Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Default Home-made car cover

Of a night, my recently purchased AU3 shares a largish shed with our cat.

Seems the cat really likes our new car and spends most of the night wandering around on the bonnet, roof and bootlid = cat's hair and pawprints
:(

Animals inside the house are not an option. Apparently drowning the cat is also not an option so unless someone in here has an alternative, a car cover may be the way to go.

One problem with that is that the car has a mobile aerial and I don't know that I'm all that inclined to be fiddling around with that at each car cover on/off. The idea of constantly fitting/unfitting a car cover does not fill me with joy, either.

Sooooo, what I'm considering is making a lightweight rectangular frame attached via 2 pulleys to garage roof bearers and draping a home made "car cover" over that. The frame would be a little longer and a little wider than the car so when lowered it should cover the car with minimum of fuss.

The "car cover" material is what I'm really interested in. My first inclination is to go with lightweight nylon. I'm sure that my wife could fabricate a nylon cover on our sewing machine.

Anybody done something similar?

Anybody got a better idea? (the cat has to stay, lol)

Anybody know where to buy lightweight nylon fabric?

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote