Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Re: vicious dingoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Call the police if they are up to no good? Or understand they are just trying to knock on my door, and Id talk to them and probably tell them Im not interested in their better phone deal. See Im a human, not a dingo.
I can only assume you don't understand what I'm saying, you have the ability to rationalise, a dingo/dog does not...

Quote:
I can only assume based on your analogy that its their home, that your view is we dont have any right to elevate our needs over those of an animal. Then I can also only assume youre a vegetarian? Because if youre not, then you have to recognise you see yourself as a species above the other species you share the planet with, that is you dont live by a standard youre now setting for others. If that were not true, you wouldnt eat them. If you dont eat them, well good for you, however I do as do millions of others. Point, humans are the ultimate predator on this planet, and I have no qualms with entering the habitat of other animals, and protecting some habitat for said animals, and hunting them to manageable numbers and protecting some animals.
When did everyone become so obnoxious about 'their' rights as top of the food chain? Just because I'm at the top of it, it doesn't mean I have to kill everything if I'm threatened by it.

Vegetarian or not, I don't eat dingo...and I hardly see what that has to do with me believing that a protected species should not be put down because a person has willingly gone into their environment and suffered the consequences of being irresponsible.

Fishermen don't just catch everything and kill it, they understand and respect the animals of the ocean, and understand that every day they go out fishing, they could come across an animal that has the 'potential' to kill them, sting-rays, sharks, saw fish, sword fish, jelly fish, the list goes on.

But with a dingo, it doesn't seem to matter.

Why is that so hard for a person to understand?

This article was never about hunting to maintain numbers, it was about killing an animal that behaved as a wild animal would...ergo, our rights are more important. You believe that they are, because we're top of the food chain - I believe you're selfish to think you're that important. But I guess my belief isn't important, because yours is.

You don't see every day people walking into a lion enclosure do you? A lion is just a big cat isn't it? What's the problem there, oh that's right, the lion will kill you - a dingo is no different.

Quote:
'Conditioned' at varying times means different things. The animals that stay away from humans and their campsites would not be conditioned, those who are less human averse are seen to be 'conditioned'. At other times, only an animal that has approached a human, not simply the campsite, would be seen as conditioned. That definition will change depending who is in government, who is running the Parks and Wildlife Dept and what pressure groups have the most clout, not to mention if there is no current public awareness (out of the peoples minds) then the issue will be ignored while if attacks are recent its more likely to be in the peoples mind and a hot potato a government will have to juggle. Youll have business groups in the area, family groups, animal welfare groups, and simply opponents of whatever the current government happens to be all vying for some angle.
I'm not sure where you got that from, but conditioned means the same thing every way you say it, there's no double meaning.

Humans are conditioned to believe they are more important than anyone else, I don't believe we are.

I don't have to agree with you, nor do you have to agree with me.

Quote:
Sometimes the issue will be ignored, and sometimes a government will need to please all groups, all with opposing views. Like it was mentioned earlier, some animals were relocated from the Island to the mainland due to high populations of Dingoes, an act that is illegal as they are a declared pest on the mainland. Sometimes, the number of animals on the Island is found to be too high for the ecology of the Island and a set number are targeted, sometimes culled, other times relocated.
I don't know how much you've read about dingoes, but according to Fraser Island's Dingo Management strategy they will 'humanely' destroy, any dingo that is seen as aggressive or dangerous...so according to that logic, there is a potential for all of them to be destroyed, at some point.

Funnily enough, most of the attacks that have occurred on Fraser are; in line with Dingo breeding season, so of course they're going to be more territorial...but no one seems to take that into consideration, because Easter is a lucrative time of year on Fraser, there are $$$ to be made...

Quote:
Your past numbers wont mean much.
Animal control is about that. They feed on not only what they can catch, but what they scavenge. Oh, and they've been reported to have brought down horses too. Not that Im avenging horses, but the idea they only take small prey is so uninformed its funny. In large enough numbers, they will take down almost anything, including cattle. Another reason to cull SOME, the size of the prey is determined by the number in the pack.
I'm fully aware of what animal control is - this isn't animal control, this is revenge, plain and simple.

Quote:
I wont argue that people have not done the wrong thing, they have, nor that the parents of this young girl should have been more vigilant, they should have and I bet they know it. But Im also not going to attack the parents as its easy enough to do, and I highly doubt it was intentional. As someone else said, kids are quick and sometimes a parent has too much on their mind.
I'm glad you won't, I've got nothing against this family, but responsibility really needs to start being taken by people, especially as we go into their natural habitat.

Quote:
But Im also not going to cry when a few dingoes are shot. It isnt their Island, its ours being the dominate species. And Im not saying all Dingoes should be removed, it should be shared, they are part of the allure of the Island. However if it comes to a choice between animal and human, Ill choose human every day.
You just supported my reasoning that more people I meet, the more I like my dog

Quote:
You seem to think tourism on Fraser is new.

Where do you live? In a bark hut built in the canopy of the trees so as not to disturb the native habitat? Or do you live in a house, on land cleared at some point in time. Do you swing from the trees so as not to need roads that also result in dead animals? Or is your car and the wider economy more important than some animals?

Youre being silly, and spouting a double standard. They are not killing off all Dingoes on Fraser. They SHOULD be trying to manage the numbers. Unfortunately, its a hot potato, and the government wont please everyone.
So because I don't agree with you, I'm being silly? There's no double standard to what I'm saying...

The two biggest threats to 'purebred' dingoes, hybridisation and the human race...I think you'll find most of the dingoes on the mainland, are hybridised.

edit: I'm not begrudging you an opinion, I just have a different one.

I'm not a tree hugging hippy either, I believe that animals have their place - Fraser is theirs, not mine. The same as the rivers in the top end belong to the crocodiles, I therefore don't swim in them.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 28-04-2011 at 05:42 PM.