Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Is the media biased towards Holden and against Ford?
Yes, they're biased towards Holden 167 82.67%
No, they're fairly balanced both ways 30 14.85%
No, they're biased towards Ford 5 2.48%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford, Holden and the "media".....

Ive long resisted seeing an issue here but its becoming too apparent to ignore any longer, i've come to the conclusion that pretty much Holden get a better ride from the media than Ford, in some cases Holden get a free kick (AFM), in other cases a witch hunt against a ford model (XR8 is a good example) to effectively cause it to die...
Are most (not all) auto journalists and media generally "pro" Holden or not?

Discuss!!!

Caveat: (trolls need not apply)

Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Car advice seems to be pretty good (if not Falcon biased).

But there are a few publications that clearly have no credibility.

Unfortunately if a car model is not that well received by the car journo's then automatically they're biased. Mind you, some of these people then whinge about pointless things on here (FG door handles as an example).
Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I HATE HATE HATE the anti-holden sentiment on this forum, and I know what the results of the poll are going to be, which are biased towards holden, which will be the opposite results on a holden forum.
So the poll is biased!
And for the record, i am very neutral, and I believe the media is pro-holden simply because of their superior marketing, superior brand image and the old fallacy that holden is somehow australian :
Old 04-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
burnz
VFII SS UTE

maybe ford will kill the XR8 and/or rebadge it GS.
is it the media or is it ford blaming the meadia??
or just unfounded speculation.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I HATE HATE HATE the anti-holden sentiment on this forum, and I know what the results of the poll are going to be, .

You don't hate it enough to ignore the thread but.......

Anyone with two eyes knows the truth.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I HATE HATE HATE the anti-holden sentiment on this forum, and I know what the results of the poll are going to be, which are biased towards holden, which will be the opposite results on a holden forum.
Yet you voted that they're biased towards holden.... credibility???

Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah i edited my post to add my reasons.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
lamborghinifan

yes the media is biased towards holden, but hey, who gives out the most marketable material?
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghinifan
yes the media is biased towards holden, but hey, who gives out the most marketable material?

Ford in this case:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/30255/fo...final-verdict/

The first true comparison i have seen in some time.
The mainstream media, Wheels et al would not dare print such an article.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
Mr Hardware

And Falcon Coupe, to answer your question, i posted in this thread because I am interested in the media, not because of forum users holden/ford bias.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Ford in this case:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/30255/fo...final-verdict/

The first true comparison i have seen in some time.
The mainstream media, Wheels et al would not dare print such an article.
so did ford supply a media release model??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
And Falcon Coupe, to answer your question, i posted in this thread because I am interested in the media, not because of forum users holden/ford bias.

I asked no question of you, i made an observation.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
Mr Hardware

Fair call. To rebutt your statement....
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

I voted yes.

I had a discussion with my old man about this negativity towards Ford from the media. He told me how good the marketing from GM-Holden was back in the early days,( and today for that matter) with their main slogans being 'Holden - made for australians, The Australian car company etc etc.
He seems to think that the car culture is still there, ie/ when these slogans were being aired, many people bought these cars, their sons/daughters grew up and only bought holdens and so-on. Many of these people today have grown up in this environment and have influencential positions in the market place where they can push their own opinoins.
I guess, when Ford dropped the v8 back in the 80's?, this lost alot of support to the brand.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #15
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Yeah Holden bias, especially here in SA. But what do we expect?? Holden manufactured here, so of course they're going to want to portray them well. However that doesn't mean they should ignore any good thing ford does, and show both good and bad points of both car manufacturers equally.

"they" being the media.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
Mr X
mustang pilot

Well to hell with it.

Here we go.

For all the medias' support for the third world crap from Opel and Daewoo which has been peddled by Holden over the years to a willingly ignorant section of the community.........boo hiss.

TS Astra-absolutely the worst car ever made-period.

All those early skinny VB onwards Commies worshipped by the media when a Brock badge was attached....from an engineering point of view-total rubbish- but somehow better than the sum of their cheap and nasty parts..........more a credit to Brock than the base product.

Holden are perceived and treasured as "Australian" by the motoring media.

Why?

Ford Australia invented the ute .........but Holden marketing stole any idea of that with the VE ute which morphed from the FJ in their tv advert.

Which car is really Australian? The basic Falcon floor pan goes back to 1960 and has been an evolution right here in Australia since then.Same with the inline 6.

Why doesn't the media embrace the Falcon as the "Australian "car ?Its superior in almost every way.

Its got me stumped.
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #17
faalcon

I find the bias towards Holden almost sickening, found this one
http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...iates_fastest/
Now the difference between the Falcon and Commodore is quite small but they still have to pick on the Falcon
faalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to read some people mention the bias on here , at first i didn't think much of it until one day i bought the herald sun got to the cars guide , Huge front page spread on the cruze with a rough scetch , First phrase in the article said holden may build a small car . In a tiny box in the bottom of the paper it said ford g6et wins car of the year.
After that i been noticing it alot . Even just simple things like the v-facts just thrown in the article " and the homegrown Commodore" . All though it never worded to be false advertising , Its would be clever if it was written by holden but it supposed to be unbiased jornalist.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #19
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Ah controversy.

I dont know about biased, but they seem to turn a blind eye to Holdens short comings. It all depends on what media we are talking about.

Magazines like wheels and motor have a case to answer for, but to be fair to holden they have produced more models/concepts over the past 10 years; now it has been good and bad for them. But at the end of the day half the battle is keeping your brand in the mind of consumers, this they excel at.

You will always get some writers (if you can call them that, gover and dowling for example) that are just commercial sluts and will write anything to be popular.

I think Ford have made some good moves over the past couple of years, they really need to start hitting home how much better their product actually is in comparison; christ give small discounts to people who test drive Fords before purchasing or something, just get people in them!

I didn't vote in the poll, I do think there is favoritism, but its not that clearly cut.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #20
Mr X
mustang pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ah controversy.

I dont know about biased, but they seem to turn a blind eye to Holdens short comings. .
Well that has to be bias..Controversy-makes the world go round.If people actually did a bit of thinking,Holdens might not be as popular as they are
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #21
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Well at the end of the day Holden give the press more to talk about, they like nothing more than innuendo, rumours and BS in general; thats GM to a tee; hence why they are in the poop now.

But no doubt they will rise from the ashes, look victorious for getting through the GFC and no one will hear of or remember all the prop ups and handouts they got to survive in the first place. They will be the quintessential Aussie Battler!

Ford meanwhile will hum along, continue producing vehicles of higher quality and no one will know. THEY NEED TO GET BUMS IN SEATS!

It would be a classic if someone made a rumour up about GM/HSV, played it right and made it look like it was from a "credible" source. Word gets around and then the truth comes out that it was BS and puts egg on the face of the usual suspects.

Although most of the time their inconsistencies make them look like gooses anyway.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its because Ford is seen as the "American" car company by everyone, people who don't know a thing about cars especially. Being associated with "America" is considered "gay" (not cool for you oldies, not sexual preferences) by Generation Y.

Everyone hates Ford, its down to perception. Also, Holden has superior marketing skills, they would be rich if they were politicians.

What makes me laugh is that you can put a Ford and a Holden supporter in the same room, they'll bicker and fight tooth and nail over something, but the guy who mentions he likes Japanese cars, gets ganged up on and the Holden and Ford guys will defend each other.

Then its the Jap cars vs Aussie cars vs Euro cars.

Then its average joe vs motoring enthusiast.

We're all on the same team in the end, no?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-09-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's written is only their opinnion. Just because you think that a particular model of Ford/Holden is better/worse doesn't mean that they should. They write what they think.

Is it a case of them being biased or the people reading? The line may not be so clear.

There's so much talk of X publication being biased and such I think it's just a case of hearing what some people don't want to hear and taking it too much to heart.

If you think X model of car is a great car then what does it matter really what some journo says?

Personally I think they are pretty much similar cars so it doesn't matter to me.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #24
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
Yeah Holden bias, especially here in SA. But what do we expect?? Holden manufactured here, so of course they're going to want to portray them well. However that doesn't mean they should ignore any good thing ford does, and show both good and bad points of both car manufacturers equally.

"they" being the media.
Mitsubishi manufactured there as well but it didn't Stop the Advertiser running every "story" and rumour doing the rounds!!!

But in answer to the question - yes - Holden bias. "Ford have released a fuel efficient 5 star 200,000km guaranteed Falcon that folds into its own glovebox for easy parking, but it is believed that Holden will start manufacturing space shuttles in the new year".........

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

i voted 'biased toward holden' but i do live in adelaide, which is holden country.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #26
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
Well to hell with it.

Here we go.

For all the medias' support for the third world crap from Opel and Daewoo which has been peddled by Holden over the years to a willingly ignorant section of the community.........boo hiss.

TS Astra-absolutely the worst car ever made-period.

All those early skinny VB onwards Commies worshipped by the media when a Brock badge was attached....from an engineering point of view-total rubbish- but somehow better than the sum of their cheap and nasty parts..........more a credit to Brock than the base product.

Holden are perceived and treasured as "Australian" by the motoring media.

Why?

Ford Australia invented the ute .........but Holden marketing stole any idea of that with the VE ute which morphed from the FJ in their tv advert.

Which car is really Australian? The basic Falcon floor pan goes back to 1960 and has been an evolution right here in Australia since then.Same with the inline 6.

Why doesn't the media embrace the Falcon as the "Australian "car ?Its superior in almost every way.

Its got me stumped.
Mr X, this makes sense, so why would you expect the media to know it?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #27
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
What's written is only their opinnion. Just because you think that a particular model of Ford/Holden is better/worse doesn't mean that they should. They write what they think.

Is it a case of them being biased or the people reading? The line may not be so clear.

There's so much talk of X publication being biased and such I think it's just a case of hearing what some people don't want to hear and taking it too much to heart.

If you think X model of car is a great car then what does it matter really what some journo says?

Personally I think they are pretty much similar cars so it doesn't matter to me.
That right no matter which way your four cylinders face.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #28
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Here's a history question.

Who knows how far back we need to go to see the link between GM and the media?

Who knows what this link is?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #29
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Here's a history question.

Who knows how far back we need to go to see the link between GM and the media?

Who knows what this link is?

Gover blowing sunshine about the Polariser ?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #30
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

wheels/motor/carpoint et al, are they fairfax?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane