Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 
Default Re: whats the most dangerous city in the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdo View Post
After my flight was cancelled in Detroit, I found myself in downtown Detroit at the Greyhound station in the middle of the night. I watched the hookers and drug dealers ply their trade outside for a while, then decided I had to get a room for the night. I didn't dare walk, so I caught a taxi for the one and a half blocks to the hotel, only to find out that it was a fake taxi... the driver picked up another passenger on the way, who climbed in the back with me, he bought some drugs from the driver and then the driver proceeded to take me to the hotel, where he demanded $20.00 for a $5.00 fare (800 metres). I just paid it and got out as fast as I could. The hotel had bars and wire mesh at the desk, I got into my room (air cond was broken) and was awakened 3 times during the night, by prostitutes banging on my door accompanied by their BIG minders, wanting business. I could see them through the peephole. I laid low, pretending not to be there. I hid my carry bag in the shower cubicle in case my door was rammed during the night, eventually leaned over from my bed to turn off the side lamp and was electrocuted by the frayed wiring. I got up in the morning, ordered a (real) taxi by phone to the airport and got the hell out of there. All the time I was carrying over $4000.00 US in my carry bag. A night I'll never forget.

I was at the Greyhound station in the daylight and it was bad enough...I walked the 800m into the city with no troubles but the taxi drivers looked like they wanted to kill me as they missed the fare. I was staying at a Holiday Inn and the girl was amazed that I walked in the door from the Greyhound.

It was definitely a poor place, lots of beggars and empty buildings but didn't really feel unsafe in the CBD area anyway. Got a hotel recommended taxi driver to go the Ford Museum and the airport, which was the only time I was out of the CBD.

Paris and Rome are up there for pickpockets, beggars and scams too.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post