Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
BHDOGS
Banned

Default holden leaving australia?

I heard this on the radio and looked it up holden questioning car manufacturing in australia i cant post up the link preview dont know how to so heres the general link.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...e&section=news

BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: holden leaving australia?

Good riddance :p
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
bungarra

Probably want some government protection or is the Caprice cop car going to be made in Canada or the US?
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Good riddance :p
No, not good riddance. Firstly, Holden employ about 5,000 Australians. Secondly, if Holden pull up stumps, so will Ford, and Toyota, leaving 250,000 Australians out of work. Car manufacturing is a huge industry in Australia, and employ many, many people.

No Holden = No Ford. Cruze may be losing Holden bucketloads, and I don't like their cars, but I wish them no ill.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
No, not good riddance. Firstly, Holden employ about 5,000 Australians. Secondly, if Holden pull up stumps, so will Ford, and Toyota, leaving 250,000 Australians out of work. Car manufacturing is a huge industry in Australia, and employ many, many people.

No Holden = No Ford. Cruze may be losing Holden bucketloads, and I don't like their cars, but I wish them no ill.
Agreed big time

I have family that work at both Ford and Holden and that would send them to the wall not because they have massive loans etc but that is all they know what to do in the working world and they will prob never get work anywhere else

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

keep buying them cheap hyundais folks , they are great value till aussies dont have jobs ,end rant .... this is not good .
Old 27-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

My first reaction to that story is that Holden want more Government assistance. This is just pre amble to getting a helping hand and more funding.

At the end of the day, as much as I'm blue blooded, I wouldn't want Holden to stop Australian manufacturing. Or maybe they could go back to making Fords? After all, that was what Holden Motor Bodies actually made in the early days!!!! Old Model Ts.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
keep buying them cheap hyundais folks , they are great value till aussies dont have jobs ,end rant .... this is not good .

too true
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Same as if Ford go Holden will most likely follow. I think we will see them all leave at roughly the same time as Ford are making it quite clear that Falcon will be gone after FG.

In regards to workers, surely they must have some idea that the industry is shakey. If they are smart they will do something now to secure a job post closedown. Like part time study etc. You should never take a job for granted. I know its sad for people to lose jobs but it shouldn't be up to the rest of us to bail them out when the product is over priced and poorer quality.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its funny because its and American company and its the Americans that are manipulating the currency to keep it low to try and win back manufacturing which only makes sense that the jobs will leave here and go to them. We are sitting ducks with this high currency why pay Australian workers $66,000us a year to make cars when the Americans will do it for $24,000us, china is setting the manufacturing example with currency manipulating which results in lower costs and Australians feel rich buy default except when you have no job then the currency doesn't mean sh-t, ask Gillard its her good work that has resulted in our high currency.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I remember posting a thread a few yr's ago, when my wife meet with the CEO of one of the big 4 bank's where she work's, his opinion about the car manufacturing in Aus was very dim back then and qouted "Australia's car manufacturing is questionable" and he didn't believe that it was sustainable for the future.
Everybody here ridiculed me about it.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh and if holdens start getting made in America and people still buy them, which they will, the end product will be worst then what Chrysler pumps out, parts availability next to none and weeks and months wait time. Oil leaks you bet ya, reliability hahah.
Old 27-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
its funny because its and American company and its the Americans that are manipulating the currency to keep it low to try and win back manufacturing which only makes sense that the jobs will leave here and go to them.
No, their currency is low because they have a $14.3 trillion debt and they're
about to have the ceiling raised another $2.3 trillion to stop them defaulting.
By comparison, our $30 billion debt looks bloody lightweight...

Last edited by jpd80; 27-06-2011 at 07:42 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I remember posting a thread a few yr's ago, when my wife meet with the CEO of one of the big 4 bank's where she work's, his opinion about the car manufacturing in Aus was very dim back then and qouted "Australia's car manufacturing is questionable" and he didn't believe that it was sustainable for the future.
Everybody here ridiculed me about it.
Yeah funny that.... When You make a bold statement that is logical, & you get shut down as fast as pulling the plug on the computer.

It's absolutely logical that car manufacturing in OZ simply is not cost effective, as opposed to korea, or the like. Our wages are an absolutely devastating cost. Among other things. Look at the most "profitable" car, per unit, & it's not a commodore or falcon.... Or cruise for that matter.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 27-06-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

They are just having a big soook.

They have just jumped on the band wagon and are going to blame the Carbon Tax for, potentially, their demise.
It wasn't the Australian Govenment that said said we'd build the cruze here for that price!!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
HUNTER8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum
It's absolutely logical that car manufacturing in OZ simply is not cost effective, as opposed to korea, or the like. .
Korea have been protecting their auto industry for years with ridiculous restriction on imports, tax audits if you buy a foreign car etc.
Do a bit of research and you'll find the playing field is not even.
Old 27-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8
Korea have been protecting their auto industry for years with ridiculous restriction on imports, tax audits if you buy a foreign car etc.

They wouldn't be the only ones that do it either, we used to here but it's way too easy for our government to sell out every five minutes than to fight for what we have here these days
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8

The best one is the 25% education tax on imports.

Holden ain't going anywhere they are not gonna throw away the name. Manufacturing on the other hand will prob go. Isn't the Zeta platform now dumped by GM.
Old 27-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #19
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
We are sitting ducks with this high currency why pay Australian workers $66,000us a year to make cars when the Americans will do it for $24,000us,.
Maybe 66k if they work every Saturday. Most Ford workers are living on 3 days pay a week, so they are actually closer to your supposed US wages of 24k............
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
No, their currency is low because they have a $14.3 trillion debt and they're
about to have the ceiling raised another $2.3 trillion to stop them defaulting.
By comparison, our $30 billion debt looks bloody lightweight...
are you forgetting, qe1, qe2 and soon qe3. creating currency out of thin air, not even cost of production, just that account 600 billion bang. Well all the other currency become worth less than it was before. The federal reserve bank knows this and is trying to beat china at its own game. Although china just pretends to have massive growth by building citys that no one lives in, so there GDP goes up. If creating currency out of thin air worked then why not just say this account 14,3 trillion please and pay the debts, just doesn't work. Our currency isn't high theirs is just artificially low. If the us defaults on it loans then our currency want go up, it will be pulled down the hole with it, its just not backed by anything.
Old 27-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Maybe 66k if they work every Saturday. Most Ford workers are living on 3 days pay a week, so they are actually closer to your supposed US wages of 24k............
i meant by comparison, Americans have always been payed a low wage, compared to us as there dollar was worth more and the cost of living is less. You can buy a brand new house on a block in the states for around $80,000 try $500,000 in Australia would be like servicing the mortgage in Australia with $50,000 a year compared to $8,000 a year, now if your an American business and your paying an Australian with our now higher currency it makes sense to pay an American to do the job as the cost will be lower, just like china did to the Americans and the rest of the world.
Old 27-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #22
theboxmike

Personally i don't care for Holden. I would feel bad for their workers but i wouldn't care at all for the image.

Ford wouldn't stay as well if Holden pulled out though. Unless Australia became instrumental in the Mustangs future.....
theboxmike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #23
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxmike
Ford wouldn't stay as well if Holden pulled out though. Unless Australia became instrumental in the Mustangs future.....
what if ford USA would sell you a 4 door mustang cheaper than a xr8? would you buy one as long as you kept your job? and then I guess the american after market suppliers would make all the bolt on goodies so there goes our aftermarket industry.
Old 27-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #24
HUNTER8

Mustang becomes a world car in 2014.......
Old 27-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #25
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I'm prepared for a flaming here but if Holden, Ford or whoever can't stand on their own two feet without being propped up by taxpayers money, then they need to go.

This is the problem with businesses in the USA, "the too big to fail" claim is a misnomer.

Yes jobs will be lost but last time I checked there's a labour shortage in other sectors (like mining) all over Australia.
Old 27-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Why would Holden pull the pin, when they have just hired 100+ more staff, within the last 6 months?

Oh and it's not just the Holden workers that'd suffer as a result of pulling the pin on manufacturing. What about all the suppliers, businesses and communities that are set up round these plants? They'd end up as "ghost towns".

To me, it's some journalist fulling up a spot in the paper

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #27
bmorris

I don't think Holden are going anywhere they are just making some points to the current government that they are running the country into the ground.

Its about time Holden did this, being the "Australian" Car company in the eye of the public they will turn more heads when say they are in trouble because of the government.

In my opinion the main reason for this announcement is the carbon tax and how much of a negative impact it will have on manufacturing in the this country.

Good on Holden for finally speaking up about it.
Old 28-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I'm prepared for a flaming here but if Holden, Ford or whoever can't stand on their own two feet without being propped up by taxpayers money, then they need to go.

This is the problem with businesses in the USA, "the too big to fail" claim is a misnomer.

Yes jobs will be lost but last time I checked there's a labour shortage in other sectors (like mining) all over Australia.
yeah well when the last bits of manufacturing dry up those mines are gonna be awfully bloody crowded!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Why would Holden pull the pin, when they have just hired 100+ more staff, within the last 6 months?

Oh and it's not just the Holden workers that'd suffer as a result of pulling the pin on manufacturing. What about all the suppliers, businesses and communities that are set up round these plants? They'd end up as "ghost towns".

To me, it's some journalist fulling up a spot in the paper
a hundred more staff ? trust me, to big companies they are just numbers on a piece of paper, and should the head bean counters deem it no longer viable, they will be back down the CES faster than you can say jack russel.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #30
Falcman0o7
Banned

Holden is safe, We can't have australias best car maker going anywhere! oh no!
LOL! As mush as i would like to see them go, Nothing good would come from it at all so i wish them well.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post