Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
MAV50L
Banned

Default Insurance Claim Info Required.

HI all
Im hoping there are some insurance gurus out there that can let me know where things are heading.
For starters Im in NSW.
Last week I T boned a car in my 4x4. I was not found to be at fault as the car I hit had come out of a side street and did not give way to on coming traffic. The police attended the scene and have charged the other driver. The person I hits insurance has admitted liability so thats a start.
As I was not at fault I have made a direct 3rd party claim with their insurance company which they have accepted.
I did not go through my own insurance as I was not at fault and with the damage done to my vehicle it would of been definately written off. Seeing as though my insurance does not really reflect the replacement value of the truck having it written off and loosing it totally is not an option.
So here is the kicker. The truck has been quoted on by the insurance company and has been deemed a financial total loss. It is being assessed by the insurance company on Wednesday. The truck is still physically drivable (but somewhat illegal without lights etc) and would not be a hard repair but financially to them its not worth it.
I am not allowed to touch the vehicle to make it driveable(put lights in it etc) until it has been assessed by them and they have given me approval!
Now here come the questions. The insurance company has told me that the vehicle will be listed as a Repairable write off , the insurance will be cancelled and I will be paid out but get to keep the salvage.
Here is where the questions start and I need some help......................
How do they come up with the vehicles value when Im not insured with them? Do they go off what its agreed value is with my company? They have my insurance details so could get that info pretty easily.

Can they list my vehicle as a repairable write off and cancel the rego when the car is not insured with them and they actually have no claim on the vehicle? If it was a statutory write off I would understand that for safety reasons but its only a financial write off.

These are the two main questions I have at the moment but Im sure many will come to me. Im really annoyed about the whole thing at the moment as they will not cover me to get a hire car as its a third party claim and the long weekend without a set of wheels is pretty damn boring.
Also I will not get paid out until their insured (person at fault) has paid their excess which they have up to 3 months to do while they are waiting for their car to be repaired.
Any help is really appreciated. If you dont want to give any answers in public thats respected and if you PM me it would be great. Any help and info I may get will go no further then me.
This is really killing me!
Matt

MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote