Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Get an extra 5km per litre easy peasy!

Driving a manual V8 like me (or any other performance car) is a constant battle between temptation and restraint...

I normally use 17.5 Litres per 100km in a mix of 65% city, 35% highway driving.

Yep, I like to plant boot and hear the awesome noise at every opportunity - that's why I got a V8!

But it is quite an expensive hobby - enough to make me consider a 4 cylinder for my next car.

But I read an article about economical driving the other day, it was all common sense but you just don't think about it when you're driving, I decided to give it a go just to see.

Here's the main things I did:

Change up below 2000rpm. Basically keeping the revs as low as possible.

Very light throttle openings.

Anticipate upcoming light changes and traffic stoppages and coast down through the gears rather than sharp braking - this shuts off the cars fuel use during this time.

Turning off the ignition if you know you'll stationary for more than 30 secs.

Sounds boring but it was actually quite fun - it also made the odd burst of full noise that I allowed myself so much more of a treat!

I did miss the odd set of lights by not accelerating fast enough up the road, but this really balances itself out - often the next lights go red anyway, or often they go green by the time you get there - ie if you had've got there faster you would've had to stop.

I reckon I got nowhere any slower or later than normal.

It made me realise that I spend so much time in stop start traffic, planting boot achieves absolutely nothing but drain your fuel tank.

SO, anyway, the result - 12.5 km per litre - the savings are ridiculous! I could not believe what my trip meter was telling me.

I will keep doing I reckon - I'll still have a bit of fun when neccesary, but it just makes so much sense to pay attention to what's happening with the gas pedal - plus you don't have to worry as much about speeding fines.

Oh did I mention it was actually quite enjoyable? Maybe I'm getting old!

Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post