Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
david256

Default AU V8 starting issues

My starting issues have been going on for weeks, but intermittently, originally I thought it was battery so replaced with an Optima Blue Top, then I thought was the Alternator not charging the battery fully over a trip the battery was running down. btw the Old Alternator was dropping down to 12.5-12.6 volts under load so it was almost knacked.

Thought everything was good for a week or so but now its returned.

When the car is cold it starts straight away 19/20 times, but if I do a short trip or turn the car off immediately the car won't restart all you hear is the starter relay clicking, which I swapped around just in case this was causing the issue. But if I do a longer trip the car starts almost every time until the car starts to cool then starts playing up until I've left it for a while.

I was thinking it was Smartlock as I would need to leave it for 30-90 minutes before it would restart, but I would assume the issue would be there all the time whether hot or cold, also doesn't effect if I give it a whack. Does anyone have an idea what the cost of a re-manufactured BEM costs from Repco or Bursons etc.

I'm now thinking its the starter or starter solenoid just not sure how temperature would effect either.

Any thoughts before I spend some more money.

Thanks in advance.

david256 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post