Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Had fun the other night

So Monday afternoon we were in the Kedron area, we had to take one of our pet rats to the vet and have him put down (yes, pet rats, dont start). So after that we were a little down. The car was parked at a friends place.

We got in the car to go home, tried to start it and: "Rr-Rr-Rr-ticktickticktick" Hmmm.. OK, turn radio and lights off, try again: "Rr-Rr-ticktick-Rr-tickticktick" Right, check the fluid levels in the battery. About level with the plate, so not too bad, but could use a top up. Got some distilled water from our friend, filled the cells and went inside for a cuppa.

After waiting for a bit, went out and tried again..... with no success. Our friend said she might have some jumper leads somewhere. She found them and brought her commodore around. Hooked up the leads but within a minute, there was a burning smell. Before I could try and start my car, the wisps of smoke coming from the clips got my attention, tried to unhook them, but the leads melted off the clips. Closer inspection revealed the problem, 270Amp load limit... the fine copper core just melted. Hmmm no good.

One of her neighbours offered to help, brought around his Hilux surf and his leads. Hooked it up and gave it a bit of a rev. Gave it a minute, and tried to start mine, but nothing. Just the futile tick of the solenoid. Then he said he'd hook it up to the dual battery setup. tried that, still nothing, just more futile ticking.

So we gave up, by now it was about 7:30 at night. He was nice enough to offer me a lift to the Kmart in Toombul (which I wasnt aware was open till 9). Got a battery (for $145, ouch, just paid $90 in vet bills) and got back to the car. At which point I find that the battery, which was the only one vaguely suitable, was about an inch taller than the old one, with the terminals in a slightly different location. But by then I was too frustrated, I MADE it fit.

The crowning moment, was when I turned the key and the car burst effortlessly into life. A sigh of relief. Drove back home to Wynnum, got some take away, which I enjoyed with a beer.

I hate cars sometimes.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post