Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #19
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

GTFPV wrote; "this morning at 5.30 am i was travelling on the M4 motorway at 100km's an hour there was no cars in front of me I was in the middle lane straight section of road. When BANG,,, something hit the back of the car and hard".

ONE SHOULD keep to the left lane when on the M4 (or other freeway category roads) when the road and left lane is clear of other traffic, and only merge to the middle or right lane as the need to overtake arises.

Keeping middle unless overtaking, though legal - is a typical example of Australia's lack of driver training and often leads to circumstances such as this, where the vehicle in effect, is a moving 'road block' to much faster traffic which inherently congregate around the middle and right lanes, though they too should use the left lane if it, and the road is clear. It only takes one or two innattentive drivers to come to grief and primary examples like this are why I'd not raise intercity freeway speed limits, much as I'd like to do so.

** For those outside Sydney, the M4 in Sydney contains three unbroken lanes for the majority of its length with a left lane shoulder width varying 2.0 - 3.0 metres.

Glad your okay anyhow and hope it all works out, I am sure it will.

I have text in the Road Users Handbook highlighting freeway lane use in relation to 3-lane sections of freeway/motorway that will become national with time, and under 'crashes' - that one should 'instinctively', immediately, switch off the ignition of crashed immobilised vehicles and to then immediately switch on the hazard-warning lights to prevent other traffic joining to joy. The same hanbook suggests to carry a warning triangle and vest, see Sig.

ASYLUM SEEKER (Below): AUTO ONE stores now sell a Euro/World standard triangle for $22.95 (Rubber feet, made in Chine to EN/ECE Spec & E marked).

Race & Rally of Greenacre in Sydney also sell a Euro/world unit for $18.95. (Korean made to UN/ECE27R Spec and E marked).

The BMW and Hella units per Sig, have higher wind survivability owing their 'spidery legs'. All being UN/ECE items - they perform in reflectoring and daytime use via their inner orange fluro triangle,- exceptionally well. All these items I've used on road and each exceeds the Australian Standard 3790 in all performance parameters.

Avoid LED units, tried and tested, hopeless. Ditto Big W's LED $44.95 warning device - it blew over when a truck went past, too small too.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 26-09-2005 at 11:50 AM.