me to do a pick-up from some various factory. Sometimes these calls would occur on freeways so it wasn't safe to pull over, but I had to take the call anyway. This law will make people in those position's jobs a hell of a lot harder

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!

Good law.
Nob wisdom......

Yes when you are talking to someone in the car the natural human reaction is to look at them for body language which is a major component of communication so you take your eyes off the road whereas on the phone it is just like listening to the radio as in detached.....

In the 21st century with the levels of communication that are taking place at all times if it were made illegal to operate a hands free mobile phone while moving then the road toll will skyrocket from accidents involving people trying to pull over from the middle lane to take an important call.

The dropkick reply is that "No one needs to take a call and if it is important then they will call back" which is about as stupid as "If the speed limit was 20km/h the road toll would plummet and no one needs to go faster than that or own a vehicle capable of going faster than that because if you have to be somewhere just leave earlier".

Bottom line: If you cannot operate a hands free device while driving a motor vehicle then you do not have the required skill level to hold a driver's licence and should surrender it immediately for the safety of all road users.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #20
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L

Depending on the state you're in of course
Im pretty sure its not illegal in NSW, i do it all the time and the police dont do anything, ive never heard of it being illegal.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #21
Nashy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Bottom line: If you cannot operate a hands free device while driving a motor vehicle then you do not have the required skill level to hold a driver's licence and should surrender it immediately for the safety of all road users.
According to the experiments I read for the assignment mentioned earlier in this thread, under certain circumstances basically no one has this capability.

On the freeway the results were pretty consistent between talking in the car vs. talking on the phone, but on suburban roads where there is a lot more random events happening that are not predicted by the drivers mental model (such as cars pulling in/out of parking spaces or pedestrians stepping onto the road) not only did the behavior of every driver change (for the worse) when talking on the phone vs talking to the in-car passenger, but the driver was also asking the person on the phone many more questions, suggesting that they were often not even listening to or comprehending what was being said, because they were too focused on the road.
There were fewer questions directed to the in-car passenger because they gave the information and the right times when the driver wasn't too busy, instead of constantly giving information all of the time.

So based on that, there would be very few cars on the road

FG Mk II XR6T
Old 02-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The last four accident I was involved in involved idiots on mobile phones running into the back of after I stopped at redlights (2), a give way sign and an traffic light controlled intersection (to giveway as required for the crossing pedestrians). One didn't even slow down and hit me at 60 km/hr while I was stopped at a red light so you know how I feel about this. And I simply refuse to ever use my mobile while driving.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #23
blur1
el wagon

get this... i was the 3rd car in line at a red light in my car (auto: in drive: foot on brake) and after about 15 seconds of sitting there i feel a THUMP in the back of my car and look up, and the female behind me (now the 4th car of about 12), has run into the back of me. i put the car in park, hop out go to her window (she is still on the phone) and she says i reversed into her!! :evil3: :evil3: , needless to say ph no's were exchanged and later that night after speaking to the husband (calling his wife an idiot) handed over $400. to me. :
blur1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #24
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

I dont see how a hands free st can be more ditracting than a passenger, i have to agree with flappist, because im on my L's i cant use anything (witch makes no sense) But my mum and aunt quite frequently want me to take them places, but them bieng totally different love having a huge argument over stupid little things, and i can honestly say 2 women going psycho at each other is far more distracting than talking calmly to someone on the phone.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #25
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had more close calls looking at the Hot chick in the car next to me than when talking on the phone.LOL

I love theses studies they do into driving and how doing X and Y in dangerous and increases the chances of a crash buy X amount, Like what is it a state the obvious study. just in general not singling out Rusty EB1 hear.

And why dose somebody always bring in a save the kid’s reference, what are we in a Simpson’s episode “Won’t somebody please think of the children” surprisingly enough kids aren’t just standing on the side of the road waiting to be hit buy a car.

All these little pointless laws we seem to have because we “need” then to save “lives” could all be ****ed off if people learnt to use a bit of common sense when driving and it would seem some police officers could use some as well when jumping on the traffic infringement band wagon at every chance they can.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #26
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
It doesn't work for couriers or other people who are constantly in the car, and need the phone for work though. I have done some delivery work, and got phone calls from work asking me to do a pick-up from some various factory. Sometimes these calls would occur on freeways so it wasn't safe to pull over, but I had to take the call anyway. This law will make people in those position's jobs a hell of a lot harder
It may be worth while mentioning it is already illeagle to talk on a two way or cb radio whilst driving, however taxi drivers have done it illeagally for years.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
According to the experiments I read for the assignment mentioned earlier in this thread, under certain circumstances basically no one has this capability.
According to guaranteed actual factual information I saw on A Current Affair, all EB1 falcon owners are hoons who drag race outside schools and speed in McDonalds car park....gotta be true...it was on TV and they showed a EB1 falcon, a school AND a Mcdonalds car park.......

Quote:
On the freeway the results were pretty consistent between talking in the car vs. talking on the phone, but on suburban roads where there is a lot more random events happening that are not predicted by the drivers mental model (such as cars pulling in/out of parking spaces or pedestrians stepping onto the road) not only did the behavior of every driver change (for the worse) when talking on the phone vs talking to the in-car passenger, but the driver was also asking the person on the phone many more questions, suggesting that they were often not even listening to or comprehending what was being said, because they were too focused on the road.
There were fewer questions directed to the in-car passenger because they gave the information and the right times when the driver wasn't too busy, instead of constantly giving information all of the time.

So based on that, there would be very few cars on the road
Random events such as maybe:

A car horn being played on a radio station or CD confusing the driver.... Ban car stereos
Children fighting in the back of the car taking the driver concentration...ban the carriage of children by a single adult
Failue to hear outside events because windows were closed....ban aircon.
Failure to stop due to lockup of wheels....ban cars without ABS

Or maybe just failure to comprehend complex issues and support of ineffective but warm and fuzzy kneejerk reactions....so what do we ban???
Old 02-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #28
Nashy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
I love theses studies they do into driving and how doing X and Y in dangerous and increases the chances of a crash buy X amount,
I agree many of these studies are pointless (one that springs to mind recently concluded that pedestrians talking on a mobile phone were x% more likely to be hit by a car), but many of them have un-deniable results.

I'm not saying that banning their use is the solution, but people need to be made aware of the fact that they can't always do the 2 things at once, there are a lot of factors involved.
Even just the difference between driving at night vs. driving in daylight on the same piece of road can have a big impact on the drivers ability to multi-task whilst driving

FG Mk II XR6T
Old 02-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
It may be worth while mentioning it is already illeagle to talk on a two way or cb radio whilst driving, however taxi drivers have done it illeagally for years.
Someone had better tell the QLD government......

s 300 248 s 300B
Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road
Rules) Regulation 1999
300 Use of hand-held mobile phones
(1) The driver of a vehicle (except an emergency vehicle or police
vehicle) must not use a hand-held mobile phone while the
vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) In this section—
mobile phone does not include a CB radio or any other
two-way radio.
300A Drinking liquor while driving
The driver of a vehicle must not drink liquor while driving the
vehicle.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #30
SDKC
To punish and enslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
What did couriers ever do before mobile phones??? What did any of us do before mobile phones???? There is no law against using CB radios, hence why most courier companies use them.

Now can anyone give me a definitive definition of "use"? This is what is to be determined. RR300 is Use handheld mobile phone whilst driving. Is pushing a button on your handsfree kit to activate the mobile phone using it? This Magistrate obviously thought so. Others may not.

Holding a coke, beer, burger, make-up etc.... whilst driving is not an offence, unless it is causing you to not have proper control of your vehicle. There are no specific rules against these and other things. There is a specific rule against mobile phones. (RR300)
SDKC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post