Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
DougM

Default Buyer Beware!!!

Hi everyone.....

Just wanted to let you know about a private sale that's gone terribly wrong.......

One of the project managers at work recently bought a near new Toyota Hilux SR5, privately. The car is financed through a broker. The finance company did a REVS check and the car was clear. My mate also did his own REVS check for his own peace of mind.

It turns out that the car has had a body swap!!!!!! The chassis is from a base model Hilux which was bought legitimately. The thieves stole a top of the range SR5 in the Northern Territory and swapped the complete body from the SR5 onto the base model chassis....This way the chassis and engine number cleared with REVS.......Apparently the SR5's are now huge business with thieves.......

Here is the clincher.....The police came and impounded the car, no ifs or buts..........It looks like my mate is stuck paying off a car he no longer owns even though he has done nothing wrong!!!!!!!! What really gets under my skin is that even though the title of the car is with the finance company. he loses out.......No one should lose out because of these ruthless thieves but it just drives me mad that the big companies are covered but the average guy gets bent over.........It's just wrong.....He has 2 young kids and is now stuck with this huge debt and no car......

My mate has spoken to a few solicitors, the usual TV/Radio programmes and they all say that there is probably little he can do about it.....

So all I can say is, be very, very careful if buying privately!!!!

Take care.

Doug.

DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post